To cut or not to cut, that's the question...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Recently aquired a set of 'King Cobra 3100i/h' irons which I'm playing really well barring the 6i which I have a tendency to put right of target...

I did a 'spec check' on'em and discovered that they're .5 inch over standard and a half a degree uprite so 7i is 37" and 62.5° lie as opposed to the standard 36.5" and 62° lie...

Now I measure up as standard/standard and I'm wondering if that extra half inch is why I'm putting the 6i right of target most of the time so my question is should I cut that extra half an inch off and bring'em back to standard length or should I just let sleeping dogs lay as it were...

It's just the 6 that's the issue, the rest are fine, and although I can easily extend them again if need be I am a little reluctant to ruin a perfectly good set of unmolested 'Nippon NS Pro' shafts, any views on the subject would be most appreciated... :thup:

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
As long as you're not holding them right down at the bottom of the grips, I'd be inclined just to get the lies sorted and not cut the shafts. Particularly if it's only the 6 that's giving problems.

bm

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You state twice, its just the 6 that's the issue, so why not try cutting the 6 only? If it makes no difference then at least you only have one to extend again. If I were hitting the rest well I would never start messing with length or lie

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's a tad strange it is only the 6i - assuming the specs of the 6 are the same in 'pro' with the set (lengths & lie angles plus that the 6i's loft is 'correct' to the 5 & 7)

as a general tendency if the lie angles are too upright then the shots could more likely go leftfield

& if the irons are too long then the tendency could be to go rightfield

but all of that can be over-ruled by an individuals swing motion pattern - usually to do with the motions manipulation of the dynamic lie presented into impact - for instance if the handle gets raised up a bunch so shaft more vertical - plus where exactly on the face the strike location is

but strange it's only the 6i - have you checked if the grip on the 6i is lined up if it is a grip with position indicators on?

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clubs are usually lengthened by a plug at the end of the shaft. Why not get them regripped and just take the plug out? Try just your 6 iron first.....

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Cheers 'coach' this was my thinking with the length as it's not a slice but a straight block and only by a few yds (maybe 5-10) but always the same...

When I first tried using it I couldn't hit it fer toffees and was all over the place with it 'chunking/scuffing/slicing/hooking' the works like but now at least I've come round to hitting it straight, only thing that bothers me is what have I 'subconsciously' altered about my swing to be able to hit it, never a good sign is it !...

Yeah 'jusme' may just lop a 1/2" of the 6i and see how it goes, I hit the 7/8/9/PW/SW with a very slight draw although as 'MIB' says it may well be a lie thing with the 6...

Anybody know how hard or easy stainless steel bends as I may want the lie altered, heard some say that some 'pro-shops' won't bend cast or stainless heads, only forged...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea, good point, I never use a 5i as I use a hybrid instead, I'll give it a dusting off next time I'm out and see what happens... :thup:

If the 6 is your longest iron in the bag it does raise another possibility - that instead of an accidental issue around alignment or swing you are simply more comfortable with it looking a little open at address.

I'm sure you will find out what's happening.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If the 6 is your longest iron in the bag it does raise another possibility - that instead of an accidental issue around alignment or swing you are simply more comfortable with it looking a little open at address.

I'm sure you will find out what's happening.

I did notice when out last night that if a make a deliberate effort to close the face at address the issue was quite a bit 'less prominent' but on the flip side to that is standing at address with the face of the club pointing left of target feels a little odd to say the least...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did notice when out last night that if a make a deliberate effort to close the face at address the issue was quite a bit 'less prominent' but on the flip side to that is standing at address with the face of the club pointing left of target feels a little odd to say the least...

Have you added a direction indicator to the face at address? It can be quite illuminating on longer irons.
Certainly wouldn't recommend artificially closing the face at address for a single iron - If it's square at address then you are into dynamic changes as coach alludes (if there aren't any underlying club issues)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cheers 'coach' this was my thinking with the length as it's not a slice but a straight block and only by a few yds (maybe 5-10) but always the same...

Anybody know how hard or easy stainless steel bends as I may want the lie altered, heard some say that some 'pro-shops' won't bend cast or stainless heads, only forged...

Depends totally on the club and the type of steel used and the willingness of the pro to give it a try.

Some cast clubs eg Vokey Wedges can be bent.

I agree with MIB when clubs are new you trim the butt end of the shaft to the required length. Shaft extenders are only put in to clubs that have already been assembled.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they were secondhand you may find that the 6 iron might have been damaged and a new shaft / head or whole new club has been substituted.
Look really closely at them side by side to see any differences especially the shaft.
Check the serial #match .
My guess would be a new shaft in the 6iron at some time that just quite doesn't match the others.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Get the loft/lie checked by a pro first and see what they suggest. I wouldn't cut personally until I knew there was an issue and even then if you can hit the others well I'd be working out why this one doesn't go where intended. It can't be all down to the club surely

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
All clubs are a matching set, all are a half inch longer than standard, I do have to say that I don't really use the 6/7 irons that much, mostly 3-wood, 7-wood/22°-hybrid then 8/9/PW/SW etc, to be honest my 5/6i's and for the most the 7i are just dead weight, just 2 or 3 holes that I come unstuck on 3rd, 10th and 15th are where I struggle with what tool to select if you know what I mean, my 22° is a bit to long but the 7i is a bit to short, a lot will depend on wind direction...

15th is a beggar, only 145yds but uphill and 99% of the time with a stiff left to right head wind, my 7i very often doesn't quite make it but the 22°-hybrid will sail right out the back if I catch it rite and if the wind's real hard and catches the ball it can go extremely right of target...

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Get the loft/lie checked by a pro first and see what they suggest. I wouldn't cut personally until I knew there was an issue and even then if you can hit the others well I'd be working out why this one doesn't go where intended. It can't be all down to the club surely

I'm playing with ball positioning at the moment, wondering if I may have it a bit to far forward/back in my stance and either pushing it or coming across it and slicing it a bit, possibly need to stand a bit further away from the ball as well, seem to be coming outta the back of the face more often than not which is why I questioned length...

Last edited:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The ole 6 has gone in for a checkup from the hosel down today, will get the results tomorrow, with any luck the lie will be askew and not just a swing issue on my part, much prefer to have to alter the lie than to have to compensate by altering my swing, we'll see...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Following clubchamps comment

The way to check it is the same and correct shaft is not to go by the label.

Put the 5,6 and 7 side by side and look at the steps in the shaft. Check that the spacings between steps match. Each club should have the first step closest to the hosel half inch further away with the 5 iron having the biggest gap between the two.