to Trump or not to Trump... that is the question

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If I had an invite to play for free I would probably go but I wouldn't give the shredded wheat headed orange skinned bigot any of my hard earned. Wouldn't even buy a tee peg.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm no fan of trump but the lure of the course was too strong so I paid my money and decided not to worry about it. Course is stunning, I'd play it again. If you pass up the chance to play, especially on a freebie, you're just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

D

Deleted member 15344

I would play Turnberry etc but wouldn't play Aberdeen - purely because the way he went about it and the treatment of locals living there

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On principle, if you feel that strong, do not play it. But, on reflection, the only person who will really be affected is you, on possibly missing out on a great golf course. It won't hurt Trump if you do not play.

The other thing is, there are hundreds of other horrible people running businesses we all benefit from. People buy from Sports Direct, including me from time to time, and he doesn't run his business in the greatest way. Hell, Primark is a huge chain, and they have questionable employment contracts with their "manufacturers". I understand the premise of not wanting to play there, but it won't affect Trump one little bit if you do not.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
No.

I normally couldn't give two hoots. However in Trump's case I wouldn't give him a brass farthing.

For example I'd love to play Turnberry but so long as Trump owns it I wouldn't even accept a freebie.

Well when you get offered one, give me a call, I'll have it. No problem whatsoever!:D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as its a freebee i will be playing it, just wondered if anyone would not due to it being Trump.

and for those who don't like him, i will be helping myself to free tee's Grumps Style:)

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely play it, my employers have had a few corporate days there and they say everything about the place is superb 👍🏻
As for not playing it because it's Trump's Place, get a life, golf and politics shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
We have the British Boys Amateur the week after next, so we are closed for that week. The club have organised us some reciprocals for that week, One of which is Trump Aberdeen, I can't stand the guy and certainly wouldn't give any of my money.

Now everyone says its a great course, so intrigued if it is up to the hype.

So would your conscience stop you playing somewhere??

It's a must pay! Put your conscience to one side and go over and enjoy a magnificent golf course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Given the opportunity I'd play it (I sold my soul to the devil a long time ago). For me, its about playing as many of the best courses as I can and I'm not going to let the politics of how a course was designed and constructed put me off.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm no fan of Trump but I had the opportunity to play Trump Links at Ferry Point in New York last week and didn't think twice about doing it... And I'm definitely glad I did. Say what you like about the man but he does know how to put together a world class golf course.

Fair enough if it makes you feel good to boycott it then good for you. I would if it was Kim Jong il/Un's golf course or someone like that... though that would be partly because his course record of 38 under par would make me feel inadequate as a golfer...

Trump does have a similarity to the late leader of North Korea though, evidence of which can be found on the 12th tee of Ferry Point.. They both like to lie about hole in ones:

IMG_1177.JPG

https://goo.gl/images/2RLjfF

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Played Aberdeen twice on the GM trip last year and the first day was probably the best golfing day I've had in terms of enjoyment. Also played Doral twice, had The Blue Monster to myself on Masters Sunday then watched it in a pool bar there, whilst my family used the country club.

Can't say I'm his greatest fan as a politician but thought Aberdeen was magnificent as a visual experience for the senses. Doral/The Blue Monster was fine as I got on for free.

Weirdly at both places I felt very welcome and they seemed more happy to see me then I sometimes feel at some much lesser courses in the UK.

So can't fault his golf clubs, can fault the man.

D

Deleted member 23344

There are plenty of good courses out there, so there is no need to play one owned by that muppet. I know that it is illogical, given that my absence would not affect him one jot, but I would never play one of his courses.