The grip

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest that 'the strike' is 'more important'!

And it's something that's easy for Coaches to 'teach' and steer a lesson around, so that both Student and Teacher can feel 'progress'!

It was, however, the 1st 'Lesson' in Hogan's 'Five Lessons' book - and a totally logical place to start.

I started playing with a baseball grip - after many years of Hockey. My first coach, fairly open-minded about where to start with someone already playing 'better than most' stated 'That's fine for now' and adjusted other parts of my swing first.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not going to bother watching 22.40 on a 'grip masterclass' the first few minutes were enough.
But if someone did, did he explain why you should hold it a certain way (clapping position) or did he just say hold it this way?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of good golfers have had unconventional grips (strong and weak) although I concede most pros will teach a new golfer the proper way and a lot will tweak a players grip in a lesson. I have one of those grip training aids that slips onto a club and will use it from time to time as I have a tendency to get weak.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suffered with push shots and push/ slices from day one. It was fixed by actually weakening my right hand. Something at least 4 pros missed, never looked back since

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I suffered with push shots and push/ slices from day one. It was fixed by actually weakening my right hand. Something at least 4 pros missed, never looked back since

Strange that. Seems to go against convention. I have a similar tendency re shots, but haven't dared to try your fix.. Though I am comfortable on the grip with a weakened right hand, I do make a point of moving it to be stronger.
Might try your way?
Has there been any feedback to you as to why your fix works in your case?

Mandofred

Visit site
A year or so I noticed while out practicing (and having a bad day so was trying different things) ....if I use a bit of a strong grip (right hand in particular) and open the face I was getting a nice easy draw. I have tried it off and on and still tend to do that. I asked the pro about that and he said (I think....memory sucks) that Rory M tends to do the open face address. No idea if that is correct or not. I've never been able to move my left hand to a strong grip, just too uncomfortable.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The simple advice I used to give beginners was to give them a grip [handle] in each hand and tell them it was a claw hammer and they had to hammer two nails vertically into a block of wood with each hand simultaneously
Hold that position then put one hand below the other.........that is the natural hand hanging and gripping position for golf.
On all of my life I have never seen anyone use a hand hammer with a weak or strong grip and I bet no one has ever had a lesson on holding a hammer.;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The simple advice I used to give beginners was to give them a grip [handle] in each hand and tell them it was a claw hammer and they had to hammer two nails vertically into a block of wood with each hand simultaneously
Hold that position then put one hand below the other.........that is the natural hand hanging and gripping position for golf.
On all of my life I have never seen anyone use a hand hammer with a weak or strong grip and I bet no one has ever had a lesson on holding a hammer.;)
You also don't hammer a nail in with a right to left motion so I don't think it's a superb analogy.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strange that. Seems to go against convention. I have a similar tendency re shots, but haven't dared to try your fix.. Though I am comfortable on the grip with a weakened right hand, I do make a point of moving it to be stronger.
Might try your way?
Has there been any feedback to you as to why your fix works in your case?
My right hand was too strong so that my brain didn't dare let me return to its natural position at impact. That would have resulted in a hook. I always felt that I had to hold onto the face through impact so it all made sense. Even today as a drill I use supper weak grip to get the feel of letting the club release through impact.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My right hand was too strong so that my brain didn't dare let me return to its natural position at impact. That would have resulted in a hook. I always felt that I had to hold onto the face through impact so it all made sense. Even today as a drill I use supper weak grip to get the feel of letting the club release through impact.

I think you are right about this. I have been using a comfortable (for me) weak right hand grip recently and I haven't sliced as a result.
Have hit some very good shots including nice draws.
Mind you, I'm not consistent- would be high single figures if I were.
But I am hitting my best shots with this weak right hand.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
A year or so I noticed while out practicing (and having a bad day so was trying different things) ....if I use a bit of a strong grip (right hand in particular) and open the face I was getting a nice easy draw. I have tried it off and on and still tend to do that. I asked the pro about that and he said (I think....memory sucks) that Rory M tends to do the open face address. No idea if that is correct or not. I've never been able to move my left hand to a strong grip, just too uncomfortable.

I think the reason is the physics of ball flight. Recently seen YouTube videos re this where the thinking of what causes a draw has changed.
Justin Rose did a tutorial some years ago on how to draw a shot.
Then years later, recently, has done another with the new thinking.
A video on YouTube compares the two videos he made.
Interesting stuff.