Iron grip vs driver grip

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Is it common to have a different grip for both?

My irons grip is fairly neutral but my driver grip is extremely strong.

I have tried to use a neutral grip on my driver but it feels very uncomfortable as I can’t seem to square my club at impact. With a strong grip everything seems to work more natural and I seem to get through the ball better.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Is it common to have a different grip for both?

My irons grip is fairly neutral but my driver grip is extremely strong.

I have tried to use a neutral grip on my driver but it feels very uncomfortable as I can’t seem to square my club at impact. With a strong grip everything seems to work more natural and I seem to get through the ball better.
I think I was a hack it out podcast recently that said most people set up to the driver wrong as they grip the club when directly behind the ball as opposed to starting their setup with the club in the centre of their stance to grip it and then move to hovering behind the ball. Personally I think it’s whatever you find works.

HPIMG

Visit site
I have the same grip only difference for me with driver is I have more spine tilt to make sure I hit up on the driver

D

Deleted member 1147

I think I was a hack it out podcast recently that said most people set up to the driver wrong as they grip the club when directly behind the ball as opposed to starting their setup with the club in the centre of their stance to grip it and then move to hovering behind the ball. Personally I think it’s whatever you find works.
Watch Matt Fitzpatrick, he sets up to the ball, with driver, with the left hand first in the correct ball position. Then adds his right hand.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a looser grip with driver, deliberately so. I can't trust it with my irons so go tighter. I make no claim that this is the correct thing to do, it's just reality.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Watch Matt Fitzpatrick, he sets up to the ball, with driver, with the left hand first in the correct ball position. Then adds his right hand.
That’s interesting. I think that is what the pros do well. They are exceptional at finding something effective for their swing.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Same grip for all clubs (except putter) unless I need a flip shot or to get out of a deep bunker.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same grip for both for me.

I have always set up with a neutral grip and use a grip training club every so often to make sure it is correct.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sadly I have similar issues, gripping the driver differently to the irons and again different to the short irons, It’s something I have been trying to alter and have a uniform grip, but sadly a lack of play means old habits are so easy to slip back into.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sadly I have similar issues, gripping the driver differently to the irons and again different to the short irons, It’s something I have been trying to alter and have a uniform grip, but sadly a lack of play means old habits are so easy to slip back into.

I have a library (dungeon maybe a better word) of grips that have all periodically produced decent shots and I tinker too much when something goes wrong
(Tweaked) driver grip at new year but didn't change the irons as they were working but I wanted same grip throughout so I'm trying to do the irons the same as driver for the last 3 weeks

(wedges had a 3rd different grip for less than full shots so I'm working on those too)

Its infuriatingly fun though

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Different grip I think, I’m guessing that’s down to shaft lean with irons? I don’t think I could get my hands in the same position.

I’d say with driver, my left hand is neutral to slightly strong (thumb pointing down the right side of the grip, ish), and my right hand is strong, more on the side of the grip, to almost underneath.

It’s definitely something I’m trying to work out at the moment, trialled a bit at the weekend after a couple of rounds where I was striking my irons fine but not getting any height in my driver. Turned my right hand to more on top of the club, it didn’t work, I felt like the club was going to come out of my hands and I ended up just chopping down on the ball for some reason.

Back to the drawing board!