THE GOLF "SEASON"

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How have you found the move? And where did you settle in the end..

Been looking pretty much everyday at my options, my Mrs thinks I care more about than our actual new home.. she's probably right :ROFLMAO:

We're settling in Billinghay, so my nearest and best options are South Kyme & Woodhall Spa. Had some good info off of Lincoln Quaker about Woodhall, but South Kyme that bit closer and is perhaps edging it with the social aspect for my partner and family. But any ideas on those or other options gladly accepted.

Glyn is the font of all knowledge for Lincs golf so you've been in good hands !!! I settled in the North of the county and play at Elsham. Once you're settled look me up and we can have a round. It's in very good nick at the moment hence this thread but the membership is second to none. Very welcoming !!! I did leave for 6 months to try somewhere else but came straight back haven't looked back.

Wolf

Visit site
Glyn is the font of all knowledge for Lincs golf so you've been in good hands !!! I settled in the North of the county and play at Elsham. Once you're settled look me up and we can have a round. It's in very good nick at the moment hence this thread but the membership is second to none. Very welcoming !!! I did leave for 6 months to try somewhere else but came straight back haven't looked back.
He certainly is, I do like the idea of Woodhall as it's so close by but the cost effective of South Kyme is winning at moment especially in the Mrs eyes :ROFLMAO: I'll keep working on her though....

Definetly take you up on that game though

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My club only has qualifying comps in the summer, April to October. I hate the winter when there is no opportunity to try to reduce my handicap.

D

Deleted member 15344

My club only has qualifying comps in the summer, April to October. I hate the winter when there is no opportunity to try to reduce my handicap.
Always an opportunity to reduce your HC - put a supplementary card in

D

Deleted member 15344

I have never heard of anyone at the club doing that, will have to ask around on the weekend.
What club is it ?

All clubs have to give people the opportunity to enter a supplementary card

Just pop into the pro shop and sign the book then put your card into your scorecard box

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
a seconder for the comments from Liverpool Phil

with the exception that if your handicap is as you state (4.5) you are only allowed to do as many as need to ensure competition status for next year. I.e if you have played 3 comps in the current year you cannot submit supplementary scores.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you have the standard 'winter rules' in place you can run them as Q; if you have lift clean and place through the green you can't.

That's why we have no qualifiers during the winter as that's the lift clean and place rule we have at ours i.e. through the green.

In addition, when the winter tees go out the course is significantly shortened and as it isn't a measured course, no supplementary card option either.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always an opportunity to reduce your HC - put a supplementary card in

Can't do so at my home course in the winter. The course with the winter tees out is significantly shortened and not a "measured" course. In addition, the winter lift clean and place rule we have is through the green, not just on closely mown areas. So no qualifiers all winter and no option to submit a supplementary card either.

Fairly common in west central Scotland on our clay based parkland courses.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So as above, we have winter tees which shortens the course considerably and I have played way more than the 3 comps. So no supplementary card option then. 😢

D

Deleted member 15344

So as above, we have winter tees which shortens the course considerably and I have played way more than the 3 comps. So no supplementary card option then. 😢
Ah didn’t realise you were cat 1 - and disappointing for you that the course is so short. It should all change when tbe WHS comes in though

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Their is no season,only golf at every opportunity,Medals,handicaps,breakfast,coffee and lately wine gums with my 12yr old are all well worth competing for

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ah didn’t realise you were cat 1 - and disappointing for you that the course is so short. It should all change when tbe WHS comes in though
I hope so, from what I understand I will be able to announce my intention to play a qualifying round and just play whenever I like for handicap adjustments.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope so, from what I understand I will be able to announce my intention to play a qualifying round and just play whenever I like for handicap adjustments.
see my post #49

As a Cat 1 player you are limited in how many and when supplementary scores may be submitted

A Member is limited to a number of Supplementary Scores in each year as detailed in below:
(a) subject to (c) below, Category 1 players may only return Supplementary Scores during the period 1 September to 31 December and only to the extent necessary to ensure that the minimum requirement for Qualifying Scores under Clause 25 is met. Category 1 players may only return Supplementary Scores over 18 holes;

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't do so at my home course in the winter. The course with the winter tees out is significantly shortened and not a "measured" course. In addition, the winter lift clean and place rule we have is through the green, not just on closely mown areas. So no qualifiers all winter and no option to submit a supplementary card either.

Fairly common in west central Scotland on our clay based parkland courses.
common up here as well, i can't think of a single club up here that runs Q comps in winter

D

Deleted member 15344

see my post #49

As a Cat 1 player you are limited in how many and when supplementary scores may be submitted

A Member is limited to a number of Supplementary Scores in each year as detailed in below:
(a) subject to (c) below, Category 1 players may only return Supplementary Scores during the period 1 September to 31 December and only to the extent necessary to ensure that the minimum requirement for Qualifying Scores under Clause 25 is met. Category 1 players may only return Supplementary Scores over 18 holes;
Why are you reposting that when it has nothing to do with what we moved on to discuss ? We were talking about the WHS

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think golf courses deserve a rest from the incessant pounding they receive by the feet and wheels of a full medal field - especially when those feet and wheels can do damage in wet weather that can take months to recover from.

I am happy that our last formal comp is at very end of October - though our Saturday and Sunday optional stableford comp continues to run throughout winter. Plus for those who need competition golf all year round we have the Winter League and Winter K/Os. Given a fair wind (and not too much rain and snow) come April the course should always be in good condition for the start of the summer competition season - as for this member that is what is important.