The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Gallagher also said Attwell’s integrity shouldn’t be questioned and is one of the most qualified VAR Officials in Europe, but that hasn’t been mentioned.

If we can't question a referee's integrity, why are they banned from officiating in games involving teams they support then? Surely if their integrity is beyond question, they wouldn't need to do that.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If we can't question a referee's integrity, why are they banned from officiating in games involving teams they support then? Surely if their integrity is beyond question, they wouldn't need to do that.
There would still be some unconscious bias and would also stop fans and pundits from crucifying them when they get a decision wrong that favours 'their' team. Common sense really

Swango1980

Visit site
The reason they are banned from refereeing games featuring teams they support has probably got very little to do with the fact the authorities think they'll be biased. It probably has much much more to do with the fact that if fans found out they supported a team, they would use it as ammunition against them when there was a decision they didn't like.

After all, just look at the reaction of Nottingham Forest when a VAR official was a Luton fan (not even playing). That says it all

PaulMdj

Visit site
Can you explain why an Everton victory was better for Luton? Surely the draw was ideal and a couple of those decisions you were 1-0 down.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Apparently Forest made no pre match complaint about the VAR official

Seems a bit of ado about nothing that story. Pretty sure I heard on BBC R5 this morning that Forest made the authorities aware that he was a Luton fan and nothing else.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seems a bit of ado about nothing that story. Pretty sure I heard on BBC R5 this morning that Forest made the authorities aware that he was a Luton fan and nothing else.
Information they would already have known as it is on record.

As has been posted repeatedly on here, the best result for Luton would have been a 1-1 draw. Now, most of the eggs are in the Forest basket.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I may have missed it in the furore, and the point may already have been made, but I wonder how much of this is being driven by the odious Mark Clattenburg? I didn’t realise until this morning that Forest have engaged his services as some sort of refereeing advisor.

Given his liking for a bit of self publicity that might explain the embarrassing Forest statement.

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah, I suspect they contacted PGMOL and mentioned him being a Luton fan, but simply didn't go as far as asking him to be removed.

Seems to me, especially as they employed Clattenberg, that they are looking at ways to point out various things to PGMOL, so that if they ever get more bad decisions, they can suddenly pounce on them with "I told you so, we warned you" type public messages.

Nothing against Forest fans, and I was quite happy to see them make a return to the PL. But, my personal feeling now is that I wouldn't be too disappointed to see them get relegated.

Billysboots

Visit site
There is nothing subjective about an official looking at video evidence for the handballs against Man Utd and Everton yesterday, one being given, and one not.

Those decisions weren’t given after video reviews. They were on-field decisions which were never in a month of Sundays going to be overturned on the intervention of the VAR because they were not clear and obvious errors.

Swango1980

Visit site
I may have missed it in the furore, and the point may already have been made, but I wonder how much of this is being driven by the odious Mark Clattenburg? I didn’t realise until this morning that Forest have engaged his services as some sort of refereeing advisor.

Given his liking for a bit of self publicity that might explain the embarrassing Forest statement.
I'm surprised you've only just found out about Clattenburg. When Forest employed him, I certainly remember there being a fair bit of publicity on it in all media, like Sky, Talksport, etc.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site

Do keep up old bean.

It's quite common in Europe, apparently? I'm indifferent to it either way and don't really see the point of it.

The tweet, in the way it was worded, has definitely come from the top I would suggest, rather than the Social Media admin lad/lass just suffering complete head loss and going off piste. 😅

Which makes it all the more embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I agree we've been shafted numerous times this season and it's getting tiresome now - we'd probably be *at least* 4-5 points better off if I'm being cautious with my estimates - which would give us a bit of a buffer, despite the points deduction.
BUT....there's way's to go about it and even if you're tweeting something from the official club account - the wording used is really not the wording to use! The tweet has been viewed more than 30m times in less than 24 hours and has 150k+ likes and numerous retweets, so there's clearly a large section of teams and fans outside of forest that agree with the sentiment...it's been discussed on here many, many times...but nothing is ever done. Best case, something positive, like some independent review of how utterly garbage the PGMOL are and somehow get things to improve - worst case, they get a fine which Marinakis will just throw money at.

Billysboots

Visit site
I'm surprised you've only just found out about Clattenburg. When Forest employed him, I certainly remember there being a fair bit of publicity on it in all media, like Sky, Talksport, etc.

I don’t tend to listen to Talksport these days - can’t be doing with Jeff Stelling, and Jim White proper grinds my gears. Not been the same since the lovely Laura ditched the breakfast slot 😇 And I rarely watch Sky Sports News.

So Clattenburg’s work with Forest was a new one on me. Has he been engaged as a result of a number of decisions going against them? That would seem to make sense.

I’ve not really been party to the discussion about this owing to my depression relating to events at Wembley yesterday. That really took most of my attention. As a consequence I have only really seen the third penalty decision, where Young went through the back of the Forest player. I cannot begin to imagine why the VAR didn’t intervene. If that had been a decision going against my team I’d be fuming. Haven’t seen the other two, but from comments I’ve read and heard in press and media articles this morning, opinion seems fairly split.

So, I agree Forest fans can, and should, feel aggrieved. But the club statement was utterly unprofessional. Nuno had it right yesterday - poor decisions went against his team. The club overstepped the mark. Massively.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do keep up old bean.

It's quite common in Europe, apparently? I'm indifferent to it either way and don't really see the point of it.

The tweet, in the way it was worded, has definitely come from the top I would suggest, rather than the Social Media admin lad/lass just suffering complete head loss and going off piste. 😅

Which makes it all the more embarrassing. Don't get me wrong, I agree we've been shafted numerous times this season and it's getting tiresome now - we'd probably be *at least* 4-5 points better off if I'm being cautious with my estimates - which would give us a bit of a buffer, despite the points deduction.
BUT....there's way's to go about it and even if you're tweeting something from the official club account - the wording used is really not the wording to use! The tweet has been viewed more than 30m times in less than 24 hours and has 150k+ likes and numerous retweets, so there's clearly a large section of teams and fans outside of forest that agree with the sentiment...it's been discussed on here many, many times...but nothing is ever done. Best case, something positive, like some independent review of how utterly garbage the PGMOL are and somehow get things to improve - worst case, they get a fine which Marinakis will just throw money at.
The last sentence was hilarious. 'Considering their options' shouldn't take them too long. I think their options are to do nothing and lump it.

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
The last sentence was hilarious. 'Considering their options' should take them too long. I think their options are to do nothing and lump it.
Quite. Unless Howard Webb owns a Bakery and Marinakis is going to threaten to burn it down like he did in Greece :LOL:

Even more embarrassing is a portion of our fanbase defending the club for "finally taking a stand and not just sitting back at taking it"....Fine to take a stand, but not in such a childish way.

simsini

Visit site
Quite. Unless Howard Webb owns a Bakery and Marinakis is going to threaten to burn it down like he did in Greece :LOL:

Even more embarrassing is a portion of our fanbase defending the club for "finally taking a stand and not just sitting back at taking it"....Fine to take a stand, but not in such a childish way.
So what are they supposed to do otherwise. All season, it's complain to PGMOL and get a letter of apology. The process of constantly getting letters of apology isn't really changing anything. The officiating, if anything, is getting worse.

simsini

Visit site
Yeah, I suspect they contacted PGMOL and mentioned him being a Luton fan, but simply didn't go as far as asking him to be removed.

Seems to me, especially as they employed Clattenberg, that they are looking at ways to point out various things to PGMOL, so that if they ever get more bad decisions, they can suddenly pounce on them with "I told you so, we warned you" type public messages.

Nothing against Forest fans, and I was quite happy to see them make a return to the PL. But, my personal feeling now is that I wouldn't be too disappointed to see them get relegated.
The bad decisions this season have so massively been against Forest, that it is very hard to believe they are just mistakes. Even Cloughie didn't stand for it in the past. See Juventus vs Derby in 1973.