The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
Biggest night in Villas recent history tonight! Will be absolutely thrilled if we can get through - but no easy feat - Lille have the best home record in the french top division.

1 goal lead going into it, lets go out and get the job done boys!!

UP THE VILLA
Really hope yous go through.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the EPL is the best league in the world, and I’ve heard this for years, why aren’t the 4 English teams that qualify for the CL contesting the semi finals every year?

I prefer the EPL over La Liga but that’s purely because of the style of football played. As for the bottom half of La Liga is Championship standard, it’s not that good. I get to see a fair bit of it, sometimes in the flesh at Almeria. Poor stadiums, fans who are quite happy to spend most of the match chatting, matches that are played at half speed apart from the final commitment to score.

I think the fair point is that the top 2-3 in the big European Leagues can all beat each other depending on the night. Maybe the top 2 in most leagues, maybe a bit deeper than that in the Premier League.

The Premier League has, I think anyway, much greater depth than the other leagues and that lifts it a level but, as I said, by the time you get to the quarter and semi finals, there is not much to split the top of each of the big leagues.

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
If the EPL is the best league in the world, and I’ve heard this for years, why aren’t the 4 English teams that qualify for the CL contesting the semi finals every year?

I prefer the EPL over La Liga but that’s purely because of the style of football played. As for the bottom half of La Liga is Championship standard, it’s not that good. I get to see a fair bit of it, sometimes in the flesh at Almeria. Poor stadiums, fans who are quite happy to spend most of the match chatting, matches that are played at half speed apart from the final commitment to score.
We won’t be contesting the semi-final each year because our best 4 from last season are not necessarily the best 4 this season.

A very good example of this is the German League, currently the best German team are contesting the Europa League and 2 of our “best” 4 are currently in 6th & 8 position.

Basing the Best League in the World on current CL performances is just daft.

Swango1980

Visit site
This whole debate was initiated by your statement “It seems like all English teams in the Champions League have ultimately been a major disappointment this season.”

That, imo, is a complete overreaction to the truth, do I believe the PL is currently the best league in the world? Yes, absolutely.

Does this mean we currently have the best Club in the World? Also Yes, in Man City.

Neither of the above statements mean they are unbeatable or there aren’t other strong leagues and Clubs.
Yes, it was initiated by my comment. And, I stand by it. In fact, if Premier League clubs and their fans truly think they have the best league in the world, I'd be shocked if they were not majorly disappointed. Whereas, last season, I'm sure there was no shortage of people using Man City's win to back up their argument the Premier League was best in the world.

Are City the best team in Europe? Last season, yes. This season, I don't think so. Sure, anyone can get beat by a lesser team. But, I don't think teams like Real Madrid are a lesser team. I look at teams like Bayern Munich and see a lot of excellent players.

CountLippe

Visit site
I wouldn't say the results are that surprising.
City aren't as strong. Liverpool have fallen off a cliff recently as have Arsenal to a lesser extent.
Last season the prem was in a bit of transition - Newcastle and Man Utd aren't the strongest 3rd / 4th placed finishers we've had.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Yes, it was initiated by my comment. And, I stand by it. In fact, if Premier League clubs and their fans truly think they have the best league in the world, I'd be shocked if they were not majorly disappointed. Whereas, last season, I'm sure there was no shortage of people using Man City's win to back up their argument the Premier League was best in the world.

Are City the best team in Europe? Last season, yes. This season, I don't think so. Sure, anyone can get beat by a lesser team. But, I don't think teams like Real Madrid are a lesser team. I look at teams like Bayern Munich and see a lot of excellent players.
We are not majorly disappointed because we are not idiots, it’s Football, there are upsets and sometimes the best teams don’t win!

How many times have you seen lesser teams get a result in league matches or FA Cup matches? Are Palace now better than LPool because they beat them last week?

It’s you and others using 1 or 2 results to back up a point of view.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't say the results are that surprising.
City aren't as strong. Liverpool have fallen off a cliff recently as have Arsenal to a lesser extent.
Last season the prem was in a bit of transition - Newcastle and Man Utd aren't the strongest 3rd / 4th placed finishers we've had.
I think there's more impact of player injuiries and tiredness that affects the PL more than most in Europe, simply because of the number of games they all play and even more if youre successful. It has to take it's toll.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We won’t be contesting the semi-final each year because our best 4 from last season are not necessarily the best 4 this season.

A very good example of this is the German League, currently the best German team are contesting the Europa League and 2 of our “best” 4 are currently in 6th & 8 position.

Basing the Best League in the World on current CL performances is just daft.

It is, without a doubt, a moving feast. Were they the top 4 in Europe when they qualified last May, making the EPL the best in the world? TBH, it’s almost impossible to say. Is 8th in the EPL as good as 8th in La Liga or the Bundesliga? And what about the French and Italian leagues?

I don’t think there’s much between the top x in any of the leagues, nor do I subscribe to the strength in depth argument. 1) the bottom 6 in the EPL are seriously dire. 2) there is no mechanism is place to compare them. 3) the Europa league/conf, isn’t exactly loaded with EPL teams.

PaulMdj

Visit site
It is, without a doubt, a moving feast. Were they the top 4 in Europe when they qualified last May, making the EPL the best in the world? TBH, it’s almost impossible to say. Is 8th in the EPL as good as 8th in La Liga or the Bundesliga? And what about the French and Italian leagues?

I don’t think there’s much between the top x in any of the leagues, nor do I subscribe to the strength in depth argument. 1) the bottom 6 in the EPL are seriously dire. 2) there is no mechanism is place to compare them. 3) the Europa league/conf, isn’t exactly loaded with EPL teams.
The mechanism to compare is the quality of the players and which Leagues they are attracted to.

There is no doubt without the money the PL wouldn’t attract the players, but it’s also the investors and sponsorships it attracts.

Add in the media exposure and the quality of the opposition week in, week out, all those factors can be added together to determine which League and why it csn be considered the best.

Swango1980

Visit site
We are not majorly disappointed because we are not idiots, it’s Football, there are upsets and sometimes the best teams don’t win!

How many times have you seen lesser teams get a result in league matches or FA Cup matches? Are Palace now better than LPool because they beat them last week?

It’s you and others using 1 or 2 results to back up a point of view.
I'm really struggling to understand where you are coming from now. You just seem to desperately trying top defend that football fans cannot be disappointed??? And if they are, they are idiots?

Were Liverpool fans disappointed with their performances last season. Where they disappointed about going out in the FA Cup to Man Utd or losing to Atalanta 3-0 at home? Where Spurs fans majorly disappointed not to win the Champions League when they got to the final? Where England fans disappointed when losing to Italy in the Euro final, or being eliminated in a tournament by Iceland?

Where City fans majorly disappointed about being eliminated last night. I bet many where, and many hoped to win the title again. Maybe there are some that are not disappointed, and are content by telling everyone else in the world that they are still better than anyone else. But, maybe they are actually the stupid ones?

I'm not using one result, clearly. It isn't like one PL side was in the Champions League, and they were unlucky to get eliminated. I'm using the results of FOUR sides in the Champions League, and where they ended up.

Swango1980

Visit site
I think there's more impact of player injuiries and tiredness that affects the PL more than most in Europe, simply because of the number of games they all play and even more if youre successful. It has to take it's toll.
That could be a factor if comparing to German and French leagues, but would it also be true when comparing to Italian and Spanish leagues? I know we have the League Cup, but in the early rounds at least, the top clubs seem to use them to rotate some players around. The League Cup, in one sense, might be a useful competition for some PL clubs, as it gives lesser played squad players more game time, and might just get them sharp if needed later on, or give managers an opportunity to see a young player emerge that would have struggled to get a chance otherwise.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
The mechanism to compare is the quality of the players and which Leagues they are attracted to.

There is no doubt without the money the PL wouldn’t attract the players, but it’s also the investors and sponsorships it attracts.

Add in the media exposure and the quality of the opposition week in, week out, all those factors can be added together to determine which League and why it csn be considered the best.

I think you’re conflating two different aspects by throwing in the sponsorship/investors. But your first sentence almost disproves your assertion. You say it attracts the best, which I’ll counter with the original question, why aren’t the 4 EPL teams contesting the semis? And you can add, why isn’t it an all English final?

The EPL is supremely well marketed by Sky which, because of its reach, attracts huge advertising and sponsorship deals. And that money attracts outstanding players but not necessarily the best in the world. Where did Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo(at his best) et al play their football? And they needed great players around them to achieve what they did.

There’s the CL, but there’s also the Europa League & Europa Conference which allows us the opportunity to compare teams a lot further down their respective leagues. For me, in my humble opinion, those leagues show there’s virtually no difference between the various domestic leagues.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That could be a factor if comparing to German and French leagues, but would it also be true when comparing to Italian and Spanish leagues? I know we have the League Cup, but in the early rounds at least, the top clubs seem to use them to rotate some players around. The League Cup, in one sense, might be a useful competition for some PL clubs, as it gives lesser played squad players more game time, and might just get them sharp if needed later on, or give managers an opportunity to see a young player emerge that would have struggled to get a chance otherwise.
The FA/PL dont give clubs in European comps any allowance with the fixtures. Take a look at the European club fixtures, and you will see the Spanish for sure are given more time between their games when they have a European comp match to play.
As an example, in the 20/21 season, Liverpool played 63 games in the season.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was last night down to Pep with his tactics and substiutions?
Talking to my lad this afternoon. He went to the game. The first thing he said was “ why did Pep put Foden on the wing first half and Silva in the middle.”. He said that Foden has been playing his best football in the middle of the park whilst KDB was out.
He switched it at half time and Silva was on fire. So you do have a valid point.
Re City going out. It is what it is. 33 chances and one goal. Just not good enough. But as has been said. City dominated a poor Real Madrid team, my lad said it was like City a bottom six team and no one expected Madrid to park the bus. That said. It was a fantastic Defensive display, so credit where credit is due.
Not lost any sleep over the result. As a City fan you expect nothing. Am sure Pep who sets targets will have the squad focused on winning the Prem league now.

PaulMdj

Visit site
I think you’re conflating two different aspects by throwing in the sponsorship/investors. But your first sentence almost disproves your assertion. You say it attracts the best, which I’ll counter with the original question, why aren’t the 4 EPL teams contesting the semis? And you can add, why isn’t it an all English final?

The EPL is supremely well marketed by Sky which, because of its reach, attracts huge advertising and sponsorship deals. And that money attracts outstanding players but not necessarily the best in the world. Where did Messi, Mbappe, Ronaldo(at his best) et al play their football? And they needed great players around them to achieve what they did.

There’s the CL, but there’s also the Europa League & Europa Conference which allows us the opportunity to compare teams a lot further down their respective leagues. For me, in my humble opinion, those leagues show there’s virtually no difference between the various domestic leagues.
I don’t think I am conflating 2 different aspects, imo, it’s not just about the 3 greatest players and were they played, at that level they can go to anywhere in the world.

It’s the whole package, Sky are just one part of it, they have to behave the way they do because they are looking for a return on investment.

Look at the Stadiums, look at the tourist fans travelling from all over the world, Investors coming from all over.

The majority of the current worlds best are in the PL, as you put, 1 man doesn’t make a team.

I think you and others are looking at it from a European results pov rather than a World view, the PL is the most viewed, shown in more Countries world wide.

Yes Real Madrid are possibly the biggest Club in the World, but the la liga in every other stat is 2nd to the PL.

It may not last, but currently I firmly believe looking at the talent and the strength in depth the PL is the Worlds Best League.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm really struggling to understand where you are coming from now. You just seem to desperately trying top defend that football fans cannot be disappointed??? And if they are, they are idiots?

Were Liverpool fans disappointed with their performances last season. Where they disappointed about going out in the FA Cup to Man Utd or losing to Atalanta 3-0 at home? Where Spurs fans majorly disappointed not to win the Champions League when they got to the final? Where England fans disappointed when losing to Italy in the Euro final, or being eliminated in a tournament by Iceland?

Where City fans majorly disappointed about being eliminated last night. I bet many where, and many hoped to win the title again. Maybe there are some that are not disappointed, and are content by telling everyone else in the world that they are still better than anyone else. But, maybe they are actually the stupid ones?

I'm not using one result, clearly. It isn't like one PL side was in the Champions League, and they were unlucky to get eliminated. I'm using the results of FOUR sides in the Champions League, and where they ended up.
i remember a few years back when Madrid knocked us out of the Semis at the Etihad. City were dire. YAYA Toure, dear lord. I got more of a sweat on thinking I won’t get a pie at half time. The effort put in that night was abysmal. I was livid. Most fans were. Last night City gave it there all and it just didn’t happen. The fans that mostly would be upset are the younger ones.They are a bit more entitled than the older fans.
The two games last night were typical of some results in the Prem league. CIty and Arsenal were favourites to meet in the semi finals. It didn’t happen.