The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
Any other manager I've heard mentioned, I can see pitfalls. It isn't like a Pep or Klopp are options. And having good managers is often a waste if the club above them is a circus.

Hypothetically, if I was in a room with ETH, I wouldn't be singing his praises. I'd be asking what his thoughts are on why we are so open, why we concede many shots. See if he can give logical responses, rather than stock media responses where he had to be careful what he says. I'm sure this is what the owners will be doing.

I've no confidence many of the players are capable of following instruction and also play under physical pressure. A good few look light weight and timid. Perk up for a while if something goes their way, but lose all confidence as soon as something doesn't. I also wonder if some are now only giving about 60% effort, because they either know they will leave in summer, or don't want to get injured before Euro's (or a big money transfer)

That's true, there doesn't seem to be a stand out option who will be a cast iron success but there's a lot of very good managers who would do a better job if we're comparing what Man Utd have served up this season alone. You're often getting beaten by lesser teams and players because the set up is so bad IMO. The squad quality is easily higher than Spurs or Villa despite some glaring issues.

He's had three separate set ups; the first lasted only two games last season when you got well beaten by Brighton and Brentford I think it was. He tried to play the way he did at Ajax and got battered. He then to his credit realised the league was a different level and went back to the same way Ole used to set up, playing more defensive and relying on counter attacks. That worked due to Rashford having the season of his life and a lot of luck. The wheels fell off towards the end of the season when injuries and tiredness caught up, largely due to ETH refusing to use his squad wisely. He's then changed his style again this season to a totally gung-ho, high pressing game which doesn't really suit anyone. The defence have been exposed and the forwards aren't clinical enough. There's been no control in midfield and it makes for highly entertaining games but the stats put Man Utd in the bottom half for a lot of metrics. It's got to the point Chelsea could finish higher and they've been woeful.

The question is where does he go from here? Does he carry on with this system and add a few more players who would help it. That is highly risky as very few top sides play that way. Or does he switch back to his system that worked last season?

Not sure how many players aren't putting a shift in bar Rashford, they just seem exposed by the system. Even Mainoo has started to look dodgy in recent games.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Will it be another * title?
Probably, but today is the day that 115 charges, oil money etc etc goes up another level because of either.
1, Liverpool bottled it.
2, Arsenal bottled it.
What will be wrongly forgotten also today is that.
1, Palace played brilliantly.
2, Villa played brilliantly.
What will also be forgotten is that.
Arsenal have spent generations taunting Spurs as serial bottlers when they are not doing a bad job themselves again.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
To be honest these so called fans turn me off the game.If there that big a fan, jump in your car drive hundreds of miles and watch your team in the stadium. Not just this particular fan but all of them.
They’re absolute 🔔
Makes you wonder how they make money out of it,who actually watches them??

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a high press team you can’t have a player who won’t tackle anyone. Imo of course.!
He seems to have a free pass from Klopp not to put a tackle in.
He runs at people but won’t tackle.!

Klopp seems to leave him on even when he’s having a mare.

But his goal tally and assists are up there with anyone so it’s hard to criticise to much as people use his stats to argue.

He looks as if he’s already leaving imo .his last few games have been awful

4LEX

Visit site
Salah has definitely checked out from what I've seen of him this season. Plenty of goals and assists but his all round game has been way off previous levels.

The real issue is Nunez IMO. You can't win titles with a striker that bad at finishing. If you swap Haaland for Nunez I think Liverpool will the title this season by a decent margin.