The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't be the 26th march without the gentle reminder that Di canio scored that volley against Wimbledon on this day 24 years ago

What a hit 🎯

4LEX

Visit site
James looked the only one that was going to miss. There was a quick shot of him when it was 4-4 I think and he looked terrified. The second he stepped up it was game over.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any 3 of:

Henderson
Rice
Bellingham
Maddison
Ward-Prowse
Barkley
Gallagher
Palmer
Jones
Gibbs White
Elliot

Shall I continue or??

Every player named above has proved their place far more than Mainoo whos doing alright for a 6th place team.

Players he can start over:

Phillips

And I've not even named a Villa player just for fun, I'm not biased, I want the best options available and as of yet, he is not one.

Mainoo was man of the match tonight ................................... just saying. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
James looked the only one that was going to miss. There was a quick shot of him when it was 4-4 I think and he looked terrified. The second he stepped up it was game over.
Funnily enough I thought the same. Now, it could be that is just how his face looks but there wasn't much confidence when he stepped up. To be fair, he hit it well but it was at a lovely height for the keeper. One of those where if the keeper goes the right way then it's saved every time.

Interesting how many players went right down the middle. When will a keeper take that risk in a shoot out and stay still?

Ultimately, they went through a campaign and didn't qualify. 120 minutes at home, couldn't score. They had the chance, didn't take it 🤷‍♂️

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely the first penalty that Poland took was illegal. It looked like Lewandowski stopped his run up before he then started his hop scotch routine. Why don’t goalies just stare at the ball until it is kicked? I’m sure they would save more pens that way rather than just gambling on which way to dive.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
watched the 2nd half and ET, it was gripping viewing given what was at stake, and the atmosphere was great, but it was actually a pretty poor game of football. Neither keeper had very much to do. The Polish one had a decent save from a looping header, that was about it. Wales will be regretting not having much of a go.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
watched the 2nd half and ET, it was gripping viewing given what was at stake, and the atmosphere was great, but it was actually a pretty poor game of football. Neither keeper had very much to do. The Polish one had a decent save from a looping header, that was about it. Wales will be regretting not having much of a go.

Me and my lad watched the last fifteen minutes of normal time and then what followed. After five minutes of watching I asked if Wales were down to ten men - they showed little or no intent throughout the minutes I watched.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's crazy that Rice has 50 caps already. Doesn't seem like that long ago that we poached him back from Ireland and they were crying about it. If he retires at 35-ish he could have 150 by then!

Probably symptomatic of how there are far too many international matches nowadays.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding the defensive situation - my mate follows Roma so he watches Italian football, and he says Tomori is doing really well at Milan. What does he have to do to get a few caps? Not even in the squad this time, while 32-year-old Dunk is on the pitch looking like an absolute carthorse. Not sure the logic in giving Dunk a smattering of caps if we're supposed to be building for the future. That said, I guess Southgate doesn't have time to watch Serie A, it's hard enough fitting in his regular trips to Amsterdam to watch Henderson again.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's crazy that Rice has 50 caps already. Doesn't seem like that long ago that we poached him back from Ireland and they were crying about it. If he retires at 35-ish he could have 150 by then!

Probably symptomatic of how there are far too many international matches nowadays.
Has helped Ronaldo get to 206 caps and counting. Just had a quick look, and Ronaldo has played more international games than David Bentley played league games in his entire career.

Another good stat, Ronaldo has scored more goals since turning 30 (over 400) than the likes of Rooney, Drogba and Shevchenko scored in their entire careers.

Swango1980

Visit site
Regarding the defensive situation - my mate follows Roma so he watches Italian football, and he says Tomori is doing really well at Milan. What does he have to do to get a few caps? Not even in the squad this time, while 32-year-old Dunk is on the pitch looking like an absolute carthorse. Not sure the logic in giving Dunk a smattering of caps if we're supposed to be building for the future. That said, I guess Southgate doesn't have time to watch Serie A, it's hard enough fitting in his regular trips to Amsterdam to watch Henderson again.
I honestly thought Branthwaite would get some sort of run out in either game

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been out since xmas with a hamstring injury and only just returned, probably fitter than Chilwell looked still...... Well known how little Southgate rates Serie A too, advised Philips to go to West Ham rather than Juventus if he wanted to play in Euros. Loftus Cheek been tearing trees up for them too

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
GS won’t be there after the Euros.
He’s looking no further than that imo.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been out since xmas with a hamstring injury and only just returned, probably fitter than Chilwell looked still...... Well known how little Southgate rates Serie A too, advised Philips to go to West Ham rather than Juventus if he wanted to play in Euros. Loftus Cheek been tearing trees up for them too
Apparently he rates Eredivisie and the Saudi League higher...

A Serie A striker made his centre back look an absolute fool yesterday however.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
GS won’t be there after the Euros.
He’s looking no further than that imo.
I agree and hopefully not just wishful thinking.

Mourinho is available and been dropping hints about international management... I'd love to see it. I think he'd actually take to it quite well, he's a trophy-winner and well suited to knock-out football.

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree and hopefully not just wishful thinking.

Mourinho is available and been dropping hints about international management... I'd love to see it. I think he'd actually take to it quite well, he's a trophy-winner and well suited to knock-out football.
As I said before, Jurgen Klopp will be out of work. And, if he needs a rest from the day to day job of football management at club level, could he be tempted into international management?

I guess it is a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Would Mourinho play the style of football all England fans seem to be crying out for?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I said before, Jurgen Klopp will be out of work. And, if he needs a rest from the day to day job of football management at club level, could he be tempted into international management?

I guess it is a long shot, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

Would Mourinho play the style of football all England fans seem to be crying out for?
I see Klopp managing England as incredibly unlikely. But Mourinho, at this stage of his career, I think it's a genuine possibility.

No, he wouldn't necessarily play more attacking football than Southgate, but his use of substitutions and actually changing a game is chalk and cheese. If it's not working he's been known to change things in the opening half an hour, while Southgate waits until about 75 minutes usually.