The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Foden is just one example Tash, we all agree none, bar a fleeting glance, seem to be playing to what they are capable off.

It seems they are not given any freedom to express themselves and are sticking to Southgate’s tactics!!

Yes, his tactics have been relatively succesful, but miss the next step or plan B, so the question is, Why aren’t these World Class Players (of which Foden is one) seeing when the tactics are rubbish and changing it on the pitch.

Many of them seem to play without fear for their Clubs, but lacking confidence for England.
I don't agree with all this about Southgate doesn't get the best out of players.
What about Bellingham, great for his club and for England. Stones and Pickford also.
I've mentioned it before, the players need to up their game and take responsibility. They're professional footballers after all.
I've heard many times on here moaning about Man United players. Such as Fred, Mctominay, Anthony and most of all Rashford.
Whose fault is it, the manager or the players?
I suspect the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMdj

Visit site
I don't agree with all this about Southgate doesn't get the best out of players.
What about Bellingham, great for his club and for England. Stones and Pickford also.
I've mentioned it before, the players need to up their game and take responsibility. They're professional footballers after all.
I've heard many times on here moaning about Man United players. Such as Fred, Mctominay, Anthony and most of all Rashford.
I suspect the latter.
Pickford made a few mistakes for Everton a few years back, he has been voted Player of the Season by fans a few times in this period. I don’t think Southgate has done that much with him.

Stones was played as a central defender by Southgate, he is so much more for City, hopefully he’ll continue to impress for England.

Bellingham is possibly another level of player and yes been impressive everytime he plays.

My issue is with the players on the pitch, going back to the Euro Final, nobody seemed to show any initative and step up, Foden, Grealish, Saka and a few others we see change a game with on run or one pass, that seems to be missing!

You’re correct and I totally agree the players need to stand up, but I’m yet to see it from anyone during Southgate’s period in charge, why, what is it.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pickford made a few mistakes for Everton a few years back, he has been voted Player of the Season by fans a few times in this period. I don’t think Southgate has done that much with him.

Stones was played as a central defender by Southgate, he is so much more for City, hopefully he’ll continue to impress for England.

Bellingham is possibly another level of player and yes been impressive everytime he plays.

My issue is with the players on the pitch, going back to the Euro Final, nobody seemed to show any initative and step up, Foden, Grealish, Saka and a few others we see change a game with on run or one pass, that seems to be missing!

You’re correct and I totally agree the players need to stand up, but I’m yet to see it from anyone during Southgate’s period in charge, why, what is it.
If I knew the answer to that I'd be the next England manager. 🤣🤣

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I suspect the latter.
Can a Moderator please tell me what was edited in the above post?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If the players tried to change the managers tactics they would be out the squad.
That’s the only explanation I can think of.
They are conditioned to following orders.

Would Klopp or Pep accept the players changing things.

The buck stops with GS
Are the likes of Kane ,Stones and senior players having any input.?

samthom99

Visit site
Looking at the England squad, if i were Southgate i would copy Pep's tactics, go and attack and play the following

Pickford
Walker RCB
Stones CB
Gomez LCB
Rice CM
Trent Arnold CM
Grealish LM
Foden AM
Bellingham free role
Saka RM
kane CF

If we get knocked out so be it but at least go out all guns blazing.

PaulMdj

Visit site
If the players tried to change the managers tactics they would be out the squad.
That’s the only explanation I can think of.
They are conditioned to following orders.

Would Klopp or Pep accept the players changing things.

The buck stops with GS
Are the likes of Kane ,Stones and senior players having any input.?
True, but how many times have we heard of players flourishing under one manager and struggling under another?

Or a manager giving players the license to roam etc.

As others have said, we seem to have no plan B.

Swango1980

Visit site
Looking at the England squad, if i were Southgate i would copy Pep's tactics, go and attack and play the following

Pickford
Walker RCB
Stones CB
Gomez LCB
Rice CM
Trent Arnold CM
Grealish LM
Foden AM
Bellingham free role
Saka RM
kane CF

If we get knocked out so be it but at least go out all guns blazing.
If it was easy to just go out and copy Pep's tactics, then there would be no real need for Pep anymore. Just get a cheaper alternative and tell them to copy what Pep does.

Clearly, Southgate is not Pep. I'd imagine if he just tried to copy Pep, England could just crash out during the group stages as he would be completely lost.

samthom99

Visit site
If it was easy to just go out and copy Pep's tactics, then there would be no real need for Pep anymore. Just get a cheaper alternative and tell them to copy what Pep does.

Clearly, Southgate is not Pep. I'd imagine if he just tried to copy Pep, England could just crash out during the group stages as he would be completely lost.
It would be more fun to watch than watching his current tactics.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forest have appealed their points deduction. As 2 points were reduced for compliance, from 6 to 4, does this get added back on now they don't want to play nicely any more 😄
😂😂 my understanding (and hope 😅) is that is not the case as the PL haven’t appealed. It would be the most Forest thing for us to appeal, then get relegated by 2 points 🙃