The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
But that's the entire point. Recruitment has been better at city. Yes they have money but you have spent equally but very very poorly
Everyone agrees with that. But my argument wasn't that Utd had great recruitment. It was I don't blame ETH for trying to play good football with bad players.

If you, and others, don't think any of those players walk into any of the top teams, then it is a big ask to ask any manager to get them playing a style of football that is attractive, and gets them into top 4.

However, the signing under ETH have not exactly been a disaster. Everyone picks out Antony as if that tells the full story. But the price tag is on the board, not the manager. No one seems to remember Casemiro was one of the best players in the league last year, and the price tag was again on the board. Martinez is one of my favourite signings since Fergie left. Hojlund looks like he could be an excellent buy. Malacia was very solid, just sad to be injured all season. Mount was a very good player, and so not a bad signing. But injury had destroyed his chances to really get into the team. Onana was rubbish in Champions League, but now starts to look much more solid. And he was highly rated around Europe last year.

So, with a better system around ETH, with a board who can better pick out quality players throughout the world and negotiate better, one can always be hopeful things will improve.

If they sack him and hire Southgate, however, I will vomit

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We all knew how good Rice is. Really shining now for arsenal.

Adding goals and assists

Him and Bellingham for England will be outstanding.

In other news got me and the old man tickets for Thursdays Europa league game. Might be our last game in Europe for a while!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hard to know whos worse, Rob Jones reffing or Tierney in the VAR, utterly no control of the game and allowed a complete free for all from the Brentford defenders in their own box all game yet not prepared to punish blatant pulls and fouls or ref the game at all tbh

well for a day were back top of the league, great to see them guts out that sort of win :) massive game midweek now....... fair play to Brentford they made that super hard and had plenty of chances, but were allowed freedom to do as they pleased

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drama at both ends of the table . What a great turn around from that awful man united game. Which was more about Everton just trying to implode rather than good play from either team.

Luton for a vital last min point to slightly close the gap on Everton

Sheffield United threw away 2 points late on but then again with their points total that 1 point won is like throwing a deckchair off the Titanic. I can see Burnley turning up tomorrow for a bit of pride of attempting not to finish bottom of the league.

Havertz lucky to be on but solid winner, title race heating up nicely

All eyes on tomorrow. Come on citeh the country is behind you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is wrong with the TV camera in Arsenal game. Seems to keep going to weird angles, and zoomed quite far out most of the time.

Edit, just realised I was on Sky Channel 403, which shows it in a weird mode
I did that by mistake about a month ago. Very disorientating. I ended up messaging my son and he put my right 😄. Why would anyone want to watch a game like that?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
hard to know whos worse, Rob Jones reffing or Tierney in the VAR, utterly no control of the game and allowed a complete free for all from the Brentford defenders in their own box all game yet not prepared to punish blatant pulls and fouls or ref the game at all tbh

well for a day were back top of the league, great to see them guts out that sort of win :) massive game midweek now....... fair play to Brentford they made that super hard and had plenty of chances, but were allowed freedom to do as they pleased
At least two strong penalty calls waived….. very poor from VAR.

Swango1980

Visit site

Yeah. Havertz should have been given a second yellow for blatant dive. Ref was very lenient.

Glad Arsenal won though. Don't normally want that, but keeps title race interesting. And, however much I don't like Arsenal, City and Liverpool are much much worse.

Swango1980

Visit site
I did that by mistake about a month ago. Very disorientating. I ended up messaging my son and he put my right 😄. Why would anyone want to watch a game like that?
I did it a while back when they had children commentating. Watched nearly the entire 1st half, thought it was a disgrace and was it bring your kids to work day

Then discovered I wasn't watching it on the normal Sky channel.

Swango1980

Visit site

Interesting read. Strip back the constant hysteria surrounding ten Hag and his future, and this makes a whole lot of sense.
I agree.

Sack ETH now, who do they go for? A manager with a similar profile that ETH had when he came to Utd in 1st place? So, sack ETH for a young ETH like manager?

So, I agree they need to get the people higher up the chain sorted first. Get them in, allow them time and a little breathing space, and then make informed decisions down the line.

Swango1980

Visit site
Decided to not look for all the 3pm kick off scores yesterday, and watch MOTD without knowing what the scores were in those 3 games

Throw back to how I used to watch it as a kid, and was a much more enjoyable experience.

The difficulty is avoiding those scores while watching the 5.30pm game, and panicking every time the commentator decides to mention earlier results

PaulMdj

Visit site
Surprisingly looking forward to the Lpool v City match today, hoping it’s a cracker and not a damp squib.

Would love Arsenal to win the PL this season, but just got a sneaky suspicion Lpool will.🙁

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm still bemused at Ollie Watkins, clean through on goal, just the keeper to beat. He tries to pass to a teammate o_O. Pass was intercepted, offside flag went up, but even so.........what sort of striker does that?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finally zouma gets rested. Only 7 times have Dinos and aguard played together yet they have let in a total of 6 goals.

I really think they show the signs of our best defenders

Shame Emerson isn't available today

Big game for Phillips. I hope he pops up with the winner tbh . Do him the world of good