The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Reports on Sky say that Bayern Munich are considering Alonso, Zidane or OLE GUNNAR SOLSKJAER as replacement for Tuchel.

Not sure who was 4th on the list. Steve Bruce. Roy Hodgson is available, so there are some options there. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think Palace has a very good manager coming in. Frankfurt is my favourite German side having gone there as a schoolkid on an exchange trip and being taken to the old stadium in the middle of a forest to watch a match vs 1860 Munchen. He has done an excellent job there despite them losing a few good players in the last couple of seasons

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If anyone is still wondering why my patience with a certain Marcus Rashford was exhausted some time ago, watch this.

I remember a few years back rashford and sterling both looked outstanding, both were competing for the same place in the England team

Both playing for teams that competed in trophies

What on earth has happened to them? Sterling I thought would be brilliant for Chelsea. He's been anything but

Swango1980

Visit site
If anyone is still wondering why my patience with a certain Marcus Rashford was exhausted some time ago, watch this.

Yeah, I saw that live and remember thinking "what on earth is Rashford doing there". I know Barkley is a good player, and has the ability to get past just about any player when he pulls a dribble off. But he literally did nothing special to get round Rashford there.

In all honesty, Barkley would have a tougher challenge dribbling past a single cone in training that getting past Rashford in that instance. That clip is a perfect demonstration of Rashford's mentality, because I think virtually every other person in this forum would at least put a bit of effort into making the tackle, even if they are likely to fail against a good PL footballer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
Imo that’s partly ETH fault.
If he does this regularly he should not be playing.
The captain should be having a word as well.
Blame everyone else but the guy himself?

ETH effectively gets Sancho out of the club and people start saying ETH was wrong and he should have got Sancho back in the team and playing, given the form of other players.

ETH keeps giving Rashford opportunities, and when he has incredibly frustrating moments in the game it is ETH's fault for picking him.

Rashford needs to take responsibility. I doubt ETH is asking him to give up pressing players after all. But clearly ETH is picking him because, despite his flaws, he offers more than other players in the squad at the time. There probably are not other players that can powerfully break through the middle of the pitch to give themselves a great chance on the edge of the box. There are probably no other players who can do the same in second half and force a good save, or play a great through ball to Garnacho. Rashford is not playing great, but when he is available for a pass when running down the left, he stretched the opposition and causes them a headache.

But, if it is ETH's fault, perhaps he should pick Antony on the left? Of course, if he did and Antony perform the way most expect him to, ETH would be to blame for picking him ahead of Rashford. Just like many blamed ETH for dropping Rashford after his night out in Belfast.

In the long run, however, ETH will act one way or another. If Rashford frustrates too much, then ETH is more likely going to agree to cashing in on him, and looking for someone better. If ETH was to simply drop everyone that frustrated, then I think the only players he'd have to choose from would be Martinez, Mainoo and Hojlund. He has no choice to pick another 7 players just to field a side (8 actually, as Martinez is injured).

As for Bruno, there are many flaws in his captaincy, Rashford is the least of his problems. When Garnacho failed to score when clean through, and then finally played a cross that went to no one, Bruno waved his hands in the air in frustration. I'd have thought a good captain applauds Garnacho for the good part of his run, and give him a bit of a boost. And, given Bruno missed a similar chance, he can't really have a go.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Blame everyone else but the guy himself?

ETH effectively gets Sancho out of the club and people start saying ETH was wrong and he should have got Sancho back in the team and playing, given the form of other players.

ETH keeps giving Rashford opportunities, and when he has incredibly frustrating moments in the game it is ETH's fault for picking him.

Rashford needs to take responsibility. I doubt ETH is asking him to give up pressing players after all. But clearly ETH is picking him because, despite his flaws, he offers more than other players in the squad at the time. There probably are not other players that can powerfully break through the middle of the pitch to give themselves a great chance on the edge of the box. There are probably no other players who can do the same in second half and force a good save, or play a great through ball to Garnacho. Rashford is not playing great, but when he is available for a pass when running down the left, he stretched the opposition and causes them a headache.

But, if it is ETH's fault, perhaps he should pick Antony on the left? Of course, if he did and Antony perform the way most expect him to, ETH would be to blame for picking him ahead of Rashford. Just like many blamed ETH for dropping Rashford after his night out in Belfast.

In the long run, however, ETH will act one way or another. If Rashford frustrates too much, then ETH is more likely going to agree to cashing in on him, and looking for someone better. If ETH was to simply drop everyone that frustrated, then I think the only players he'd have to choose from would be Martinez, Mainoo and Hojlund. He has no choice to pick another 7 players just to field a side (8 actually, as Martinez is injured).

As for Bruno, there are many flaws in his captaincy, Rashford is the least of his problems. When Garnacho failed to score when clean through, and then finally played a cross that went to no one, Bruno waved his hands in the air in frustration. I'd have thought a good captain applauds Garnacho for the good part of his run, and give him a bit of a boost. And, given Bruno missed a similar chance, he can't really have a go.

The sad thing for me is that, in Hojlund, United have a player who is leading by example and showing vastly more experienced teammates how it is done. And he is doing so when it should be others showing him.

I know I have said it times, but Hojlund has impressed me from day one. His attitude, work ethic, tireless effort and professionalism have been outstanding since he arrived. Rashford should be looking at him and feeling utterly embarrassed at what he does in comparison. Now that Hojlund has started to find the net I think his potential to be a star is there for all to see.

The suggestion that PSG are eyeing up Rashford to replace Mbape is, I suspect, pie in the sky. Because I will say it again, Rashford is bang average. If anyone is stupid enough to make a half decent offer United should bite their hand off. He is not the future of Man United. He’s very lucky to even be part of their present.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The sad thing for me is that, in Hojlund, United have a player who is leading by example and showing vastly more experienced teammates how it is done. And he is doing so when it should be others showing him.

I know I have said it times, but Hojlund has impressed me from day one. His attitude, work ethic, tireless effort and professionalism have been outstanding since he arrived. Rashford should be looking at him and feeling utterly embarrassed at what he does in comparison. Now that Hojlund has started to find the net I think his potential to be a star is there for all to see.

The suggestion that PSG are eyeing up Rashford to replace Mbape is, I suspect, pie in the sky. Because I will say it again, Rashford is bang average. If anyone is stupid enough to make a half decent offer United should bite their hand off. He is not the future of Man United. He’s very lucky to even be part of their present.
Do you think its just a lack of ability, lack of interest with EtH or did he have his head turned with his other stuff outside football and he's now simply thinking he's bigger than he is and that he can do it as and when. Can't be doing his England future much good

Swango1980

Visit site

I agree on Hojlund. He looks like a great all round Number 9, and has a great work ethic. I'm hoping his enthusiasm as a team player will rub off on the likes of Garnacho, who will look to become more and more of a team player himself, rather than being on the selfish side. But, I just don't get Rashford. He certainly looks really happy to be part of the team when they are scoring and doing well. All smiles in the celebration, happy for others getting their goal. But his body language instantly changes once things get a bit tough.

I wouldn't be surprised if PSG put in a bid for Rashford. They may focus more on the positives than negatives, and feel like he could do with a new challenge in his life. Besides, it is the French league, so if they can see Rashford is capable of scoring a load of PL goals last season, then they may believe he can tear it up in France.

Billysboots

Visit site
Do you think its just a lack of ability, lack of interest with EtH or did he have his head turned with his other stuff outside football and he's now simply thinking he's bigger than he is and that he can do it as and when. Can't be doing his England future much good

I don’t think it’s a lack of ability.

I’ve been slated here for saying this previously, but it’s his attitude and application. They’re appalling, and I’m not sure how you change that as they’re character traits. Put simply, Rashford has the look of a man who believes United are lucky to have him when it’s patently clear it’s actually the other way round.

The clip I posted is not a one off. That is how Rashford meanders round the pitch when out of possession almost every game. It’s nowhere near good enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree on Hojlund. He looks like a great all round Number 9, and has a great work ethic. I'm hoping his enthusiasm as a team player will rub off on the likes of Garnacho, who will look to become more and more of a team player himself, rather than being on the selfish side. But, I just don't get Rashford. He certainly looks really happy to be part of the team when they are scoring and doing well. All smiles in the celebration, happy for others getting their goal. But his body language instantly changes once things get a bit tough.

I wouldn't be surprised if PSG put in a bid for Rashford. They may focus more on the positives than negatives, and feel like he could do with a new challenge in his life. Besides, it is the French league, so if they can see Rashford is capable of scoring a load of PL goals last season, then they may believe he can tear it up in France.
I wonder if a fresh start is just what he needs be that at PSG or another club. I think he looks stale and disinterested and his attitude if he isn't getting service or things aren't happening for him is appalling. It can't be doing the other players on the field any favours especially the youngsters like Mainoo and Hojlund

Billysboots

Visit site
See your debating skills are coming along. Still more work to be done however👍.

Interesting first post.

Can I urge you to take a look at the forum guidelines? They will point you in the right direction.