The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We all have our ideas some mad some not so.

But think we all agree something needs to change!

Just heard Klopp on radio city About the blue cards.

” Think this is a silly idea but have the guys who think of these things ever had a good idea”

Or words to that effect , I was driving.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess what I mean is that the anger and frustration etc that seems to be the default media setting after a match should be aimed at the teams not the ref. Imagine how things would look different if a player is sent off for persistent dissent. Now after the match, there is no focus on the ref for that, the media questions are about the club not instilling on pitch discipline in their players, on the player for their actions and on the captain for not calming down this team and on the manager for leaving a player on who was losing their head. Then we have a whole different dialogue and way of looking at things. The ref is low hanging fruit and too many people are grabbing for it.
That happened this year I think it was a Brighton player ( might be wrong).
He was booked and said something else to the ref and was sent off.

I do remember most people said the “ref was correct” and the player was stupid.

Any one remember who it was?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I do remember seeing the match, and the sending off, but can’t remember the guy’s name. @Norrin Radd will know

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We all have our ideas some mad some not so.

But think we all agree something needs to change!

Just heard Klopp on radio city About the blue cards.

” Think this is a silly idea but have the guys who think of these things ever had a good idea”

Or words to that effect , I was driving.

If he’s saying it’s a silly idea I’ll vote for it. He must be worried about losing players to the sin bin if he’s dissing it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he’s saying it’s a silly idea I’ll vote for it. He must be worried about losing players to the sin bin if he’s dissing it.
Well he’s leaving at the end of the season!

If it happens it will be next season , so he can say what he likes.😂😂

But I think Liverpools discipline record is quite good.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Lewis Dunk I think. And yes, I'm in the camp that said the ref was right and the player was stupid 😄

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I remember the days before Red & Yellow cards were the ref just wrote down his bookings in a book (hence the name). If I remember correctly they introduced cards in the 1970 World Cup because of the confusion in International games when players didn't know if they were booked, sent off, or whatever. The flashing of a card made it clear.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think VAR has actually made it worse for refs.
It has shown that they just back each other up even when they know they are wrong!

Then just apologise to clubs.

In the past they made mistakes but it was forgotten about in a few days.
Now VAR has highlighted just how poor some of them are.
It also shows them in a good light but they are rare.

Players attitudes come from being lauded from very early ages and nobody says “no” to them anymore.

Refs have caused a lot of their own problems imo., what other job would let people abuse you to your face ,even when on TV , they have the rules / powers to deal with this but choose not to most of the time.
This this and a lot more of this. Refs made mistakes and yes some of it was down to players play acting and getting into refs faces. But the people that were making mistakes run VAR and are making mistakes. What a surprise. Not. Not only that they are then constrained by the very rules they have instigated. Thats not opinion. Remember when a goal was disallowed because the VAR guy was looking at the wrong thing and then said “ oh am outta time”.
If someone has a day spare count how many posts on a “ Footie Thread” have been about referees.
Ave said it for an age, The tail ( referees and VAR) is wagging the Dog ( football).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember the days before Red & Yellow cards were the ref just wrote down his bookings in a book (hence the name). If I remember correctly they introduced cards in the 1970 World Cup because of the confusion in International games when players didn't know if they were booked, sent off, or whatever. The flashing of a card made it clear.
And refs have still sent the wrong players off so not foolproof.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was just reading an article on it and saw this:
"The new issue on everyone's lips in football is the International Football Association Board's proposals to introduce a blue card. Football has been limited to yellow and red cards since they were first introduced in 1970"

I've never heard that before? I just thought we'd always had cards. What were they doing before 1970 then?? Would you still get a 'warning' from the ref just without the visual indicator?

Red and yellow cards were used in the 1970 World Cup, but not introduced in English football until 1976.

Swango1980

Visit site
Lewis Dunk I think. And yes, I'm in the camp that said the ref was right and the player was stupid 😄
Of course, there was the incident where Dalot was sent off with 2 quick yellow cards.

Personally, I'd have accepted a yellow. But 2 yellows, as far as I'm concerned, was pathetic and a real sign of a referee out of control, and unable to communicate with players. Especially ridiculous as I've seen dozens of players do the same thing, and get no yellow let alone 2. And most of time I'm not bothered no yellows are given, if the player is just venting a moments frustration. Dalot's frustration was understandable, as it turns out the officials made the wrong call.

With the Dunk incident, it was a bit different. He had been talking to referee after 1st yellow. Instead of calming down, he appeared to say something (lip readers suggested he called him a cheat). So the 2nd yellow would be understandable

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago there were proper punch ups in games.
now you can’t have one because after the first feather is thrown the op is on the floor rolling around but looking through his fingers at what the refs doing..

While Tommy Smith and Billy Bremner/ Hunter might not be fast enough today.
Modern players could not last five minutes with the above Tackling them.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Years ago there were proper punch ups in games.
now you can’t have one because after the first feather is thrown the op is on the floor rolling around but looking through his fingers at what the refs doing..

While Tommy Smith and Billy Bremner/ Hunter might not be fast enough today.
Modern players could not last five minutes with the above Tackling them.
Billy whitehurst is apparently the hardest man to play the English game.
Dont know if you listen to the “Under the cosh” podcast but some beauty story’s about him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Billy whitehurst is apparently the hardest man to play the English game.
Dont know if you listen to the “Under the cosh” podcast but some beauty story’s about him.
I can just about work this iPad.
podcasts are science fiction to me.
But might investigate or get my daughter to show me how.👍👍