The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Didn't actually watch it so wouldn't want to comment knowing how many Liverpool fans are on here! :ROFLMAO:
True, they never walk alone, unless they lose. Then the fans go missing (unless Utd lose)

Teasing, just before anyone wants to get offended :) . Brighton seem to be playing really well, are there performances still as good and consistent compared to Potter's reign? I know they possibly didn't get the results they wanted when the manager first took charge, but I seem to remember them still playing at a good level and being more unlucky than poor.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
True, they never walk alone, unless they lose. Then the fans go missing (unless Utd lose)

Teasing, just before anyone wants to get offended :) . Brighton seem to be playing really well, are there performances still as good and consistent compared to Potter's reign? I know they possibly didn't get the results they wanted when the manager first took charge, but I seem to remember them still playing at a good level and being more unlucky than poor.

League table doesn't lie, they're doing a great job! Takes a great manager to come in and continue the momentum they already had. Fantastic recruitment from the Brighton hierarchy

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
League table doesn't lie, they're doing a great job! Takes a great manager to come in and continue the momentum they already had. Fantastic recruitment from the Brighton hierarchy
I think Brighton have always played great football.
but we’re held back by poor finishing.
like most teams if you miss your chances your in trouble.
but they are good to watch imo.
except last weekend.:(

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes their performances are as good if not better than Potter's time.
The difference is that Brighton are more attacking now whereas Potter was more defensive.
It's one of the reasons that Solly March is scoring with confidence now - before he had more of a defensive role.
Long may it continue!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
2015/16 season?

I have gone on record and said that was one of my favourite title wins for a club. Leicester were just fantastic. They lost 3 games all season. I saw them at Citys ground and they battered City. It does my head in when I hear fans of other teams say it was a weak league that year.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have gone on record and said that was one of my favourite title wins for a club. Leicester were just fantastic. They lost 3 games all season. I saw them at Citys ground and they battered City. It does my head in when I hear fans of other teams say it was a weak league that year.

I don’t think you can dispute that the “big teams” wholeheartedly underachieved that season though? That was the question, no? It wasn’t “was the league weak” it was had there been another instance of under and overachievement.

If you don’t think City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and, possibly, Liverpool underachieved then god only knows what you expected of them.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I don’t think you can dispute that the “big teams” wholeheartedly underachieved that season though? That was the question, no? It wasn’t “was the league weak” it was had there been another instance of under and overachievement.

If you don’t think City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and, possibly, Liverpool underachieved then god only knows what you expected of them.
But that’s just it, Arsenal and Spurs are big clubs but big teams ? When was last time they won the league or came close. Liverpool again have won the Prem once and finished 8th. Does that mean they underachieved, Man City certainly did. A team that over achieved was Southampton finishing 6th. I still don’t think at times Leicester got the credit they deserve.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
But that’s just it, Arsenal and Spurs are big clubs but big teams ? When was last time they won the league or came close. Liverpool again have won the Prem once and finished 8th. Does that mean they underachieved, Man City certainly did. A team that over achieved was Southampton finishing 6th. I still don’t think at times Leicester got the credit they deserve.

Again, I think you miss the point. Leicester get credit for winning the league given the strength of the EPL. BUT, the question was about achievements (under/over) and regardless of whether Arsenal, Spurs or even Liverpool are, or are not, big teams (which I would dispute and say that they are) they would normally be challenging for the places 3/4 to 7/8 which, traditionally, blocks out teams like Leicester from even competing for those spots. That season, pretty much all of the teams that normally would push the "smaller" teams out of the top places had absolute stinkers.

The question wasn't "did Leicester (or insert AN other team here) deserve to win the league or get the credit they deserve?" it was about under and overachievement.

If this was not anomalous, then you'd see the "smaller" teams frequently penetrating those top 3/4 to 7/8 places. Instead, you can pretty much name the top 6 at least (if not the order, the teams involved) pretty much every season.

We won't agree on this point it seems, so will just need to agree to disagree and move on.

Swango1980

Visit site
I wonder, how much credit would have been enough?

From a non-Leicester fan, all the talk was about Leicester as they got closer and closer to winning. How well they were playing, and could they keep doing it. And they did. Nearly their entire team, every player, became well recognised among all football fans. In particular, the likes of Vardy, Kante, Mahrez. Maybe even Drinkwater (remember him?). They won the title, and most call it the greatest title win of all time. How such an unexpected side could play to such a high standard.

If City, Liverpool or United win (when they are one of the top sides), they get praise, sure. But, more a pat on the back and a "great team, no suprise". You probably hear a lot more from their own fans, but to be fair, those teams have many fans so bound to be heard.

Leicester City winning league was probably one of the most popular wins of all time for every football fan, except those who support Spurs.