The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Joking aside, I think Sterling is excellent. He's scored over 20 goals in all comps three times (one of them was over 30). He makes intelligent runs into the box hence scoring those numbers without being a particularly great finisher. He's definitely better than any of Chelsea's current wingers. Not as good as Hazard was obviously, but Sterling will be as close as they've come to replacing him.

Are you really going to let B.Silva go to Barca?? He was exceptional last season. Did he ask to leave??
I say it very much tongue in cheek re Sterling. If he wants to go, good luck to the lad. Rw Bernardo. The noises are he has asked to leave. Be gutted if he goes as it starts leaving the squad thinner in that area. The old saying is In Pep we trust.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
[QUOTE="Tashyboy, post: 2520109, member: 18842"... The old saying is In Pep we trust.[/QUOTE]

This for me is the main point. I've said exactly the same about Klopp.

I'll be amazed if City lose Sterling, Silva and Jesus this summer. Jesus isn't a world beater by any means but there are probably 18 other teams in the league who would be over the moon with that front 3! That said, Sterling to Chelsea seems all but a done deal, and a brilliant one at that, for Chelsea, in my view. I'm really looking forward to this season, with big changes to the Liverpool front 3, City looking refresh and Chelsea starting again too.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
[QUOTE="Tashyboy, post: 2520109, member: 18842"... The old saying is In Pep we trust.

This for me is the main point. I've said exactly the same about Klopp.

I'll be amazed if City lose Sterling, Silva and Jesus this summer. Jesus isn't a world beater by any means but there are probably 18 other teams in the league who would be over the moon with that front 3! That said, Sterling to Chelsea seems all but a done deal, and a brilliant one at that, for Chelsea, in my view. I'm really looking forward to this season, with big changes to the Liverpool front 3, City looking refresh and Chelsea starting again too.[/QUOTE]

I said this a month or so ago. A lot of clubs seem to be having good transfer windows. That said, which club is having a poor window ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Just seen on BBC that Eriksen has agreed in princple to sign for Man Utd, subject to agreeing personal terms. It would be a signing I'd like to see. Quality and composed player in the middle of the park, who can hopefully work well with Bruno, and/or keep Bruno on his toes in keeping a starting position.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just seen on BBC that Eriksen has agreed in princple to sign for Man Utd, subject to agreeing personal terms. It would be a signing I'd like to see. Quality and composed player in the middle of the park, who can hopefully work well with Bruno, and/or keep Bruno on his toes in keeping a starting position.

Strange signing and potentially is it because it’s a freebie ?

Of all the areas in the team that need improving or signings I’m not sure that an attacking mid is high up that list

Defensive Mid , Centre back , Striker, Right back all look to be a higher priority that the left back they have bought and now Eriksen

Very strange - has Woodward definitely left ?‍♂️ Or maybe they are struggling to get quality to join them

Swango1980

Visit site

Of all the areas in the team that need improving or signings I’m not sure that an attacking mid is high up that list

Defensive Mid , Centre back , Striker, Right back all look to be a higher priority that the left back they have bought and now Eriksen

Very strange - has Woodward definitely left ?‍♂️ Or maybe they are struggling to get quality to join them
Utd have one attacking centre midfielder. Bruno. Potentially DeBeek, but he has not proved himself in PL yet. Bruno was awful last season. So, he needs both support and competition in that area.

I am positive it was not Eriksen OR a defensive midfielder. We need to bring in a lot more quality into that midfield area generally. I'm sure they are looking into other positions as well.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Or maybe he was exactly the sort of player Ten Hag is looking for, to fit into his plan for the rebuild in a style that he wants!

Swango1980

Visit site
Or maybe he was exactly the sort of player Ten Hag is looking for, to fit into his plan for the rebuild in a style that he wants!
Just saw a clip from Talksport, where Danny Murphy and Simon Jordan said Eriksen would be a squad player at best for United, and would effectively not improve them because he would simply be a bench player, with Bruno ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was pretty gobsmacked, almost thinking they were both incredibly narrow minded. I admit to not being an expert on the ability of Eriksen, but have always seen he has been well regarded and played well when I have watched him. I'm sure Spurs and Brentford fans would be able to discuss his abilities better. Man City have DeBruyne, but I never hear pundits saying that Gundogan and B. Silva do not make City a better team (even if they don't play every week). City also have the likes of Mahrez and Grealish, who although play wide, would be more creative midfielders than pacey wingers.

Utd have lost the likes of Pogba, Lingard and Mata (thankfully). Yet, Murphy and Jordan feel that Utd only need one creative midfielder in their entire squad, despite Bruno's poor form last season. Unless they feel, with their great managerial brains, than De Hag should simply resort to playing ultra defensive football until Man Utd buy themselves out of trouble and buy star players in all positions. That tends to work well...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just saw a clip from Talksport, where Danny Murphy and Simon Jordan said Eriksen would be a squad player at best for United, and would effectively not improve them because he would simply be a bench player, with Bruno ahead of him in the pecking order.

I was pretty gobsmacked, almost thinking they were both incredibly narrow minded. I admit to not being an expert on the ability of Eriksen, but have always seen he has been well regarded and played well when I have watched him. I'm sure Spurs and Brentford fans would be able to discuss his abilities better. Man City have DeBruyne, but I never hear pundits saying that Gundogan and B. Silva do not make City a better team (even if they don't play every week). City also have the likes of Mahrez and Grealish, who although play wide, would be more creative midfielders than pacey wingers.

Utd have lost the likes of Pogba, Lingard and Mata (thankfully). Yet, Murphy and Jordan feel that Utd only need one creative midfielder in their entire squad, despite Bruno's poor form last season. Unless they feel, with their great managerial brains, than De Hag should simply resort to playing ultra defensive football until Man Utd buy themselves out of trouble and buy star players in all positions. That tends to work well...
Eriksen was superb for us for years of course. But I've not seen enough of him lately to know if he's still able to achieve the same levels as before his heart problem? I don't know if his general fitness is what it was. I think I heard that he's not even allowed to play in Italy because they have rules against people with heart issues playing on health & safety grounds or something. At Brentford he played deeper than he used to, more of a sitting midfielder - maybe even a Pirlo or a Scholes type of player? Perhaps long term that will be where he sits, in which case, there is room for both him and Bruno. However you obviously still need that holding midfielder. Eriksen next to a Fred or a McTominay isn't going to work at all.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

I’d have Lingard in there above all of them.
I’m worried for Utd this year
Imo we should have gone big and got Poch
I’m very worried that this manager is not the answer the same feelings I had for RR after 2 games.
We need a massive world class manager who attracts big names.
Whilst Erickson is a good player he’s no longer world class,in fact many of our players are not,that is different to Liverpool,City and Chelsea
Imo we are falling even further behind.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rushed? I'll assume the emoji indicates the seriousness of your comment. It took them 5 months to appoint ten Hag, after sacking their previous full time manager.

Yea, but they could have just had Ralf Ragnarok manage until the end of the season then look to appoint in the off season (though I get why they did what they did).

I've just watched Brice Samba's farewell video and cried twice.

4LEX

Visit site
Probably because Man Utd's entire transfer strategy involves signing players who once played under Ten Hag or in the Dutch League. Seems a one sighted and bizarre approach.

Eriksen is still a top player though and easily in the top 5 genuine ball playing midfielders in the league. A midfield with De Jong, Eriksen and Bruno will be great fun to watch. I bet Harry Maguire can't wait to hold the defence together with that infront of him :whistle:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably because Man Utd's entire transfer strategy involves signing players who once played under Ten Hag or in the Dutch League. Seems a one sighted and bizarre approach.

Eriksen is still a top player though and easily in the top 5 genuine ball playing midfielders in the league. A midfield with De Jong, Eriksen and Bruno will be great fun to watch. I bet Harry Maguire can't wait to hold the defence together with that infront of him :whistle:
Most managers return to previous clubs/leagues for players at their new team.

4LEX

Visit site
Most managers return to previous clubs/leagues for players at their new team.

Some do, some don't. The thing is Man Utd have come out and banged on about a restructure and how they're going to sign players that fit the clubs ethos. That was designed to take the transfer power and pressure off the manager/coach. Yet only a few months later it's clear they've got no idea about transfers and have handed 100% control to Ten Hag.

It's not the actions of a well run club who have learnt their lessons from wasting over a billion and a decade of failure. It looks like more of the same buy and hope policy.