The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's it like to be a fan of a club where things go well?

Asking for a friend.?

They are going well at the moment, but things can swiftly change, plus like any football fan its about expectations, as well.

I remember in the late 80's me and a mate saying wouldn't it be mad if we had to go down just for a season (say a financial reason or something), as like me he was a regular away match goer at the time and we fancied some new grounds, and also we had become a bit "inured" to success, as it was the team of Barnes, Beardsley etc who nearly did 3 doubles.

I realise that 95% of football fans will think "how can you feel like that", but I honestly think a lot of Man u fans in the past and possibly city fans in the future may feel the same. When you're so used to winning the league you love it and you feel it's yours, but you can become more "hate to lose it rather than love to win it" as I seen Tuchel mention the other day. Sustained success feels like that. If City win another 3-4 leagues on the bounce, it will feel very samey.

Luckily in our fallow years, we still won European, Uefa and domestic cups, but that 30 years in between was a hard time, obviously due to our past.

Sunderland have won 6 league championships, but as the last was pre-WWII, I dont think many Sunderland fans have an expectation anywhere approaching winning this now. Newcastle fans would be the same up to 6 months ago, but are now dreaming of CL wins in the next decade, I'm sure, due to what we historically know of what unfettered spending can get you (Chelsea, City).

Colchester United even getting to the premier league for one season would be an amazing feeling, Newcastle its first trophy in 50-odd years, Boreham wood in league 1, Everton breaking their duck again (a club that is one of England's most successful), and ask man u fans from the 80's what it was like to go 17 years with only one major trophy.

Basically, it's all relative. :)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just read (on Twitter and haven't confirmed it yet) that if Man City/Jack Grealish win the title Aston Villa are due a £15 million bonus as part of the transfer deal. With Southampton not able to catch them and Villa safe in 14th place that's a pretty big incentive not to put too much effort in at the weekend. An extra £15 million in the transfer kitty this summer could be a good reason to field a weakened team.

That shouldn't be allowed between domestic clubs IMO, say it was a 40 million bonus?

Ok in international transfers, but not domestic.