The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was bored and going through my emails

Since I gave up my season ticket (second time round, had it from 2002-2006) in 2013 when we had returned to the premier League .. so 3 of my 5 seasons were in the championship (real good time ticket hunter)

Most of the games I've been to are fa cup, League cup and Europa qualifiers . (First few rounds)

Few away games thrown in for good measure (arsenal, Ipswich, west brom, Burnley and Peterborough)

Remarkable all those big games

Now this year I have turned down a lot of offer of tickets for 2 simple reasons .. covid and my kids .. is it far on the wife to bugger off to west ham and leave the kids with her? Where as the biggest game in our history she told me I should go when will it happen again.. . I turned down Burnley at home today .. simply because it Easter, and My twins have covid.

But I'm an awful fan ?

Infact the week before covid my cousin reminded me (she is arsenal) that we borrowed a season ticket off my mum's cousin and went to arsenal west ham .. 7th march 2020.. just before the world changed forever ..

But then some people don't seem to remember this covid thing

I know what you mean. Fulham fan and got told I'm a glory hunter on the back of a 13 year stretch in the PL and a Europa League final. No-one mentions losing away to Mansfield and standing on an open terrace in a snow storm. People remember going to OT or Anfield. Now I live an hour (on a good day) away a season ticket isn't feasible but I'll still go to a few games a year. These tend to be FA cup or against smaller sides where it is easier to get a ticket

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know what you mean. Fulham fan and got told I'm a glory hunter on the back of a 13 year stretch in the PL and a Europa League final. No-one mentions losing away to Mansfield and standing on an open terrace in a snow storm. People remember going to OT or Anfield. Now I live an hour (on a good day) away a season ticket isn't feasible but I'll still go to a few games a year. These tend to be FA cup or against smaller sides where it is easier to get a ticket

I could get a season ticket but I work 2 out of 7 weekends so weekends I am free are normally spent with the family. (Give it whilst we so short staffed ATM Im working most weekends but only 1 day a weekend so still get a day with family but no time for going the game)

When I am able to get more weekends I'm more likely to up my membership of the golf course to 7 days than I am to get a season ticket again

Been there done that , enjoyed it but out grown it personally

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could get a season ticket but I work 2 out of 7 weekends so weekends I am free are normally spent with the family. (Give it whilst we so short staffed ATM Im working most weekends but only 1 day a weekend so still get a day with family but no time for going the game)

When I am able to get more weekends I'm more likely to up my membership of the golf course to 7 days than I am to get a season ticket again

Been there done that , enjoyed it but out grown it personally

Balanciing act isn't it. We're short staffed so I have the potential to be called in at short notice and while I am lucky to have a fantastic wife who is more than happy for me to play as and when and no kids to worry about I wouldn't want to push it by playing on a Saturday and then go straight up to Craven Cottage and not get home until mid-evening, I would rather golf and have a few beers with my pals at the club and then go home and spend time with HID. I do miss the footie and my best friend still goes every week home and away (he's had a season ticket for 42 years) and I miss seeing him (we only meet a few times a year for a game of golf or if I get to go to the odd game)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Balanciing act isn't it. We're short staffed so I have the potential to be called in at short notice and while I am lucky to have a fantastic wife who is more than happy for me to play as and when and no kids to worry about I wouldn't want to push it by playing on a Saturday and then go straight up to Craven Cottage and not get home until mid-evening, I would rather golf and have a few beers with my pals at the club and then go home and spend time with HID. I do miss the footie and my best friend still goes every week home and away (he's had a season ticket for 42 years) and I miss seeing him (we only meet a few times a year for a game of golf or if I get to go to the odd game)

To be fair I'd love to work even more, play even more golf and attend more games

Apparently that wouldnt go down well with the wife lol.. maybe if I was single ..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair I'd love to work even more, play even more golf and attend more games

Apparently that wouldnt go down well with the wife lol.. maybe if I was single ..

And living at home with the parents. That was the best of all worlds. Cheap rent, decent grub and the washing and ironing done and I was a free agent to do as I please. You could add in going to gigs as well as the footie, gold and everything else

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And living at home with the parents. That was the best of all worlds. Cheap rent, decent grub and the washing and ironing done and I was a free agent to do as I please. You could add in going to gigs as well as the footie, gold and everything else

The wife and I spoke about what the hell we did with our time before the kids. I told her that the other week when they all went away when I was on nights was a taste of the single life.

Batch cooked a load of food and painted 4 rooms .. (had planned to go the Lyon game but last min change of plan, sold the ticket and worked extra night shift)

Tbh it was pretty boring ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Wonder if any of those City fans struggled with paying for an away trip to Madrid & an FA Cup semi final in the same week?

I missed this last night, you do have a valid point there.

It's extremely expensive to follow a team home, away and across europe too.

City rarely sell out their home games most weeks so it's not a surprise they struggled with a semi final on a bank holiday weekend with travel restrictions.

With that in mind what i find amussing is with such a small worldwide fan base, how can Man City be ranked 1st in the world money league.

D

Deleted member 1740

????Who called you that?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't seen the incident but isn't it a fact that VAR are less willing to overrule the ref's decision so if you manage to fool the ref and get the decision in your favour then it's less likely to be overturned?
This was in the penalty area so if the ref had bought it then it would have been a penalty. Any replay would have shown it as a clear and obvious error and there is no way it could not have been overturned. Outside of the area it probably would stand but I can't believe they could have allowed it inside.

Honestly you'd have to see a replay. The gap between Havertz and the defender was really very clear. Again, well done to the ref for spotting it in the heat of the moment.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Goo

Yes but you fail to realise that people are avoiding going places because of covid still

My last game (league aswell) 7th march 2020 just before covid

I haven't been to a game since. Part due to family part due to not comfortable with going often to crowds of that size

Surely you can understand that no?

Pop quiz, hotshot.

If West ham would have gotten to the FA cup final last year and a ticket would have came your way, would you have gone?

I think we both know the answer to that.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
embarrassing Havertz

Indeed it was; was it more or less embarrassing than Andersen going down in the second half holding his head when not touched and McArthur trying to get Anthony Taylor to send Havertz off for a second yellow?

Slag Havertz off by all means, he deserves it for that, but let's be even-handed and call out the Palace players doing the same thing; cheating. (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pop quiz, hotshot.

If West ham would have gotten to the FA cup final last year and a ticket would have came your way, would you have gone?

I think we both know the answer to that.

Last year? Not a chance. This year probably

Real question is does it matter? No

Stop your willy measuring contest your starting to look like one.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Home after a long day. Yet again, we brought some colour and noise to Wembley. A tight game against a quality team and we just did not get many breaks, but proud of the team, manager and club. Would have been great to see Gallagher on the pitch, but don't blame Chelsea at all for not letting him play. Just hope we can convince the kid to stay another season or even better sign for someone who will play him every week....

As a lot of things with Palace..its the hope that kills you.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Home after a long day. Yet again, we brought some colour and noise to Wembley. A tight game against a quality team and we just did not get many breaks, but proud of the team, manager and club. Would have been great to see Gallagher on the pitch, but don't blame Chelsea at all for not letting him play. Just hope we can convince the kid to stay another season or even better sign for someone who will play him every week....

As a lot of things with Palace..its the hope that kills you.

Did we? Here's the relevant extract from the competition rules;

(j) Temporary (loan) Transfers
  1. (i) A player on a temporary (loan) transfer is ineligible to compete in the Challenge Cup Competition unless permission to do so is given by the lending Club in writing and a copy is received by The Association by 12 noon on the Friday prior to the date fixed for playing the Round. Any permissions must clearly state that the player has approval to play in The FA Challenge Cup Competition. A registered Trainee or a player who is registered on a Scholarship for work experience may play for another Club, subject to written permission being given by the Club that he is registered to and provided that such permission is received by The Association by 12 noon on the Friday prior to the date fixed for playing the Round. The Association will not give permission for players on loan or work experience to play against the lending Club.
  2. (ii) A player recalled, at any time prior to the date of the Round, to his original Club from temporary (loan) transfer, in accordance with the terms of the loan agreement, may represent his original Club. Such player may only play in postponed and replayed matches if he had been recalled in time for the first match in accordance with sub- paragraph (i) above and (iii) below as applicable.
  3. (iii) A player on temporary (loan) transfer is eligible to compete if transferred by the lending Club to the loaning Club after the date and time for player qualification for a round but must have been eligible to play in the original tie.
  4. (iv) Players on season “long term loan agreements”, are not considered “loan” players for the purposes of the Rule, and are therefore eligible to play in the Competition.
So did Chelsea block Gallagher playing or did the FA?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last year? Not a chance. This year probably

Real question is does it matter? No

Stop your willy measuring contest your starting to look like one.

Listen lad, if it was a "going the match" contest it would be over in the 1st round, I've probably been to more away matches in my life than you have seen west ham goals.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
How good were Liverpool in the first half.....Pep with a bizarre move to rest Ederson and it cost him. Liverpool v Chelsea final will be a cracker.

Man Utd's latest 'saviour' of a manager gets dusted by a woeful PSV side in the Dutch Cup Final and only 4 points ahead in the title race....:whistle:

Swango1980

Visit site
Listen lad, if it was a "going the match" contest it would be over in the 1st round, I've probably been to more away matches in my life than you have seen west ham goals.
Are you serious? Nobody cares. It means nothing in the context of posting in this forum. You will not be given a trophy, or some sort of special recognition.

You are sounding like a child in the playground, you're not really coming across well in this discussion, as much as you think you might be.

D

Deleted member 18121

You are sounding like a child in the playground, you're not really coming across well in this discussion, as much as you think you might be.

I'll give you a clue.... None of you in this petty point scoring argument are coming across well. It's embarrassing.