The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think there will be an auction for him in the summer IF West Ham arent in the CL. Be very surprised if any of the top 3 sides arent in for him
For me he’s just behind KDB.
First thought is forward
Hendo won’t last forever Rice is a perfect replacement.
But there is room for both of them

Swango1980

Visit site
Duncan Ferguson will soon be with his 9th manager - amazing that he continues to stay there as each manager leaves

the disallowed goal in the Leeds match is strange one , the guy is on the line , it’s going in regardless but I guess he’s disallowed because it hit him -
Offside is offside though, and if it hits your offside team mate before crossing the line, it is offside. If it wasn't offside, the technically the goal scorer is the guy who was offside, as it touched him last.

Also, there'd be uproar if the goal was given. The ref and VAR could very much be accused of making the rules up as they please. They're argument of "well, it was going in anyway" would he laughable and set a dangerous precedent for any similar incidents in future. The officials may make horror mistakes, but I hope they never become God like in F1 and just do as they please.

D

Deleted member 16999

Jim, this twitter thread sums up your feelings on all this much better than you can.

Nothing better than your mate sticking up for you, but sorry Guillem, 5 points since September is fairly and squarely on Benitez.

Since he joined he’s got rid of Everton’s Director of Medical, Head of Recruitment, Manager of Scouting, Director of Football and Lucas Digne, James & Bernard.

But according to him he hasn’t been protected by those who brought him in or even look after him! Please:rolleyes:

Thankfully brought Gray and even Townsend in, but what was his plan?

I wanted him to have at least 2 years, but that first half saturday was one of the worst displays I’ve seen in over 50 years.

A couple of Reds did say he was bad towards the end of his time at LPool, very stuck in his ways rumours of falling out with players and we didn’t that Rafa turning up, we needed the one they got at the beginning.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing better than your mate sticking up for you, but sorry Guillem, 5 points since September is fairly and squarely on Benitez.

Since he joined he’s got rid of Everton’s Director of Medical, Head of Recruitment, Manager of Scouting, Director of Football and Lucas Digne, James & Bernard.

But according to him he hasn’t been protected by those who brought him in or even look after him! Please:rolleyes:

Thankfully brought Gray and even Townsend in, but what was his plan?

I wanted him to have at least 2 years, but that first half saturday was one of the worst displays I’ve seen in over 50 years.

A couple of Reds did say he was bad towards the end of his time at LPool, very stuck in his ways rumours of falling out with players and we didn’t that Rafa turning up, we needed the one they got at the beginning.
The numbers don't lie, sadly, and we haven't been 'unlucky ' in matches. Performances have been poor, it's not clear what he was trying to do. Where he has been unlucky is the loss of DCL but he is culpable for bringing in Rondon so that is on him.

Scary so far, Martinez and Rooney are the two leading names ?. Hopefully that is early paper talk.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

There's a large element of mates defence there, yes. But I thought it reflected my wider concerns quite well. Looking from the outside in (because that's all we get) the only pattern of behaviour I see from the club is a long sequence of chaotic decisions without any direction or vision. It's not a pattern that's unique to Rafa, we've been doing it repeatedly, so if it keeps happening with each new manager we bring in, who's responsible? I'm just angry that we keep making the same mistakes, that there's no long term strategy and that we have been awful at playing football for so bloody long. ?

I was hoping Rafa would get more time but I also agree some of his decisions have been really bad. There were some glimmers of hope with him, even though some of the better performances are probably more down to luck than anything else. And, fair play to him, Pickford's been under pressure to perform miracles and without the good one turning up to so many games I think we would have conceded a lot more. There's just no escaping the hard facts of the scoresheets, Rafa was done for.

So back to the "What the flaps are we doing now?" question.

Martinez? MARTINEZ? The Martinez who sued us for 10 million last time he was fired? That Martinez?

ARRRGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

We're so bad I wouldn't be surprised if we're approaching Rafa to replace himself.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If not Martinez or Rooney, who would Everton fans want to have (that is at least a semi realistic option)? I assume it is a no for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer?
I'd wave a big cheque at Graham Potter. If i was Potter's agent I'd tell him to turn it down but hopefully he fancies a bit of life in the North ?.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Genuinely struggle to see one reason why Potter would leave Brighton for Newcastle (along with most of the other jobs he gets linked to)
I'm guessing you meant Everton. Yes, I'd agree. He has a very good set up there, it's a place that seems perfectly set up for him and what he wants to do. Saying that, I suspect he is not the highest paid in the league, won't have the biggest budget. If we could offer to double his pay, offer a big transfer budget in the summer then that may interest him. There is a glass ceiling at Brighton and he can't be far from it. Now there is also a ceiling at Everton in reality but we would be a step up the ladder for him.

D

Deleted member 16999

There's a large element of mates defence there, yes. But I thought it reflected my wider concerns quite well. Looking from the outside in (because that's all we get) the only pattern of behaviour I see from the club is a long sequence of chaotic decisions without any direction or vision. It's not a pattern that's unique to Rafa, we've been doing it repeatedly, so if it keeps happening with each new manager we bring in, who's responsible? I'm just angry that we keep making the same mistakes, that there's no long term strategy and that we have been awful at playing football for so bloody long. ?

I was hoping Rafa would get more time but I also agree some of his decisions have been really bad. There were some glimmers of hope with him, even though some of the better performances are probably more down to luck than anything else. And, fair play to him, Pickford's been under pressure to perform miracles and without the good one turning up to so many games I think we would have conceded a lot more. There's just no escaping the hard facts of the scoresheets, Rafa was done for.

So back to the "What the flaps are we doing now?" question.

Martinez? MARTINEZ? The Martinez who sued us for 10 million last time he was fired? That Martinez?

ARRRGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH!

We're so bad I wouldn't be surprised if we're approaching Rafa to replace himself.
We have to remember the names we are hearing are from the media, I don’t know how much say Kenwright actually has when discussing these things, Moshiri can’t be blamed for it all as the problems started way before he took over, but to allow Benitez to do so much in 6 months they must of discussed what they expected him to do and over what period, he was unlucky with some injuries, but also fully responsible for team selection etc.

Some of the fans need to remember exactly were we are in PL and how long it’s been since we genuinely contended year after year and not just 1 in 5.

Some won’t be happy with who they choose, maybe we could do with a Rooney type in the summer if we stay in the PL and he keeps Derby in the championship, Moyes wasn’t a big name signing he came from the championship so maybe we should be looking for hungry championship managers looking to build and prove themselves.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm guessing you meant Everton. Yes, I'd agree. He has a very good set up there, it's a place that seems perfectly set up for him and what he wants to do. Saying that, I suspect he is not the highest paid in the league, won't have the biggest budget. If we could offer to double his pay, offer a big transfer budget in the summer then that may interest him. There is a glass ceiling at Brighton and he can't be far from it. Now there is also a ceiling at Everton in reality but we would be a step up the ladder for him.

genuinely think the same whether Newcastle or Everton. both of those have issues above (ownership/expectations at Newc, board at Everton), think Brighton a better job for him until one of the bigger boys come knocking (as seems inevitable with how he is regarded within the game). he has a really good relationship with Bloom, a decent analytic based player purchase system that is clearly streets ahead of whats on offer at either of the other two, and less pressure attached

why is there a glass ceiling at Brighton that is below Evertons currently? not sure I see that apart from based on 10+ years ago history. as for salary, he'll get that when the big job does come along

(fwiw i thought exactly the same when he was linked to arsenal and tottenham too)

D

Deleted member 16999

genuinely think the same whether Newcastle or Everton. both of those have issues above (ownership/expectations at Newc, board at Everton), think Brighton a better job for him until one of the bigger boys come knocking (as seems inevitable with how he is regarded within the game). he has a really good relationship with Bloom, a decent analytic based player purchase system that is clearly streets ahead of whats on offer at either of the other two, and less pressure attached

why is there a glass ceiling at Brighton that is below Evertons currently? not sure I see that apart from based on 10+ years ago history. as for salary, he'll get that when the big job does come along

(fwiw i thought exactly the same when he was linked to arsenal and tottenham too)
Spot on, genuinely can’t see 1 footballing reason why he’d come to us at present.

Only reason would be if he wanted a big pay day, but I think he’s got more about him than to be that shallow at the present time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ultimately teams tend to end up in the table based on spending, salaries etc. There will always be exceptions but it is usually not far out. The spend and wages at Brighton are far below Everton, far below the numerous better teams than ourselves. It suggests Brighton are punching above their weight, as we are punching below ours, and in the end things will right themselves again. Bigger teams will come along and buy their better players, can they keep finding gems?

Interestingly, Potter is never mentioned for the utd job. Why not? The old, we need a big name, what has he won? Perhaps he needs to do well at a next level club before he gets talked about. I think the talk is wrong and he should be mentioned but maybe we can take advantage?

I've just done a quick Google. If the figures are right he is on around £1.75m. Lovely money. The same info suggests we paid Ancelloti £11m and I doubt Rafa is on significantly less. I don't know what they would offer our next manager but it's going to ve way more than £1.75m

Last edited:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how Brighton fare against Chelsea tomorrow. With so many of their top players out injured.
Dunk, Duffy, Llana, Mwepu and Bissouma playing in the AFCON. Yes all clubs have injury problems but Brightons are all first choice players.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It'll be interesting to see how Brighton fare against Chelsea tomorrow. With so many of their top players out injured.
Dunk, Duffy, Llana, Mwepu and Bissouma playing in the AFCON. Yes all clubs have injury problems but Brightons are all first choice players.

should just ask the prem league to postpone it, everyone else is ;)

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some of the fans need to remember exactly were we are in PL and how long it’s been since we genuinely contended year after year and not just 1 in 5.

I’d happily aim mid table for a few years if it meant we could clear the decks and rebuild a cheaper and more cohesive squad. Only then might we be able to talk about contending for something without embarrassing ourselves again.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ultimately teams tend to end up in the table based on spending, salaries etc. There will always be exceptions but it is usually not far out. The spend and wages at Brighton are far below Everton, far below the numerous better teams than ourselves. It suggests Brighton are punching above their weight, as we are punching below ours, and in the end things will right themselves again. Bigger teams will come along and buy their better players, can they keep finding gems?

Interestingly, Potter is never mentioned for the utd job. Why not? The old, we need a big name, what has he won? Perhaps he needs to do well at a next level club before he gets talked about. I think the talk is wrong and he should be mentioned but maybe we can take advantage?

I've just done a quick Google. If the figures are right he is on around £1.75m. Lovely money. The same info suggests we paid Ancelloti £11m and I doubt Rafa is on significantly less. I don't know what they would offer our next manager but it's going to ve way more than £1.75m

Well offer him £10m a year and see if he bites then :) Id bet the house Graham Potter isnt your next manager, because apart from an inflated salary everything else would be a downgrade on his current situation and think he is on a decent path