The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Shocking view, truly shocking and total disdain for match going fans.
Fine, let's go back to 3pm kick offs for every single game, and scrap showing them on TV.

Of course, that would be a shocking view, total disdain to fans who want to watch their team but cannot go to the stadium.

It is not like you are asking fans to leave their home at 4am week in week out. It may never happen in a season. But, if you live on one side of the country and you want to go to an away match at the other side of the country, you may well have an early start. Or you may well have a very late finish.

Besides, I used 4am simply as that was stated in a previous post. Realistically, who has to leave their home that early for a lunch time kick off?

Still not heard any solutions, apart from ditch showing match on TV altogether

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My take on match goers and telly (only) fans:-

Yes, when it comes to opinions going to a match regularly doesnt mean your Arrigo Sacchi, and there are some right divvies who go regularly, especially the divvy who sits two rows behind me. TV fans can be insightful and know there stuff.

However, I'll always give a bit more leeway to match goers as they put in the hard yards whether now or in the past. They have done the 5 hour journey after defeat in a midweek February night, taking 1-2 days off work, spending £100 plus in all weathers and often treated like crap by the police, opposition fans, Sky, BT, the FA and even their own clubs. Away matches arent for all, but SUPPORTING their team is a big thing in their life and make cost them thousands in a year, as well as the travel, time etc.

All of the above vs the twitter/footy forum/facebook internet "followers" who may as well be talking about gogglebox or GofT or any other "entertainment", of which footy just is for them. I also hate it when these gobshites are held up as our normal or true support. I think there is a big difference between our match going support in the main compared to our online/on screen ones, possibly also the same for Man u - I dont know, but do suspect. Unfortunately, we sometimes have to apologise for these types of supoorter on occasion, with them calling for mangers heads or slagging off players way before or way more than anyone who does at the ground - Roy Hodgson, notwithstanding. Sadly, our main support can get tarred by the same brush as the talksport knobs, tweeters etc

When I was in my 20's I hated man u and their supporters with a passion, now I can separate the club from their support and the same with a few other clubs. I would now rather have a rattling good chat with a Man u/Chelsea/ Everton fan (if they are fair-minded and can give and take) than with a completely biased Liverpool fan. I've met many fans on this here forum, and the footy fans I get on best with are the Man U and Chelsea fans - cracking lads, can shoot the breeze all day with them on footy, and most are/were regular match goers. Swapping stories of places been, games watched, journeys made show a camraderie that only the match going fan can have, and that can be with supporters of any team who has done the travels. Swapping stories on favourite armchairs, remote control speed and favourite match watching biscuits doesnt have the same allure for me.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fine, let's go back to 3pm kick offs for every single game, and scrap showing them on TV.

Of course, that would be a shocking view, total disdain to fans who want to watch their team but cannot go to the stadium.

It is not like you are asking fans to leave their home at 4am week in week out. It may never happen in a season. But, if you live on one side of the country and you want to go to an away match at the other side of the country, you may well have an early start. Or you may well have a very late finish.

Besides, I used 4am simply as that was stated in a previous post. Realistically, who has to leave their home that early for a lunch time kick off?

Brilliant, where do I sign up? Telly has brought many improvements, but also many irreversible bad things.

If its a 3pm and you have to get up early, so be it, but its when they make say a Sunderland vs Plymouth game a 12.30 ko which is taking the piss. Liverpool had a 7.30 Sunday FA cup game the other year in London, and there were no trains back afterwards, so why couldnt it have been a 2pm or even a 4pm - the fans are given NO consideration. its like over xmas, they should be able to make the fixtures so that no-one has more than a 150 mile journey.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Brilliant, where do I sign up? Telly has brought many improvements, but also many irreversible bad things.

If its a 3pm and you have to get up early, so be it, but its when they make say a Sunderland vs Plymouth game a 12.30 ko which is taking the piss. Liverpool had a 7.30 Sunday FA cup game the other year in London, and there were no trains back afterwards, so why couldnt it have been a 2pm or even a 4pm - the fans are given NO consideration. its like over xmas, they should be able to make the fixtures so that no-one has more than a 150 mile journey.

I remember they tried to move West Ham v Newcastle to Christmas Eve under lights a few years back. Both sets of fans were absolutely livid, there was absolutely no way the toon lot could be back for xmas, even if they drove. Thankfully it couldn't be moved as our club used the excuse of the Shopping centre next to the stadium being busy as an excuse (the one fans weren't even allowed in at the time)

We've not had a home game around Xmas since because of that, but it's one of the only times our owners actually did the right thing.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

You mention Christmas... Brighton are at home to Brentford on Boxing Day. 8pm kick off. The Amex was designed to be accessed by public transport and not by car. So you've got c. 30,000 people trying to leave a venue on Boxing Day when there are next to no buses or trains, and as it stands, the networks are holding firm on not putting the 'normal' amount of services. My wife and parents are STHs there and you can already tell it's going to be carnage. Sky couldn't give a flying one, it's on the tele - that's all they care about. Absolutely ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 1740

Southampton V Newcastle.

D

Deleted member 1740

Sky/PL/FA dont give a damn about match going fans, they never have and never will because they know fans are emotionally involved with their teams.

Unfortunately PL football is for the Telly clappers and corporates.

Last year proved, football was played behind closed doors for the telly clapper/armchair fan. I hated it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sky/PL/FA dont give a damn about match going fans, they never have and never will because they know fans are emotionally involved with their teams.

Last year proved, football was played behind closed doors for the telly clapper/armchair fan. I hated it.

Agree with all of that. Would add that the clubs don’t care either, they all take the cash. And imo it won’t be long till all games are televised, which will bring in even more to the clubs, and more inconvenience to match goers.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you never watch footy on telly?

Swango1980

Visit site
You mention Christmas... Brighton are at home to Brentford on Boxing Day. 8pm kick off. The Amex was designed to be accessed by public transport and not by car. So you've got c. 30,000 people trying to leave a venue on Boxing Day when there are next to no buses or trains, and as it stands, the networks are holding firm on not putting the 'normal' amount of services. My wife and parents are STHs there and you can already tell it's going to be carnage. Sky couldn't give a flying one, it's on the tele - that's all they care about. Absolutely ridiculous.
Southampton V Newcastle.
So, once a season an away fan might have to get up mega early IF that game is an early kick off (possible, but unlikely as it is not exactly a big game).

To be honest, I've heard plenty in here tell us television fans have opinions that are less respected, because they don't invest in travelling to games, or invest the time it takes. Then match going fans moan about having to get up early some times.

Well, they cant have it both ways. Play the heroes for investing so much time, then moaning for having to do so. It is their choice to commit to going to games. That is fine, and I respect that. But, if it is such a hardship, thet have the choice to stay home sometimes and watch on TV.

Not sure it is controversial, but the world doesnt revolve around match going fans only. Sure, doesn't mean they should be continually messed about, but sometimes they may just need to set their alarm clock early

D

Deleted member 1740

Agree with all of that. Would add that the clubs don’t care either, they all take the cash. And imo it won’t be long till all games are televised, which will bring in even more to the clubs, and more inconvenience to match goers.

Clubs aren't without criticism neither.

I think clubs should be fighting the corner of the fans re KO times but they wont bite the hand that feeds them.

If sky wrapped up today, most, if not all clubs would struggle.

D

Deleted member 1740

So, once a season an away fan might have to get up mega early IF that game is an early kick off (possible, but unlikely as it is not exactly a big game).

To be honest, I've heard plenty in here tell us television fans have opinions that are less respected, because they don't invest in travelling to games, or invest the time it takes. Then match going fans moan about having to get up early some times.

Well, they cant have it both ways. Play the heroes for investing so much time, then moaning for having to do so. It is their choice to commit to going to games. That is fine, and I respect that. But, if it is such a hardship, thet have the choice to stay home sometimes and watch on TV.

Not sure it is controversial, but the world doesnt revolve around match going fans only. Sure, doesn't mean they should be continually messed about, but sometimes they may just need to set their alarm clock early

The reverse fixture they'd have to do the same.

That's 1 example.

We done the same when we played Portsmouth 09 season iirc. We'd been away in europe wedmesday night, got back friday morming then had to get to Portsmouth for 12:45 KO

This is a common theme. Your attitude ti this sums up modern football fans

D

Deleted member 16999

Sky don’t consult Clubs when choosing what fixtures to show, some of that is the Clubs responsibility as they (as the PL) agreed the contract, the only ones that may get a say in when games take place is the local Police.

All is being asked is to take the time and the day into consideration when choosing the fixtures.

It’s not even all about the fans, look how they treat our Clubs playing in Europe.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's 1 example.

We done the same when we played Portsmouth 09 season iirc. We'd been away in europe wedmesday night, got back friday morming then had to get to Portsmouth for 12:45 KO

You’re wasting your time mate, we’ve already had examples on here about fans who travel hundreds and in some cases thousands of miles to every home game, look at the Irish that travel to PL games in England every week, book ferries, planes and hotels weeks/months in advance and then Sky change the fixture and then some blame the fans for booking early when they have to cancel or lose money.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Clubs aren't without criticism neither.

I think clubs should be fighting the corner of the fans re KO times but they wont bite the hand that feeds them.

If sky wrapped up today, most, if not all clubs would struggle.

I think they all would if the tv model vanished. It’s all advertising. No club survives on match day and merchandise imo.

Sky don’t consult Clubs when choosing what fixtures to show, some of that is the Clubs responsibility as they (as the PL) agreed the contract, the only ones that may get a say in when games take place is the local Police.

All is being asked is to take the time and the day into consideration when choosing the fixtures.

It’s not even all about the fans, look how they treat our Clubs playing in Europe.
I know the clubs aren’t consulted. My point was simply that the clubs know their fans will be affected, but still take the money. Which of course they should as they’re businesses.

D

Deleted member 1740

Do you never watch footy on telly?

Yeah i do but only the aways as we go to all the homes and i don't enjoy as much as i do when i'm there. I certainly dont choose to watch on the box over going.

I don't go to many aways but thats only down to 2 things. My lad plays football saturday/sunday mornings and access to tickets. Definitely not through CBA symdrome etc

D

Deleted member 1740

You’re wasting your time mate, we’ve already had examples on here about fans who travel hundreds and in some cases thousands of miles to every home game, look at the Irish that travel to PL games in England every week, book ferries, planes and hotels weeks/months in advance and then Sky change the fixture and then some blame the fans for booking early when they have to cancel or lose money.

I admire those fans that travel from London to Liverpool every other week, i dont think i could do it.

Those that choose not too but are experts in coaching, management, sports science, recovery and football finance via social media etc are the ones that get right up my nose.

Swango1980

Visit site

That's 1 example.

Maybe your attitude sums up fans living in the past?

If Sunderland are going to play away at Southampton, there is going to be a long trip ahead. Now some travelling fans may despise an early start (if it was a 12:30 kick off). Others might prefer it, as they prefer to travel early and get home at a semi reasonable time. Every fan will be different. However, if you are a fan that is committed to going to those games, don't moan about the logistics in getting there. I'd be more sympathetic if all your arrangements had been made, and then the fixture kick off / date was changed at the last minute. I certainly would back up your frustrations on that particular point.

I'm sure the calendar is not absolutely perfect in terms of every fixture being played at the ideal time, but it is not every week that a club is in Europe on a Wednesday and has a noon kick off on a Saturday. It happens, yes, especially to the big clubs, but it is not every week. And, if the fixture is moved because of TV, if it is such a hardship, watch it on TV that week. Nobody will think less of you.

Yes, Sky are selfish and are in it to make money. That is what businesses do. However, to do so they need to have a strong relationship with clubs and fans. They do so by giving clubs lots of money, and televising games for fans to watch (of which there will be many more than attend the game itself, again for the big clubs at least).

It is your attitude which scares me when people say it could be a good idea if fans were to take over clubs. What would season ticket holders at clubs like Liverpool, City, Chelsea, etc do? Veto 12pm kick offs, even if the games can no longer be televised? Would they accept a severe loss in revenue? Would they be happy to tell the millions of die hard fans of their clubs, those that invest in Sky or go to the pub, that "sorry, the game will not be on this week because travelling fans do not want to get up early to get to the game"? But, it is match going fans who know what is best, so certainly my opinion should be in no way respected.

PS: As I said before, I have full respect for the commitment of match going fans. I'd like to think most just get on with it, and enjoy their hobby. Perhaps they'll have the odd grumble when they've a long trip, unsuitable kick off time or go to a ground that is more inaccessible than many others. But, that is just part and parcel of football these days. We are not going back to the dark ages where every match is at 3pm on a Saturday, and the only chance non match goers will ever get to see their team is for a few minutes on Match of the Day.