The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2357635/everton-v-leicester-city-on-general-sale There you go!

That's the thing Homie, you aren't going week in week out, but you are still making an effort and contribution. You've done your due, your mindset and priorities are most likely very different to people that don't / have never. For example as a hammer the internet tells me Spurs is the best away day. That's not true. Burnley is a cracker, drinking with the home fans at the cricket club. Then a ropey night out after. Everton is crap because we always lose and you can't see anything. A Supporter can appreciate that but it won't even cross an armchairs mind.

And that's the issue. Supporters don't have the luxury of doing whats practical. They spend time organising travel and their season as soon as the fixture list comes out. Some would actually die for the club. Their opinion deserves more credence than someone who doesn't go because it "isn't practical". We have supporters groups all over the world that make it to a home game once a year, as I'm sure most clubs across the league system do.
There you go what?

Tickets are available for virtually every Club for every game!

Or are you vetting us on here now and wanting me to give you my personal circumstances and justify why I haven’t been home to Liverpool for 3 years.

Plenty of us on here have followed our Clubs home and away and even in to Europe in the 80’s and depending on ages of people I can assure you some of us have been to more games than some currently attending matches.

What next? A time frame?

As for your other points, the only time a match goers opinion is more important than the telly clapper is if they are talking about a game they were at or one of their players, otherwise they are the same as everyone else

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
But, a guy that goes to the game can spout as much garbage he wants, and he gets your respect. Makes sense. I'd respect his commitment, of course I would. But, I only respect his opinion if he earns it, and simply going to a game doesn't meet the full criteria for me. On the other hand, there are plenty of football fans I know and respect their opinions.

The type of fan I am losing more and more respect for is the arrogant type, who goes to games and then tells 90%+ of all other fans that their opinions are not respected because they do not go to games. Why should they be respected, they've effectively shut down any football debate before it even begins, because if they do not agree with you, they simply fall back on the "well, you don't go to games so I cannot respect your opinion". The type of fan I respect a lot is the type that goes to games, but is happy and open to debate football to anyone who wishes to discuss it. The ex director of my company went to every single Chelsea game, home and away. We chatted football a lot, and not once did he ever get close to using that card on me. He simply chatted football to me like he would anyone else, whether they go to games or not.

Id like to add - my points previous were not aimed at being this guy - I was simply putting across my views from what I see inside the stadiums. Ive enjoyed our debate this morning :ROFLMAO:

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
ie Sunderland fans now have to leave at 4:00am in a few weeks as their away game at Wycombe has been moved, absolute no issues with home fixtures.

Paul, I think 4 a.m is a tad early to leave Sunderland when the kick off is 12.30. The trip takes around 4.45 hours so the pubs may not be open @8.45!
However I do take your point about it being inconvenient, perhaps it would be an opportunity to be a tele clapper but they are a fanatical set of fans

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the thing Homie, you aren't going week in week out, but you are still making an effort and contribution. You've done your due, your mindset and priorities are most likely very different to people that don't / have never. For example as a hammer the internet tells me Spurs is the best away day. That's not true. Burnley is a cracker, drinking with the home fans at the cricket club. Then a ropey night out after. Everton is crap because we always lose and you can't see anything. A Supporter can appreciate that but it won't even cross an armchairs mind.
What does any of that have to do with what's happening on the pitch?

And that's the issue. Supporters don't have the luxury of doing whats practical. They spend time organising travel and their season as soon as the fixture list comes out. Some would actually die for the club. Their opinion deserves more credence than someone who doesn't go because it "isn't practical". We have supporters groups all over the world that make it to a home game once a year, as I'm sure most clubs across the league system do.
Just because you would die before missing a game, doesn't mean you have the foggiest clue what's going on on the pitch. When I used to go to Spurs games I heard plenty of absolute awful shouts from some braindead morons, who were no doubt there every single week. Surely we all have?? Sorry, I just don't see the correlation between how you spend your money and your Saturdays, and actually having knowledge about the game. One of my mates inexplicably supports Roma despite being English, so evidently he doesn't get to many live games, but to say he can't have an opinion about football would be farcical.

D

Deleted member 16999

ie Sunderland fans now have to leave at 4:00am in a few weeks as their away game at Wycombe has been moved, absolute no issues with home fixtures.

Paul, I think 4 a.m is a tad early to leave Sunderland when the kick off is 12.30. The trip takes around 4.45 hours so the pubs may not be open @8.45!
However I do take your point about it being inconvenient, perhaps it would be an opportunity to be a tele clapper but they are a fanatical set of fans
My mate, who goes and is going to said match, was chatting to me last night and that’s what time him and his dad are leaving home to meet up with the coach that they’re going on.

Swango1980

Visit site
What is wrong with leaving at 4am anyway. These "die hard" fans are prepared to travel many miles to see their team, so how come they have no issue with distance, but do with the time of day? Does it not mean they get home earlier at least? Also, the traffic may be a bit better at 4am in the morning.

At the end of the day, if you are the type of person who is willing to travel nearly 300 miles to a game of football, don't be moaning that you might have to get up a bit early.

D

Deleted member 16999

What is wrong with leaving at 4am anyway. These "die hard" fans are prepared to travel many miles to see their team, so how come they have no issue with distance, but do with the time of day? Does it not mean they get home earlier at least? Also, the traffic may be a bit better at 4am in the morning.

At the end of the day, if you are the type of person who is willing to travel nearly 300 miles to a game of football, don't be moaning that you might have to get up a bit early.
Are you being serious?

The fixture has been moved by Sky, it has a knock on effect, people arrange travel, ie, may of purchased train tickets in advance, may of changed work shifts or even childcare etc.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Mornings arent for me.... but its easier getting up at 4am for Villa than 7am for work :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
Are you being serious?

The fixture has been moved by Sky, it has a knock on effect, people arrange travel, ie, may of purchased train tickets in advance, may of changed work shifts or even childcare etc.
To be fair, I don't know how long in advance fixtures are changed by Sky? Or, how much cheaper it would be to book travel before these times are changes compared to waiting until the kick off is confirmed.

I guess my point is, if you are prepared to travel 300 miles to a game of football, then there are going to be long journeys that require early starts and / or late finishes. It would also make sense to make preparations when you know the time / date is confirmed. If you struggle to do that, then you have to ask is this a risk you are prepared to take or not? No one forces anyone to go to the games, so those that do do so knowing these sorts of things can be a pain in the backside at times. I'm sure many plan their travels using experience to cause the least amount of potential grief.

What would the alternative solution be to avoid this problem? Would it be simply not to televise it on Sky?

D

Deleted member 16999

To be fair, I don't know how long in advance fixtures are changed by Sky? Or, how much cheaper it would be to book travel before these times are changes compared to waiting until the kick off is confirmed.

I guess my point is, if you are prepared to travel 300 miles to a game of football, then there are going to be long journeys that require early starts and / or late finishes. It would also make sense to make preparations when you know the time / date is confirmed. If you struggle to do that, then you have to ask is this a risk you are prepared to take or not? No one forces anyone to go to the games, so those that do do so knowing these sorts of things can be a pain in the backside at times. I'm sure many plan their travels using experience to cause the least amount of potential grief.

What would the alternative solution be to avoid this problem? Would it be simply not to televise it on Sky?
In some cases yes, Sky have never cared about the fans, look at the debacle every Christmas.

You really can’t put all this on the fans and them needing to be flexible or to “put up with whatever”

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
With most things, I agree. Especially under lights if most are seeing double.

But in this specific instance it was related to VAR and It's effect on the atmosphere. Mine and Bills original point was that in the ground it's pretty emotional, and increases the atmosphere. If VAR makes the atmosphere "sterile" in someone's front room and makes them cancel their sky subscription. Fair enough. It'll take that trade for no absolute howler of decisions. That's the main discussion here.

What does any of that have to do with what's happening on the pitch?

Just because you would die before missing a game, doesn't mean you have the foggiest clue what's going on on the pitch. When I used to go to Spurs games I heard plenty of absolute awful shouts from some braindead morons, who were no doubt there every single week. Surely we all have?? Sorry, I just don't see the correlation between how you spend your money and your Saturdays, and actually having knowledge about the game. One of my mates inexplicably supports Roma despite being English, so evidently he doesn't get to many live games, but to say he can't have an opinion about football would be farcical.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Ive had one game thats moved this season AFTER me buying a ticket - moved to midweek. We do usually get good notice.

Was a ball ache but I made KO :ROFLMAO: JUST!

Swango1980

Visit site
If they just stopped showing matches on Sky, would the club get less revenue from Sky than they do already? What about all the fans of that club that cannot make the game. Do you rob them of watching the match just so the travelling fans can have a lie in?

D

Deleted member 15344

With most things, I agree. Especially under lights if most are seeing double.

But in this specific instance it was related to VAR and It's effect on the atmosphere. Mine and Bills original point was that in the ground it's pretty emotional, and increases the atmosphere. If VAR makes the atmosphere "sterile" in someone's front room and makes them cancel their sky subscription. Fair enough. It'll take that trade for no absolute howler of decisions. That's the main discussion here.

Sorry I didn’t realise it was about VAR

The initial months of VAR wasn’t great for the fans in the stadium because they were unsure what was going on so left a little in the dark where as the guys watching on Telly could understand what was happening and why

There is no “atmosphere” as such in a front room and can never really be one - and VAR hasn’t really changed that. If someone cancels because of vAR that to me is plain daft

And I’m not a fan of VAR