The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

4LEX

Visit site
I'd like to apolgise to West Ham. I said last season Pepe was a West Ham signing in the making but it's clear he wouldn't even get a game for their reserves. He's now overtaken Bakayoko as the biggest waste of money in Premier League history. Over £70m and £200k a week and has contributed nothing but hundreds of step overs, a load of dives and the odd goal against non entities.

Arteta is clearly struggling but you can't manage a club with so many toxic and lazy players on sky high wages. Arsenal are now a mid table side, they'll finish 7-13th for the foreseeable future.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Same old Arsenal performance laboured,, toothless, uninspiring. Too many players going through the motions. Lucky to get a point.

Get used to it, wrong board, wrong director of football, awful tfr window and an insipid manager. Would love to know what they actually do on the training pitch each week......

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do they keep talking about Arteta needing time to get his style with a new bunch of players after nearly 2 years there, having been outplayed by a new Palace side (missing Zaha and Eze) that Viera has had for 2 months who all clearly knew what their roles were (unlike half the Arsenal side)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do they keep talking about Arteta needing time to get his style with a new bunch of players after nearly 2 years there, having been outplayed by a new Palace side (missing Zaha and Eze) that Viera has had for 2 months who all clearly knew what their roles were (unlike half the Arsenal side)

I looked at the Arsenal line-up and realised just how far they've fallen from being genuine challengers when you look at how many of this Arsenal team would get into the squad of the last Arsenal team to win the league. It's not even a question of how many would get into that team, it's how many would get into that squad. Aubamayang, Saka, Tierney, possibly Lacazette and that's about it. If you compare their squad to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea they're miles away from being challengers. Even comparing them to the next level down of Man Utd, Leicester, Tottenham they're far behind.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I looked at the Arsenal line-up and realised just how far they've fallen from being genuine challengers when you look at how many of this Arsenal team would get into the squad of the last Arsenal team to win the league. It's not even a question of how many would get into that team, it's how many would get into that squad. Aubamayang, Saka, Tierney, possibly Lacazette and that's about it. If you compare their squad to Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea they're miles away from being challengers. Even comparing them to the next level down of Man Utd, Leicester, Tottenham they're far behind.

I actually think the squad is more encouraging than it was a couple of years ago, albeit thats not saying much. There are some decent youngsters on the books but still massively hamstrung by so many older overpaid squad members that just dont offer anything close to what theyre being paid and a squad that is very unbalanced. Add in they seem to have spent over £150m this summer and not actually managed to improve the starting XI and managing to extend the contract of the biggest problem at the club for another 3 years

The club has massively destroyed asset values the last decade whilst overpaying average at best players; Aubam, Laca, Pepe, Xhaka, Kolasinac, Leno, Mari, Soares, Elneny are on a combined basic of well over £1m a week but hard to argue any of them are close to earning their wages. This summer tfr strategy refused to acknowledge what the side needed now and instead tried to plan for a few years time by which time they may well find themselves in the championship if theyre not careful

Massive change is needed and has been for a long time but instead they keep repeating a lot of the same errors

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'd like to apolgise to West Ham. I said last season Pepe was a West Ham signing in the making but it's clear he wouldn't even get a game for their reserves. He's now overtaken Bakayoko as the biggest waste of money in Premier League history. Over £70m and £200k a week and has contributed nothing but hundreds of step overs, a load of dives and the odd goal against non entities.

Arteta is clearly struggling but you can't manage a club with so many toxic and lazy players on sky high wages. Arsenal are now a mid table side, they'll finish 7-13th for the foreseeable future.
If Moyes was managing them, they'd be doing better. Likewise (despite a dodgy result) Benitez. It turns out there's a bit more to being a good manager than being a half decent ex player. Ask Fat Frank...

D

Deleted member 15344

With the Man Utd / Liverpool game coming up ( expecting a dull draw )

They did the old combined 11

They agreed on 8 players

Alisson
TAA
VVD
Robertson
Henderson
Fabinho
Mane
Salah

Carra went for
Matip
Fernandes
Greenwood

Neville went for

Maguire
Firmino
Ronaldo

For me Carra has it about right

Matip is superb and been our best CB this season , Fernandes is the best attacking mid and has played well and Greenwood is superb

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regarding Man Utd Liverpool combined XI, for me it's...

Alisson
Trent
- Van Dijk - Varane - Robertson
Bruno - Fabinho - Pogba
Salah - Ronaldo - Mane

D

Deleted member 15344

Regarding Man Utd Liverpool combined XI, for me it's...

Alisson
Trent
- Van Dijk - Varane - Robertson
Bruno - Fabinho - Pogba
Salah - Ronaldo - Mane

pogba ?????

and Varane hasn’t really pulled up trees this season

D

Deleted member 1740

With the Man Utd / Liverpool game coming up ( expecting a dull draw )

They did the old combined 11

They agreed on 8 players

Alisson
TAA
VVD
Robertson
Henderson
Fabinho
Mane
Salah

Carra went for
Matip
Fernandes
Greenwood

Neville went for

Maguire
Firmino
Ronaldo

For me Carra has it about right

Matip is superb and been our best CB this season , Fernandes is the best attacking mid and has played well and Greenwood is superb

These things are pointless, it just creates more tension in the build up to games.

2 things surprised me.

1. The best defence in the PL never got in ?
2. Neville's reasoning for sticking maguire in. He said "Matip only looks good because he plays next to VVD" then stuck Maguire in whose average at best?‍♂️

How has Firmino got in?? Those who've played the game won't be happy, oh wait a minute ??