The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
It puts him towards the bottom of those who’ve made 1000 games, think Pulis has a similar record. It’s the fact he continually gets chances, his record for us is actually 27%. I understand it’s going to do for some chairman, but there’s a disconnect between how he’s lauded, and the reality of the fact he just seems to always drag teams down to a lower part of the league level.
That is just it though, does he drag them down, or does he make a good fist of keeping poor teams up? Managers like him, Pulis and Allardyce never / rarely seem to get chances at the better clubs within a league, clubs with bigger budgets and clubs with players who can play nice attacking football. They get typecast into positions where they manage slow, poor quality lethargic teams, and it is their job to try and strength the players mentality and defence, and hope to pick up enough points to keep safe.

It'll never happen, but if any of those managers suddenly found themselves at a big club, I'm sure they would have a much more impressive win %. Sure, probably not as impressive as the "top" managers, nor playing a style of football fans would be impressed with. However, I bet they'd be somewhat more attacking than we know them as being, because suddenly they'd have very different players than they are used to.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Well agree he was never going to replace Gerrard.
I think his attitude has stopped him being a better player.
He has the talent I am sure, but he can’t control himself when things get tough.
He always looks like he’s just lost a tenner.
Very good golfer by all accounts… represented Northumbria county team I believe recently.

Swango1980

Visit site
He’s exciting, I went to the Leeds game and every time he got the ball fans were on their feet. His decision making and final ball could be better and his positional play at times too, but he really does attract 2/3 defenders every time he gets it, and often gets past them. Noticed the Leeds game him, almiron and willock didn’t seem to trust anyone else, at times actively playing away from Ritchie and joelinton etc which can lead to them over running and stuff.

He reminds me a bit of a fifa player, where once it’s been decided he’s going to shoot or pass he then can’t change his mind even if something stops him the first time, he keeps trying until it happens, sometimes it comes off like the Leeds goal, but most often he just ends up in a bit of a cul de sac. But overall he’s a great great player to watch. Think we’ll get maybe one maybe 2 more seasons out of him.

Interesting, just read that Phil fodens agent is one of the ‘football advisors’ to Staveley!!! ?
Newcastle should buy Traore from Wolves. It would be an entertaining watch with him on the right, and Maximin on the left.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Newcastle should buy Traore from Wolves. It would be an entertaining watch with him on the right, and Maximin on the left.
In theory we should get that from almiron on the right as a pacy winger, but he’s not really kicked on as hoped and seems to play more through the middle. But I’d love Traore, I think he’s great and Wilson would relish having him in the team.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
That is just it though, does he drag them down, or does he make a good fist of keeping poor teams up? Managers like him, Pulis and Allardyce never / rarely seem to get chances at the better clubs within a league, clubs with bigger budgets and clubs with players who can play nice attacking football. They get typecast into positions where they manage slow, poor quality lethargic teams, and it is their job to try and strength the players mentality and defence, and hope to pick up enough points to keep safe.

It'll never happen, but if any of those managers suddenly found themselves at a big club, I'm sure they would have a much more impressive win %. Sure, probably not as impressive as the "top" managers, nor playing a style of football fans would be impressed with. However, I bet they'd be somewhat more attacking than we know them as being, because suddenly they'd have very different players than they are used to.
I appreciate I’m probably far too invested to look at it rationally and balanced and see anything other than my already well established view that he’s sh… however, I do strongly stand by that opinion.

In the case of us, he took a half decent team from Benitez, and made them worse in every measurable output, xg for/against, shots, touches in final third possession, everything went down. And arguably he has a better team. Wilson, ASM, willock.
But more than that, it’s the relationship with fans, the hostility and rubbish he spouts regarding ‘his way’ etc. I think he had a difficult time because of Ashley, and he was the voice of the club when he shouldn’t have been through covid and other issues, but we were always going to get to this point that he would drag us down into a relegation scrap.

Ironically, Allardyces big chance was probably with us to be fair, and Mike Ashley (and the previous owners) did a bit of a job on him. Was a shame because I think he would have had us in the top half comfortably if he got the investment and time.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He’s exciting, I went to the Leeds game and every time he got the ball fans were on their feet. His decision making and final ball could be better and his positional play at times too, but he really does attract 2/3 defenders every time he gets it, and often gets past them. Noticed the Leeds game him, almiron and willock didn’t seem to trust anyone else, at times actively playing away from Ritchie and joelinton etc which can lead to them over running and stuff.

He reminds me a bit of a fifa player, where once it’s been decided he’s going to shoot or pass he then can’t change his mind even if something stops him the first time, he keeps trying until it happens, sometimes it comes off like the Leeds goal, but most often he just ends up in a bit of a cul de sac. But overall he’s a great great player to watch. Think we’ll get maybe one maybe 2 more seasons out of him.

Interesting, just read that Phil fodens agent is one of the ‘football advisors’ to Staveley!!! ?

Given the choice of Traore or St. Maximam, I would go with your guy every time, nearly as good as Traore in full flight but miles better in end product.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Whilst not in the prem - Bruce had cash to spend in the championship at Villa but often we signed busts. I dont know if those were his decisions or not...

Enter a new manager and 2 class loanees and we got promoted - playing better football.

I do thank him for John McGinn and pulling JT in for a couple of years. Both smart business.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
He’s an awful awful manager, there is absolutely no point skirting around that. How he continually gets jobs with a win % of 35% is ridiculous, and the comments you hear like yday regarding him walking into another job just fuel the feeling amongst Newcastle fans that his chums in the media just blindly stick up for him. Watching us take the lead then retreat back, but with no defensive shape or plan just sums us up.

As for shelvey, he typifies the Bruce and Ashley era in some respect, over paid and doesn’t offer much. The previous manager (Benitez) didn’t rate him and he didn’t offer anything to the Benitez team plan, therefore he didn’t play. Bruce doesn’t have that plan, therefore shelvey plays because he’s a highly paid player. (Shelvey even said he prefers Bruce, because training is easier ffs). Shelvey was a decent prospect in teens because he makes the odd 40 yard pass, now he’s a luxury player in a non luxury position, in a team that can ill afford luxuries. Even ASM does more running.

Bruce has to go, just for the clean break. But rumblings of rumours regarding Jones lack of interest in a caretaker role, and the fact if all the Steves (Bruce, Agnew, clemence) went, we wouldn’t have enough coaches to run the place. It’s a bit of a concern and something they clearly need to get in order quick.

I agree as a manager he’s not that good i haven’t watched a full 90 mins of a Newcastle game but I was surprised yesterday how poor your team were, to keep just lumping the ball upfield is very outdated now, poor tactics in defense, all over the place.

But you’ve got the golden ticket now and 4/5 years it’s possible you should compete with the best ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No Zaha a massive bonus for Arsenal tonight cant help think were a body (or two) light in midfield. Its like Artetas is determined to perpetuate the myth of Xhaka by not actually replacing him and then claiming how much we miss him when hes not there lol

Edit: sorry for talking about footie ;)

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good finish but what on earth does Aubamayang think he looks like? Is he trying to look like a pirate? Surely there must be someone in his inner circle with the balls to say "You look ridiculous", or are these players so pampered that they're surrounded by people that just agree with everything they say or do?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good finish but what on earth does Aubamayang think he looks like? Is he trying to look like a pirate? Surely there must be someone in his inner circle with the balls to say "You look ridiculous", or are these players so pampered that they're surrounded by people that just agree with everything they say or do?

he can look like coco the clown for all i care as long as hes definitely stopped playing like him ;)