The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Man U are flying to Leicester today Seem to remember Liverpool flying to Hull a few years ago. Anybody know what the shortest plane journey taken for a footballs at home is in The Premiership? Also how economic is it compared to coach travel when they have to get to the Airport and drop off at the other end?

D

Deleted member 1740

Salah's goal was pure filth.

Great win, solid performance.

That offside rule needs looking at though. We benefitted from it today but we've also fallen foul to it aswell v spurs a few seasons ago.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Man U are flying to Leicester today Seem to remember Liverpool flying to Hull a few years ago. Anybody know what the shortest plane journey taken for a footballs at home is in The Premiership? Also how economic is it compared to coach travel when they have to get to the Airport and drop off at the other end?
I believe the excuse is that there are roadworks on the m6 and they didn't want to get caught in them. Not sure how well that really stands up to scrutiny. It is a 100 mile journey, there are other roads, they could have gone the night before, they could have set off earlier. All are better than taking a plane for this distance.

In their defence, not for this journey, utd certainly used to travel by train on occasions, Crewe is their station of choice, and get the coach at the other end. It's a shame they didn't do the same on this occasion.

D

Deleted member 15344

Clinical superb performance

Offside rule is a mess

Salah the best in the world

Swango1980

Visit site
They would've used the bus but Ole's parked it again.
United fans need to stop defending Ole now, just because he was a good servant as a player. As a manager, he is horrific. If Pep or Klopp were out of a job tomorrow, every club would queue up for them. If most managers lost their job tomorrow, there would be at least some clubs interested.

If Ole was to be jobless tomorrow, I can't imagine one club being interested. Not in Premiership, Championship, League 1 or League 2. I wouldn't have him as manager for my over 35's 8aside football team.

D

Deleted member 1740

United fans need to stop defending Ole now, just because he was a good servant as a player. As a manager, he is horrific. If Pep or Klopp were out of a job tomorrow, every club would queue up for them. If most managers lost their job tomorrow, there would be at least some clubs interested.

If Ole was to be jobless tomorrow, I can't imagine one club being interested. Not in Premiership, Championship, League 1 or League 2. I wouldn't have him as manager for my over 35's 8aside football team.

Stop being fickle and give him a chance, he's doing a good job.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I’ve been patient because I can see the direction the club has been taking with some of the signings in recent years. Varane is a quality signing, and Sancho is very much one for the future.

For me, whilst the signing of Ronaldo made me all dewy eyed, it was nevertheless a huge backward step and not part of a long term plan at all. I just don’t see the fit, and whilst I’m happy to see him in the Premier League once again, it really unsettles the attacking talent we have.

Solskjaer simply doesn’t get the best out of these players, and never will. Defensively we are shambolic, there is absolutely no defensive quality in front of the back four, and with the run of games we have coming up we could easily find our season is over by the end of November.

All that said, I am not sure who United could replace Solskjaer with. Conte keeps getting a mention, but he is not a long term manager. Zidane? No thanks. It might be time to look at a younger manager, maybe one who hasn’t won anything, but who has demonstrated an ability to get the best out of his players.

United under Solskjaer continue to be largely turgid, with flat team performances being papered over by moments of individual brilliance. It’s starting to wear very thin.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’ve been patient because I can see the direction the club has been taking with some of the signings in recent years. Varane is a quality signing, and Sancho is very much one for the future.

For me, whilst the signing of Ronaldo made me all dewy eyed, it was nevertheless a huge backward step and not part of a long term plan at all. I just don’t see the fit, and whilst I’m happy to see him in the Premier League once again, it really unsettles the attacking talent we have.

Solskjaer simply doesn’t get the best out of these players, and never will. Defensively we are shambolic, there is absolutely no defensive quality in front of the back four, and with the run of games we have coming up we could easily find our season is over by the end of November.

All that said, I am not sure who United could replace Solskjaer with. Conte keeps getting a mention, but he is not a long term manager. Zidane? No thanks. It might be time to look at a younger manager, maybe one who hasn’t won anything, but who has demonstrated an ability to get the best out of his players.

United under Solskjaer continue to be largely turgid, with flat team performances being papered over by moments of individual brilliance. It’s starting to wear very thin.
I'd rather have Allardyce over Ole now. I don't want Allardyce, but anybody would have more of a clue on management than Ole.

Ole has never proved himself in management before he came to Utd. He was an interim manager, but the players seemed to have positive response to the departure of Mourinho. We were fooled into thinking it was Ole's doing, and signed him as a permanent manager. He has had his chance now, and he is MILES out of his depth.

Billysboots

Visit site
I'd rather have Allardyce over Ole now. I don't want Allardyce, but anybody would have more of a clue on management than Ole.

Ole has never proved himself in management before he came to Utd. He was an interim manager, but the players seemed to have positive response to the departure of Mourinho. We were fooled into thinking it was Ole's doing, and signed him as a permanent manager. He has had his chance now, and he is MILES out of his depth.

Agreed. And Alan Hutton sums up my thoughts perfectly with the following comment on 5 Live;

“At the back, Man Utd are a shambles. I have to be honest. Watching them, they are a team full of world class players, but they aren't playing as a team. When they get results, it is down to individual brilliance.”

It cannot continue.

D

Deleted member 1740

Bit of an overreaction,no?

It would be funny him as the manager though.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Agreed
The trouble is only the fans are holding these players account.

Ole should be up screaming at players.
Maguire was shocking
Roy Keane would be getting him by the scruff of the neck and shaking him like a rag doll to wake him up.
Ole unfortunately in the end will go,wether it’s sooner or later I don’t know,but this season could be over unless things change drastically and quickly.

Billysboots

Visit site
Agreed
The trouble is only the fans are holding these players account.

Ole should be up screaming at players.
Maguire was shocking
Roy Keane would be getting him by the scruff of the neck and shaking him like a rag doll to wake him up.
Ole unfortunately in the end will go,wether it’s sooner or later I don’t know,but this season could be over unless things change drastically and quickly.

United lack a leader on the pitch. Maguire isn’t a captain - nowhere near vocal enough. I’d love to see someone with the vocal qualities of Conor Coady - I love what he brings to a side in that sense, regardless of playing ability.

Alas, I can’t see any managerial changes before the end of the season, unless Solskjaer falls on his sword. I just don’t see the club sacking him, unless the results start to match the performances. And that won’t happen whilst individuals like Ronaldo, Pogba and Bruno keep bailing Solskjaer out.

With the exception of some cover at right back, and someone with the quality of Kante in the middle of the park, United now have a squad capable of competing. I’d hate to see the quality we have start to drift away because they don’t have the manager with the nouse to get them playing as a team.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If United want to stick with the former player becoming the manager route then Steve Bruce could be available fairly soon. :D