The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just trying to think of players at clubs who may be on their way out who Newcastle could sign.
Sterling, would he want to go there?
Lingard, maybe.
Kane ??
Got to be honest I'm struggling. I imagine they'll do a City and pay over the odds for hyped prima donnas first off.

I hear that all agents are on their way to St James Park right now ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just trying to think of players at clubs who may be on their way out who Newcastle could sign.
Lingard, maybe.
Kane ??
Got to be honest I'm struggling. I imagine they'll do a City and pay over the odds for hyped prima donnas first off.
Agree with this. If you look at the team the only player who is really PL, mid table and above is Saint Maximim. Wilson might be but he is injured too often. That means they need a huge overhaul and you can't simply get really good players in on that scale. They will look at the team and go 'no thanks'. That means either Newcastle pay over the top, as you say, or they will have to build gradually picking up off casts. Maybe they can pick up some bargains from Barcelona or other financially strapped big boys right now but their wage bill will go nuts. Coutinho to Newcastle anyone?

As @Piece says, the agents will be pointing their private Leer jets at Newcastle right now.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do what Chelsea did and buy almost every player that showed half decent premier League ability

Remember when they had j cole, Robben and duff as their wingers?

D

Deleted member 16999

Lingard, maybe.
Kane ??
Or go for those near end of contract and pay massive wages.

D

Deleted member 16999

Agree with this. If you look at the team the only player who is really PL, mid table and above is Saint Maximim. Wilson might be but he is injured too often. That means they need a huge overhaul and you can't simply get really good players in on that scale. They will look at the team and go 'no thanks'. That means either Newcastle pay over the top, as you say, or they will have to build gradually picking up off casts. Maybe they can pick up some bargains from Barcelona or other financially strapped big boys right now but their wage bill will go nuts. Coutinho to Newcastle anyone?

As @Piece says, the agents will be pointing their private Leer jets at Newcastle right now.
A lot may depend on what timescale the owners want success, if it’s a 5-10yr plan it maybe players to gradually move up the league, if it’s short term success then they’d have to spend big on at least 2-3 headline signings.

I wonder if they’ll go for an available manager or try and poach one from another Club?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot may depend on what timescale the owners want success, if it’s a 5-10yr plan it maybe players to gradually move up the league, if it’s short term success then they’d have to spend big on at least 2-3 headline signings.

I wonder if they’ll go for an available manager or try and poach one from another Club?
I think your first point is the key to all of this. What may scupper some things is that they look like relegation fodder now, look who they have played and so still have to play, and so they will need to react to some degree in January. In an ideal world they would go with the 5-10yr plan, I think, and go with someone like Eddie Howe. The alternative is a big, daft name from overseas and waste money like crazy.

I think we know from our own club that one of the most important signings will be the director of football. They need a calm head who can guide them through this spell.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think your first point is the key to all of this. What may scupper some things is that they look like relegation fodder now, look who they have played and so still have to play, and so they will need to react to some degree in January. In an ideal world they would go with the 5-10yr plan, I think, and go with someone like Eddie Howe. The alternative is a big, daft name from overseas and waste money like crazy.

I think we know from our own club that one of the most important signings will be the director of football. They need a calm head who can guide them through this spell.
I reckon the first job will be a new Manager, Benitez? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Manager will attract the players and show the World how high they are focusing and what their target is, no way do I think they’ll have a 10yr plan it’ll be success as soon as possible, big spends at Christmas and even more next summer.

They’ll be looking for CL qualification as a minimum in 2-3 seasons imo.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I reckon the first job will be a new Manager, Benitez? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Manager will attract the players and show the World how high they are focusing and what their target is, no way do I think they’ll have a 10yr plan it’ll be success as soon as possible, big spends at Christmas and even more next summer.

They’ll be looking for CL qualification as a minimum in 2-3 seasons imo.
Conte for the Toon? :oops:.

Can you imagine his first training session with the current players? His arms would be flailing all over the place in wonderful Italian exasperation :LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

Whatever happens, it's going to be one hell of a roller coaster ride up here ?
100% agree, regardless of the morality of the owners or ffp etc, the normal fan in the street wants to see their team win on a saturday and win trophies, 99% of those fans don’t care who the owners are and were the money is coming from.

Their is nothing else in the City to compete for the fans hence why they have such a massive, passionate fan base.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Surely FFP wont allow them to just invest like a cash cow.

Villa's owners are pretty rich - were the 4th highest spenders in the prem since our return. Still cant go dropping 200m a window... Newcastle are a whole squad away from being relevant

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Villa's owners are pretty rich - were the 4th highest spenders in the prem since our return. Still cant go dropping 200m a window... Newcastle are a whole squad away from being relevant
Big Mike hasn't been spending so I believe they have around £180m to splash before they touch FFP. This is according to press reports up here, I don't have an inside track. That wont buy them a top team but it can turn them into a mid table team in a year or two and that would make the fans happy. They can push on from there after that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure how correct this is, but seems to be reasonably accurate:

Under ffp A club can spend twice its annual turnover, over a 2 year period... their turnover is approx £120m.
Therefore after making profits under Ashley, Newc could have owner investments of over £240m and their outgoings can be double that again.

Another estimate:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure how correct this is, but seems to be reasonably accurate:

Under ffp A club can spend twice its annual turnover, over a 2 year period... their turnover is approx £120m.
Therefore after making profits under Ashley, Newc could have owner investments of over £240m and their outgoings can be double that again.
This is before the disproportionately mega stadium sponsor deal that is bound to happen. Apparently @Tashyboy can tell them how to do that to max the cash ;):LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

This is before the disproportionately mega stadium sponsor deal that is bound to happen. Apparently @Tashyboy can tell them how to do that to max the cash ;):LOL:
There is no way this consortium is buying a PL team to sit back and watch them fight relegation battles season after season.

“Big Six” may well be renamed “Super Seven” in the next few years.:ROFLMAO: