The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
As you may all now be aware - Im villa home and away! (4 years and counting!)

What a day I had on saturday. Quite possibly the best away day (bar Wembley) I have ever experienced as a Villa fan.

Villa are getting better every week, the squad depth is great and our first team look hard to beat. We have come a very long way from Jack Grealish FC in a very short space of time - and actually, I think we're better for it!

We were very over-reliant on one, very talented and able player - now we have talent everywhere, they work as a team and man its exciting times to be a Villain.

SIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU (do one Ronny)
You can’t rely on being that outplayed and opposition being so wasteful.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I can rely on a fantastic defensive record since 2019 season though. We're not aiming top 4 are we.... :ROFLMAO: All things take time

United are supposed to be title contenders......... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Also - we were not outplayed at all. Shots from miles away and a bit of extra possession mean absolutely F all in football. Literally just kept having to shoot from outsided the box because you couldnt get a look in. Outplayed my arse.

Swango1980

Visit site
Also - we were not outplayed at all. Shots from miles away and a bit of extra possession mean absolutely F all in football. Literally just kept having to shoot from outsided the box because you couldnt get a look in. Outplayed my arse.
Beating Manchester Utd is not a sign of progress. Ask Young Boys. It is common that United completely fail to break down half decent defensive teams, and get hammered on the counter or set pieces. Ole has not got a way of dealing with this, except cross his fingers and hope his players quality do it for him. Villa could just as easily turn up at Utd next week and lose 5-0. Turn up the week after and win 3-0. A sign of progress is playing well against your Evertons, Crystal Palaces, Wolves, etc. Teams that don't rely on player quality to get wins, but incorporate tactics to both try and defend well and get the best out of their attacking players.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Beating Manchester Utd is not a sign of progress. Ask Young Boys. It is common that United completely fail to break down half decent defensive teams, and get hammered on the counter or set pieces. Ole has not got a way of dealing with this, except cross his fingers and hope his players quality do it for him. Villa could just as easily turn up at Utd next week and lose 5-0. Turn up the week after and win 3-0. A sign of progress is playing well against your Evertons, Crystal Palaces, Wolves, etc. Teams that don't rely on player quality to get wins, but incorporate tactics to both try and defend well and get the best out of their attacking players.

We beat Everton and ended their unbeaten run, beat newcastle easily and beat United.

Without Jack Grealish.

Thats progress.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched a bit of the Arsenal game and they were fab u lusssss.
Always thought that they had a great manager.(y)

BTW McGill was always a better player than Grealish
There was only one great player with a daft haircut and he was Dutch.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So in a season where refs now let players cut eachother in half and wave on play.... A shoulder barge is now a penalty. I'm lost with it all.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So in a season where refs now let players cut eachother in half and wave on play.... A shoulder barge is now a penalty. I'm lost with it all.
You missed the word 'gormless' before shoulder. It was a stupid challenge to make in that situation. He made no attempt to get the ball, he just stepped across the guy.

Swango1980

Visit site
So in a season where refs now let players cut eachother in half and wave on play.... A shoulder with barge is now a penalty. I'm lost with it all.
It was a penalty in my eyes, but of course the refs have previously made bizarre non decisions with much worse challenges. Saw the half time analysis (cannot bring myself to watch Palace v Brighton live), and there was quite a meaty challenge on Welbeck that went unpunished

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You missed the word 'gormless' before shoulder. It was a stupid challenge to make in that situation. He made no attempt to get the ball, he just stepped across the guy.

I agree he didn't play the ball, but I'm a fan of a good old fashioned shoulder barge to put the other player out of the game... It's something I'd never like to see even as a soft free kick in the middle of the park. Let alone in the penalty box.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree he didn't play the ball, but I'm a fan of a good old fashioned shoulder barge to put the other player out of the game... It's something I'd never like to see even as a soft free kick in the middle of the park. Let alone in the penalty box.
If you put a player out of the game in the penalty area then it is unlikely to ever end well.

D

Deleted member 1740

I was worried at the start of the season about all the changes to our team and manager but was quite impressed last night

I was impressed with Palace at Anfield, probably the best team performance wise I've seen from them and that included the infamous 3-1 win under Allardyce in 2017.

Viera has them playing some really good stuff, much better than the turgid stuff Hodgson was serving up week after week.

D

Deleted member 1740

I agree Stu, I think though that Hodgson was the right man at the right time and played us in a way that kept us in the PL for a few years .

But I'm happy now

Yeah you're probably right though.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That Palace game was enjoyable as a neutral.

Absolutely gutted at the end. We deserved so much more, but thats football sometimes. I'm delighted with PV in charge and some of our signings have been brilliant, added quality in the areas we needed it badly.
Just hope we start getting the 3pts and therefore ease the pressure that comes with being in the bottom 1/3.
Roy did a good job for us as a 'business' and long term future as a club, but at times it was painful to watch. I would have really struggled watching another season.
The buzz is back in the ground, last night was rocking......for 94 minutes....:)

D

Deleted member 1740

Absolutely gutted at the end. We deserved so much more, but thats football sometimes. I'm delighted with PV in charge and some of our signings have been brilliant, added quality in the areas we needed it badly.
Just hope we start getting the 3pts and therefore ease the pressure that comes with being in the bottom 1/3.
Roy did a good job for us as a 'business' and long term future as a club, but at times it was painful to watch. I would have really struggled watching another season.
The buzz is back in the ground, last night was rocking......for 94 minutes....:)

The last 90seconds of that game was my favourite part ?

You're right Palace where the better side and shouldve won but the chance wasted by Ayew was criminal.

Bit of luck Palace will do OK this season.