The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Saw Henderson interviewed along with Pep after the footie yesterday. On both tables were a Heineken bottle and another company bot at 90%.
Has anybody any idea, LP is usually good at this type of information how much companies pay for this privilege!
Heineken are an official sponsor of the CL so it’s no surprise they get their products up front and centre.

D

Deleted member 15344

Saw Henderson interviewed along with Pep after the footie yesterday. On both tables were a Heineken bottle and another company bot at 90%.
Has anybody any idea, LP is usually good at this type of information how much companies pay for this privilege!

Sole companies prob pay around £100mil for 3/4 years worth of sponsership - Heineken prob pay a bit more because they sponsered Euro 2020 i think

D

Deleted member 15344

Sad world that, despite a much better run in the Euros than many expected that people are of the view that it was in spite of the manager and NOT because of the manager.

The manager had a huge part in them gelling as a team - as a man manager he appears to excellent. Bit imo tactically he is lacking and that’s were the team were let down - both the runs in the WC and Euros were good runs even if the opposition wasn’t the strongest but both times it’s fair to question what would have happened if a more tactically aware manager was in charge

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The manager had a huge part in them gelling as a team - as a man manager he appears to excellent. Bit imo tactically he is lacking and that’s were the team were let down - both the runs in the WC and Euros were good runs even if the opposition wasn’t the strongest but both times it’s fair to question what would have happened if a more tactically aware manager was in charge

Perhaps he used the tactics that he felt a very young team, inexperienced at that level, could cope with ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Perhaps he used the tactics that he felt a very young team, inexperienced at that level, could cope with ?

They are international players with many of them playing in the Prem for top managers with some playing in top leagues abroad and in the CL ? If they can cope more attacking tactics in the Prem why couldn’t they cope with it in the Euros ?

And it’s also tactics including substitutions and leaving on players under performing , bringing players on with a minute to go just to take a penalty , it was head scratching and something that a top level manager wouldn’t do.

If Southgate left the England job do you think any top level club in the main leagues would look to give him a managers job ? I don’t think so

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are international players with many of them playing in the Prem for top managers with some playing in top leagues abroad and in the CL ? If they can cope more attacking tactics in the Prem why couldn’t they cope with it in the Euros ?

And it’s also tactics including substitutions and leaving on players under performing , bringing players on with a minute to go just to take a penalty , it was head scratching and something that a top level manager wouldn’t do.

If Southgate left the England job do you think any top level club in the main leagues would look to give him a managers job ? I don’t think so

Been linked with Spurs a few times :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

They were young players and having to learn to play together it's not the same as playing in the PL with players they train with day in day out . Southgate did what he thought was right, it's so easy to criticise afterwards. Look at the fancied teams with experienced managers who went out to teams that were thought incapable of beating them. I'd have taken losing in the final pre tournament, as would most of the countries footy fans. Southgate got the job and has, and is, doing his best and he and the team are still learning. I think they all will improve, including Southgate, but his record is still one of Englands best managers whatever anyone says to rubbish it

D

Deleted member 15344

They were young players and having to learn to play together it's not the same as playing in the PL with players they train with day in day out . Southgate did what he thought was right, it's so easy to criticise afterwards. Look at the fancied teams with experienced managers who went out to teams that were thought incapable of beating them. I'd have taken losing in the final pre tournament, as would most of the countries footy fans. Southgate got the job and has, and is, doing his best and he and the team are still learning. I think they all will improve, including Southgate, but his record is still one of Englands best managers whatever anyone says to rubbish it
It was Englands best chance to win a tournament, majority of the games on home soil in front of the fans , with the path being cleared in front of them - can’t use the young players excuse when the players play at the highest level and a number of them recently winning the PL and the CL. And it wasn’t just hindsight , people had the same opinion after the World Cup and during the Euros -that team was more than good enough to beat Italy , and if that is the best Southgate can do then if England want to take that next step and win tournaments then maybe they need to look at the next level of manager.

England have a talent pool that doesn’t come around often and they imo need a better manager to get the very best out of the players - Southgate imo doesn’t do that

stats wise for competitive games - Southgates record is still below a significant number of others

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/england_national_football_team/england-managers/

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Southgate had been a manager of England for 5 years, not 5 minutes. You talk of players, it’s not the same as in the Prem league. Your dead right.I have never seen one single prem team play with 7 defensive players in one team.

D

Deleted member 15344

My team have done it for their entire stay in the Pl and managed to stay in the PL as a result

Would you be happy with that if the team was full of high quality attacking players and that’s also trying to keep a team in a league over a season not trying to win a tournament

Look at the list England had

Kane , Rashford , Sancho , Saka , Foden , Grealish , Sterling , Mount - hard to see many teams having a better depth of attacking talent in the tournament

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I heard Walker got sent off and Southampton got a penalty, but then VAR reversed it. The guy on Soccer Saturday seemed to think penalty was the right decision.

Penalty was, sending off wasn't under double jeopardy rule as Walker tried to play the ball. Also a penalty for Burnley not given against Arsenal.