The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yes he did but it was dangerous and Wreckless.

I'm not saying he deliberately went to hurt Elliot, totally the opposite infact but when any player attempts tackle and is late like that its a red card.

I did until I realised you talk tripe.

Play the poster?? Isn't that the whole point of a forum to respond to posts?
It appears the even Elliot disagrees with you La ?‍♂️

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You and many more generally seem to think he'd make a better midfielder.

He played right of a Midfield 3 for England and looked like a lost child.

It's a myth he can't defend. It's lazy to suggest so. He's improved season on season defensively. Don't forget he's still only a young lad.

He's not a midfielder and never will be.

I’ve never said he can’t defend he just doesn’t defend well.
I’ve said many times he gets caught too far upfield and doesn’t get back in position enough.
You watch those clips I’m on about and tell me he’s a world class defender, the best right back according to Klopp.
He could never play in a 3 as you say but a 4 or a 5 he could.
Yes getting better, yes still young but Klopp talks so much crap he must be trying to convince himself.

D

Deleted member 15344

You and many more generally seem to think he'd make a better midfielder.

He played right of a Midfield 3 for England and looked like a lost child.

It's a myth he can't defend. It's lazy to suggest so. He's improved season on season defensively. Don't forget he's still only a young lad.

He's not a midfielder and never will be.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....right-backs-world-right-now-20210630.amp.html

There have been a lot of stats etc

AWB shaded it on defensive stats but only just from TAA - everything else TAA is streets ahead but it’s old ground

Last edited by a moderator:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cynical tackles like Cantwells is a red imo yes.
At least Struijk went for the ball .
I have watched it again several times from different angles and have changed my view it is a red card.
You were right .!
I hadn’t seen the angle from behind until last night ,but I did say it was debatable.
He’s off the floor but is he out of control as he wins the ball?
But the trailing leg did the danmage , so I think he is

We’re talking Pawson here he didn’t even give a foul.

Never a red in a million years
You could actually go on the player’s reactions.
Massive U turn there.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

To me the most intersting part of that is this quote....

"In fairness to the referee, who didn't seem to immediately whistle for a foul, he was on the opposite side of the tackle to this camera angle. He may not have seen the rotation of Struijk's body and the angle of his trailing leg as clearly."

I think this is correct and the referee was allowing play to continue. This means there are one of two reasons for the red card being shown. Either the ref has reacted to the severity of the injury, rather than the tackle itself, or he has had a word in his ear from VAR. For the ref to say that he was always going to give a red card is completely untrue.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve never said he can’t defend he just doesn’t defend well.
I’ve said many times he gets caught too far upfield and doesn’t get back in position enough.
You watch those clips I’m on about and tell me he’s a world class defender, the best right back according to Klopp.
He could never play in a 3 as you say but a 4 or a 5 he could.
Yes getting better, yes still young but Klopp talks so much crap he must be trying to convince himself.

He's a lazy poser, but a very talented one ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You know football Pete
Why does Klopp come out with such nonsense.
In his opinion maybe.
He’s not great at defending although obviously he can defend,going forward and his delivery I can’t think of anyone better.
Watch that first 5 minutes of MOTD against Chelsea
First his defending for the goal where he was zonal marking he didn’t move a muscle whilst at the back post.
And Mount just strolls past him soon after , if that’s the best in the world in Klopps eyes then so be it.

So you can't name any?

I'm sure if we look back at many top managers they've all talked crap at times.

Did Klopp call him a world class defender or a world class RB - there is a difference.

I know TAA's weaknesses - letting wingers come on the inside too easy, not great in the air, not hitting the target enough on free kicks. Sometimes ball watches.

The lad is 22.

Cafu, Alves have been mentioned by most - were these great DEFENDERS? Yes, but I would have others above them when it comes to defending. Were they great full backs, undoubtedly. At Left Back, Roberto Carlos, Alba.

Lahm probably had the best balance of the two, although Thuram was majestic.

AWB is a better defender than him, but if you asked the majority of premiership team fans who they would want to sign for their club, I think the vast majority of top and mid table teams would pick TAA.
It's what you do as as a full package, and what you do for your team that counts. Liverpool allow him the freedom to bomb on, as he gives so much to our attack, and as VVD and Gomez have been able to defend one on one well, we take that gamble. Playing for a team like Norwich or Newcastle with 25-40% possession and mainly defending, not as much.

Do you slag off AWB for hitting the first man every 2nd cross or general poor delivery?

He does a great job for us, wouldnt swap him for anyone in the prem in the same position. Can he improve defensively, God yes.

I know you currently dont have the common sense to grasp this, as you are increasing letting bias and sheer stupidity cloud your judgement nowadays, a bit different to a few years ago when I could have a sensible conversation with you for a good few years. Has us winning 2 big trophies twisted you up that much? Allied to Man U's fall from grace (although returning again by the looks of it), or are you just ok when things are going well and a fair weather supporter. The difference is noticeable.

Anyway, grasp this.

Rob Jones was a better defender than Gary Neville, absolutely.

However, Gary Neville was a better right back.

Therein lies the difference. (y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Everyone that jumps for a header is off the ground. Are they in control?

Just asking for a friend;)
So are goalkeepers .
But it’s very hard to dislocate someone’s ankle with your head.

It’s interesting though , Louis of Arsenal injured Himenez of wolves with his head ,both feet off the floor.
Was he out of control , it was a very nasty injury and could be called forceful .
If you tackle with your foot and your late it’s a foul, but very rarely given if your late and butt someone.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So are goalkeepers .
But it’s very hard to dislocate someone’s ankle with your head.

It’s interesting though , Louis of Arsenal injured Himenez of wolves with his head ,both feet off the floor.
Was he out of control , it was a very nasty injury and could be called forceful .
If you tackle with your foot and your late it’s a foul, but very rarely given if your late and butt someone.

What if you miss the header and land on someone's ankle as you come down? Both feet off the floor, no control of your landing and injures and opponent.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. To me that's an unfortunate accident but I still think that the Elliot injury was also an unfortunate accident with no intent to harm the opponent.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Fantasy football, when youre captain doesnt play because hes injured then you realise your vice captain got sent off on saturday :(
Could be worse.

Could have put Ronaldo as Captain whilst having a beer and not hit save.

So you left a player as captain giant your team (which I don't do), only for him to be sent off ??