The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Poor goalkeeping?

First Goal: Greenwood smashes the ball, then deflected just in front of goalkeeper. What does one expect, for him to hold on to the ball? Wise up, as soon as the ball was deflected, it was out of the goalkeepers control.

Second goal, Ronaldo hammers it from close range and goes under keepers legs. What do you expect, for him to close his legs in time? Wise up.

Both goals were quality attacking play, brilliant and intelligent movement. Something Utd have lacked for so long, except when Cavani came in last season. But Ronaldo has clearly proven he is beyond that level. I've been watching the game for 30 years, and Ronaldo's return on Saturday was, for me, the most exciting moment I've experienced (and I've only watched it on TV, can't imagine what it would be like in the ground). I've watched the goals over and over, and will continue to do so, and the hairs stand up in the back of my neck every time.

United fans will enjoy this for some time. But, Liverpool should get similar joy every time they see Henderson play, and the fact he signed a new contract :)

The keeper should be doing better for both goals, that's not denying the build up to both goals were very good. That's not been mentioned at all.

Since I posted it Mark Bosnich agreed with me, keeper shouldve done better?‍♂️

I think a lot of rival fans have a bit of a crush on Henderson, it seems the default position to take?

D

Deleted member 15344

Agreed, not a foul to me. Although given it is subjective by the ref, and they often like to award fouls as soon as there is any contact, then even if a foul was awarded probably not a yellow card foul. Certainly wouldn't have been had Elliot not unfortunately received his terrible injury. The ref didn't even award a foul, he was absolutely fine with the challenge, so he certainly was not going to award a red card for what he thought was a fair challenge. He only stopped play when the seriousness of the injury became apparent. If the red card was HIS decision, then he was only guessing on the recklessness of the challenge. If it was not his decision, then VAR had to be sure he made a serious error.

it’s got to be a foul - he was off the ground with both feet and he ended up seriously injuring a player and was from behind - I think a red card was harsh but listening to the ref explain the rules and the rule with endangering an opponent then it’s hard to see a red card not being given.

D

Deleted member 1740

Aww come on, you wouldn’t have it any other way. ?

I didn't think it would be this bad. Luckily there's CL football on this week, sky never acknowledge the CL exists since they lost the rights so we might not hear about the young boys game.....

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ivanovic was a beast while at Chelsea but feel he was a RB/ CB hybrid type player. Azpilicueta the same! Both top players who have won it all.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who have generally been lauded as the best right backs in the world over the last 20 years - go on, try without google.

You know football Pete
Why does Klopp come out with such nonsense.
In his opinion maybe.
He’s not great at defending although obviously he can defend,going forward and his delivery I can’t think of anyone better.
Watch that first 5 minutes of MOTD against Chelsea
First his defending for the goal where he was zonal marking he didn’t move a muscle whilst at the back post.
And Mount just strolls past him soon after , if that’s the best in the world in Klopps eyes then so be it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly (I have now used google) Dani Alves made the World XI 9 times from 2009-2018! Thats seriously impressive!
In fairness he played for a team whose only method of defending was to keep the ball for 80% of the game. In any other side he'd have been a right winger.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Both feet off the floor, not in control

Are you struggling to understand the concept of this forum and discussions?

Let me get this straight, you're saying Cantwell's tackle was a red and Jota was lucky but Struijks tackle was fair and Elliot was unlucky?

Struijk had 2 feet off the ground when he made that tackle, he may have won the ball but it was reckless and dangerous according to the laws of the game.

Yeah I do like tactical fouls, it's part and parcel of the game but its upto the refs to get a grip of it.
Cynical tackles like Cantwells is a red imo yes.
At least Struijk went for the ball .
I have watched it again several times from different angles and have changed my view it is a red card.
You were right .!
I hadn’t seen the angle from behind until last night ,but I did say it was debatable.
He’s off the floor but is he out of control as he wins the ball?
But the trailing leg did the danmage , so I think he is

We’re talking Pawson here he didn’t even give a foul.

D

Deleted member 1740

Who said that? me I presume
Right midfield yes not central
Playing him central would make Henderson look world class.
Henderson wouldn’t get in my top million

You and many more generally seem to think he'd make a better midfielder.

He played right of a Midfield 3 for England and looked like a lost child.

It's a myth he can't defend. It's lazy to suggest so. He's improved season on season defensively. Don't forget he's still only a young lad.

He's not a midfielder and never will be.