The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

Are we still talking about the tackle today by the Leeds player? He wasn't late, he won the ball and to me it looked like it was his follow through with his other leg that did the damage. I think it will get rescinded and that the ref only sent the player off because of the injury not because of the tackle. He was letting play go on until he saw Salah's reaction so obviously didn't think it was that bad.

Yeah. It was a bad tackle regardless. I'm all for good strong tackling but that isn't acceptable. From my team aswell.

It was that bad sky haven't shown it again.

PS. I only watched it on twitter?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yeah. It was a bad tackle regardless. I'm all for good strong tackling but that isn't acceptable. From my team aswell.

It was that bad sky haven't shown it again.

PS. I only watched it on twitter?

Sky showed it again and stopped it before showing the ankle being dislocated - the player got the ball clean. From that replay it certainly didn’t look at red card tackle

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I said Bielsa last week is nieve going all out attack every week without any defensive nouse.
Will score goals but will also get battered.

Is that nouse, or nouses?

Nice to see the 4 season wonder get to 100 premiership goals quicker than all but 6-7 others. Hope Elliott recovers quickly.

I was starting to think that Mane had 20K on 2-0 at one point.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I said Bielsa last week is nieve going all out attack every week without any defensive nouse.
Will score goals but will also get battered.

But it isn't games against Liverpool, Chelsea, City, United etc that will define their season. It's the games against the bottom clubs and the other clubs in the expected 8th to 14th positions that will do that. Why not give it a go against the big boys? It worked for them last year when they held Liverpool to a 1-1 draw. As a neutral I'd far rather see Leeds giving it a go every week than West Brom, Burnley or Fulham sitting back on the edge of their own penalty area, waiting to be beaten and hoping that it's only 1-0 or 2-0 rather than a real pasting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes he did but it was dangerous and Wreckless.

I'm not saying he deliberately went to hurt Elliot, totally the opposite infact but when any player attempts tackle and is late like that its a red card.

I did until I realised you talk tripe.

Play the poster?? Isn't that the whole point of a forum to respond to posts?
Yes it is but it’s boring when you think you are right every time.
And if it dosnt agree with you it’s tripe.
It’s opinion based .
And the tackle by Cantwell you mentioned the ball was nowhere near and he delibaretly played the man.( Jotta)
He was just lucky he didn’t hurt him.
That’s a red imo.
But you like that sort of thing I remember.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are we still talking about the tackle today by the Leeds player? He wasn't late, he won the ball and to me it looked like it was his follow through with his other leg that did the damage. I think it will get rescinded and that the ref only sent the player off because of the injury not because of the tackle. He was letting play go on until he saw Salah's reaction so obviously didn't think it was that bad.
Spot on but it was a foul.
Red is debatable but he played on when he had a perfect view of the tackle but then sent him off.
I would like to hear his explanation of that.
But we won’t.

D

Deleted member 1740

Both feet off the floor, not in control
Yes it is but it’s boring when you think you are right every time.
And if it dosnt agree with you it’s tripe.
It’s opinion based .
And the tackle by Cantwell you mentioned the ball was nowhere near and he delibaretly played the man.( Jotta)
He was just lucky he didn’t hurt him.
That’s a red imo.
But you like that sort of thing I remember.!

Are you struggling to understand the concept of this forum and discussions?

Let me get this straight, you're saying Cantwell's tackle was a red and Jota was lucky but Struijks tackle was fair and Elliot was unlucky?

Struijk had 2 feet off the ground when he made that tackle, he may have won the ball but it was reckless and dangerous according to the laws of the game.

Yeah I do like tactical fouls, it's part and parcel of the game but its upto the refs to get a grip of it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Is that just a myth then.?
Have heard it a lot.
Definitely a myth most of the time though it depends on the dislocation. A dislocation is often accompanied by smaller fractures called avulsion fractures where the ligaments or tendons are put under so much force they can pull chunks of bone off with them, and dislocations are a prime cause of these especially where you can see such a large dislocation is happened to Elliott - the way his foot was pointing the wrong direction is a bad sign. But on average I’d much rather have a relocatable dislocation than an actual break on a bone which is by and large less predictable.

Swango1980

Visit site
Sky really are milking Ronaldo's return, it's so nauseating.

There's been no mention of poor goalkeeping for both his goals either.
Poor goalkeeping?

First Goal: Greenwood smashes the ball, then deflected just in front of goalkeeper. What does one expect, for him to hold on to the ball? Wise up, as soon as the ball was deflected, it was out of the goalkeepers control.

Second goal, Ronaldo hammers it from close range and goes under keepers legs. What do you expect, for him to close his legs in time? Wise up.

Both goals were quality attacking play, brilliant and intelligent movement. Something Utd have lacked for so long, except when Cavani came in last season. But Ronaldo has clearly proven he is beyond that level. I've been watching the game for 30 years, and Ronaldo's return on Saturday was, for me, the most exciting moment I've experienced (and I've only watched it on TV, can't imagine what it would be like in the ground). I've watched the goals over and over, and will continue to do so, and the hairs stand up in the back of my neck every time.

United fans will enjoy this for some time. But, Liverpool should get similar joy every time they see Henderson play, and the fact he signed a new contract :)

D

Deleted member 15344

TBF, I dont want to see sliding tackles banned from the game.

It was unfortunate incident and in no way would I blame the Leeds lad. Just one of them things, sadly.

I agree mate

It’s an unfortunate incident that Imo was a yellow card at most but it was a foul imo

Swango1980

Visit site
I agree mate

It’s an unfortunate incident that Imo was a yellow card at most but it was a foul imo
Agreed, not a foul to me. Although given it is subjective by the ref, and they often like to award fouls as soon as there is any contact, then even if a foul was awarded probably not a yellow card foul. Certainly wouldn't have been had Elliot not unfortunately received his terrible injury. The ref didn't even award a foul, he was absolutely fine with the challenge, so he certainly was not going to award a red card for what he thought was a fair challenge. He only stopped play when the seriousness of the injury became apparent. If the red card was HIS decision, then he was only guessing on the recklessness of the challenge. If it was not his decision, then VAR had to be sure he made a serious error.