The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You say that, but it's Sterling who has that role in the England team, and he's scored 2 goals. ?‍♂️

Playing Germany will be a different kettle of fish to the group games. I suspect Gareth will set us up to counter attack, maybe with the back 5 and wing backs to counter-act their wing backs, and that may suit Kane if it means we get the ball into him more directly, and he can play in someone like Sterling or Foden who should be running beyond him.
After just 5 mins Tuesday he was in our half actually behind the CBS??
I just don’t understand why a world class striker has to come back in his own half when we have the ball?
He’s the target man but only needs to drop to the edge of the box to create space.
That’s where he was for Sterling’s goal as he played the ball to Grealish.
Kane is a quality striker but he’s off form imo, but that can all change with one goal.
But we all know Gareth only plays on form players;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm basically convinced that Henderson will start, he's just had 45 minutes plus we have a week until the game. My prediction would be the team you've said, but Henderson in for Phillips, probably Shaw on the left instead of Saka. I'm not sure whether he'll start Grealish, Saka or Foden to be honest, it'll be one of the three. Or he could potentially bring in Mount and play it with Kane & Sterling as a front two - but I'm not sure about Mount coming in when he hasn't trained with the team this week.

Mount if he's allowed in Phillips role but your right I think he is setting up for Henderson

Saka would be brilliant in the left wing back roll as he wouldn't have to defend often but would add to the attack

He has to play grealish it's what we need to create ..

You say mount hasn't trained but this is Gareth who will bring half fit players anyways lol so I'm sure it's fine

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
After just 5 mins Tuesday he was in our half actually behind the CBS??
I just don’t understand why a world class striker has to come back in his own half when we have the ball?
He’s the target man but only needs to drop to the edge of the box to create space.
That’s where he was for Sterling’s goal as he played the ball to Grealish.
Kane is a quality striker but he’s off form imo, but that can all change with one goal.
But we all know Gareth only plays on form players;)
It's just his game. He's not a targetman, he's a complete forward. Or I like to call him (only slightly tongue in cheek) a box-to-box forward. The same as Rooney used to play that way. Asking why he drops deep is like asking Alexander-Arnold doesn't just sit at right back and defend, or why didn't Makelele get involved in the attacking play - it's just their natural instincts of how they play.

D

Deleted member 16999

If we go on form after 3 games, the only consistent player is Pickford:sick:

Nobody in that squad is anywhere near as good as Kane.

Once again the media are over-reacting, there is not a snowball’s chance in hell Southgate will start experimenting and trying different formations in what could be “our Final”

I don’t expect anymore than 1 or 2 changes from the team that started against the Czech’s barring any injuries.

Take comfort in the fact we won the group playing rubbish and regardless of how we play, we have no idea which German Team will turn up, the one from the Portugal game or the one from the other 2.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's just his game. He's not a targetman, he's a complete forward. Or I like to call him (only slightly tongue in cheek) a box-to-box forward. The same as Rooney used to play that way. Asking why he drops deep is like asking Alexander-Arnold doesn't just sit at right back and defend, or why didn't Makelele get involved in the attacking play - it's just their natural instincts of how they play.
Yes I get that but with two holding Cm there isn’t room for him to drop into without getting in the way. Imo.
He is one of the best finishers we have ever had but he’s not going to score standing next to Stones and Maguire.
We need him to link the play on the edge of the box where the damage is done .
I am sure he will come good ( hope so any way.) as we need his goals

Just on TAA that’s why his defensive record is used against him ,his stats aren’t as good as others because he dosnt have to defend much as he is covered by the CBs.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have a goalscorer then feed him. We have a world class goalscorer and to not utilise him is criminal.

Had one, I'd argue.

No amount of feeding him is going to work if he's not even in the oppo's half. He's a poacher, theres nothing wrong with that, but a poacher that's nowhere near the goal is a wasted place in the team. He's not in form, looks tired, and the team isn't giving him the service. Straightforward decision to me. He shouldn't be in the starting eleven, he'd be better on the bench and saved for 10 to 20 minutes of heroics if needed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had one, I'd argue.

No amount of feeding him is going to work if he's not even in the oppo's half. He's a poacher, theres nothing wrong with that, but a poacher that's nowhere near the goal is a wasted place in the team. He's not in form, looks tired, and the team isn't giving him the service. Straightforward decision to me. He shouldn't be in the starting eleven, he'd be better on the bench and saved for 10 to 20 minutes of heroics if needed.
Kane has never been a poacher, that's someone like Van Nistelrooy or Inzaghi who never leaves the box. He's the exact opposite of a poacher if anything. :rolleyes:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Kane has never been a poacher, that's someone like Van Nistelrooy or Inzaghi who never leaves the box. He's the exact opposite of a poacher if anything. :rolleyes:
Van Nistelrooy was WAY more than a poacher. Yes most of his goals came in the box but he was very modern in the way he pressed from the front, always hassling and harrying defenders across their back line. We got so many goals from him causing poor distribution that ended up in our midfield.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Sure I read a stat somewhere that Kane's scoring was something like 85% inside the box.
Not sure how true or accurate that is (and don't think it counted penalties).

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sure I read a stat somewhere that Kane's scoring was something like 85% inside the box.

Ive heard a similar stat before. Not sure I'd categorise Kane as a poacher, but he is lethal in the box.

Poachers for me do most of their work in the 6 yard box.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Even if that is true wasn't ruuds van nists goals 99.9% inside the box but you would still want him in your team

I can't believe Kane is still questioned when since 14/15 he has averaged 23 league goals a season.

Only 2 seasons since then he has been under 20 (17 and 18)

Even gas a 30 Nd a 29 in there

That's some goal scoring record

He's 28 this year .. so only just entering his prime

He defo hasn't lost it like some claim

D

Deleted member 1418

I hope I'm very wrong, but Kane at the moment appears to be mirroring Alan Shearer's latter club and England career. Top or near the top of the domestic goal scoring charts every year, but started to get found out internationally by the very best defenders/top nations defences.

His record is currently way better than Shearer's on the international stage and perhaps it's the case he needs a bad goal - the old 'one off his arse' - to get him going again, but at the moment he looks a bit off the pace. Rudiger will be all over him.

But the same could be said of most of the England side at the moment IMO. To be honest can't see this England side getting past Ze Germans.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ive heard a similar stat before. Not sure I'd categorise Kane as a poacher, but he is lethal in the box.

Poachers for me do most of their work in the 6 yard box.

Suppose it all depends on what you classify as a poacher.
When I played a poacher was anyone that spent most of the time in the box waiting for an opportunity. And in a few of the teams I played for there were a few.

As far as Kane goes, I have no skin in the game and couldn't care less about having him in my team, it was more just to the comment about opposite of a poacher but recalling a stat that indicates quite a poacher instinct (by the definition that I know).

As I say, whether the stat is correct or not remains to be seen.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had one, I'd argue.

I agree with a chunk of this. He needs to get back up top, it's where he scores his goals. It's something ancelotti kept telling DCL and it stands for kane as well.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Suppose it all depends on what you classify as a poacher.
When I played a poacher was anyone that spent most of the time in the box waiting for an opportunity. And in a few of the teams I played for there were a few.

As far as Kane goes, I have no skin in the game and couldn't care less about having him in my team, it was more just to the comment about opposite of a poacher but recalling a stat that indicates quite a poacher instinct (by the definition that I know).

As I say, whether the stat is correct or not remains to be seen.

I dont think you're wrong!

An article from 2020 - https://www.newsbytesapp.com/news/sports/harry-kane-goes-past-200-club-career-goals/story

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think thats possibly the stat I saw, would be about that time frame.

Personally, I am in the camp that I don't give a rats arse how a goal is scored as its seldom anyone remembers any outside of screamers or "wonder goals" (hate that term).

Having played at a decent level in the past, I'm not ashamed to say that of the 50 odd goals I scored across the years, many were off my shin, my back, my knees and a few times, as Pieman says, off my arse. They go in, it's a goal.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think thats possibly the stat I saw, would be about that time frame.

Personally, I am in the camp that I don't give a rats arse how a goal is scored as its seldom anyone remembers any outside of screamers or "wonder goals" (hate that term).

Having played at a decent level in the past, I'm not ashamed to say that of the 50 odd goals I scored across the years, many were off my shin, my back, my knees and a few times, as Pieman says, off my arse. They go in, it's a goal.

Im with you there too. Goals a goal, dont care how it goes in.

Takes skill to be at the right place at the right time, does not matter which body part it comes off!

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
So anyway, back to matters in hand.
Can England beat Germany?
I'm flip flopping on an hourly basis ?

Having watched Germany struggle to contain an enthusiastic but technically inferior Hungary, I think if you don't beat them something is definitely wrong.

They played well against a Portugal that, in that game, seemed to lack cohesion that was also evident in 80 minutes of Portugal's play against Hungary on Matchday 1.