The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Cant help but wonder where United would be without Ronaldo this season. Signing of the season without a doubt so far (I know that seems obvious but Lukaku was a big move too)
For all the people laughing about us signing a 36 year old, he hasn't done too badly so far. I believe he is more effective than Harry Kane (not sure what Ronaldo cannot do that Kane can), but had we signed Kane it would probably been seen as an amazing signing. Sure, it is shorter term solution, but I can only imagine the lift he gives the other players, let alone what he provides himself.

However, I can't imagine the players are getting much direction or instruction from the management. So, if they keep setting up to get absolutely annihilated on the counter attack (by pretty much any team), and continue to drop points, I can see moral falling rapidly. It'll be interesting to see how they play against the biggest teams. They'll have to play much more defensively, and so will they be able to use that to their advantage and counter themselves?

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure how Lingard isnt getting a start! All I seem to keep reading is of him playing well! Super sub tactic? The new Ole?
He could certainly play the odd game instead of Pogba, or even Bruno. At least give them a rest, but it keeps them on their toes. Sometimes it feels like certain players get too comfortable, as they know they'll play every game. I'm sure they get mental fatigue as well. I wasn't Lingard greatest fan a few years ago, but to be fair to him, he has shown a lot of drive and quality lately. It'll be interesting when Rashford gets back as well, even more selection headaches.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For all the people laughing about us signing a 36 year old, he hasn't done too badly so far. I believe he is more effective than Harry Kane (not sure what Ronaldo cannot do that Kane can), but had we signed Kane it would probably been seen as an amazing signing. Sure, it is shorter term solution, but I can only imagine the lift he gives the other players, let alone what he provides himself.

However, I can't imagine the players are getting much direction or instruction from the management. So, if they keep setting up to get absolutely annihilated on the counter attack (by pretty much any team), and continue to drop points, I can see moral falling rapidly. It'll be interesting to see how they play against the biggest teams. They'll have to play much more defensively, and so will they be able to use that to their advantage and counter themselves?

It’s taken me a long while, but at long last I have also come to realise that, regardless of league position last season, Solskjaer is out of his depth.

Lovely guy, sure. Club legend, undoubtedly. But you only have to listen to his post match interviews, which are anything but insightful, and see the lack of cohesion on the pitch, to realise that he is not the right man for the job.

Can you imagine what Klopp, Pep or a host of other managers would be able to achieve with the squad of players United now has?

D

Deleted member 15344

surely he's interfering with play

Only if the shot went along the ground and hit the player on the ground. If Lingard was stood up etc then it would be interfering

It’s taken me a long while, but at long last I have also come to realise that, regardless of league position last season, Solskjaer is out of his depth.

Lovely guy, sure. Club legend, undoubtedly. But you only have to listen to his post match interviews, which are anything but insightful, and see the lack of cohesion on the pitch, to realise that he is not the right man for the job.

Can you imagine what Klopp, Pep or a host of other managers would be able to achieve with the squad of players United now has?

He is very much out of his depth - even in the press conferences afterwards as well

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Only if the shot went along the ground and hit the player on the ground. If Lingard was stood up etc then it would be interfering

He is very much out of his depth - even in the press conferences afterwards as well

It’s when he speaks that I have my biggest doubts, Phil. He has never inspired me to think that he genuinely is on top of things. He’s very eloquent, but what he actually says just comes over as superficial.

The difference between what he says, and the observations of other top managers, is vast. That said, he learned from the master of saying lots without actually saying anything in Ferguson.

Time will tell but I’m now very unconvinced.

Swango1980

Visit site
It’s when he speaks that I have my biggest doubts, Phil. He has never inspired me to think that he genuinely is on top of things. He’s very eloquent, but what he actually says just comes over as superficial.

The difference between what he says, and the observations of other top managers, is vast. That said, he learned from the master of saying lots without actually saying anything in Ferguson.

Time will tell but I’m now very unconvinced.
How often do you see Klopp or Pep on the touchline, constantly instructing players what they should be doing. Not just them, by many many managers. They can see what is working, they can see what is not working, and these managers can issue instructions to quickly fix things. They can change tactics as well depending on the opposition. Sure, it may not always work, but it often does. And the players have 100% faith in the manager and the gameplan.

Solskjaer is the only manager that I can think off that sits quietly on the bench for virtually the entire game. On the rare occasions he does come to touchline, it is to clap his hands and shout things like "come on guys". I can't imagine the players pay too much attention to him. The only positive is that he doesn't hurt their feelings by being critical, so there is less fall out within the squad. However, with a good manager, you can be as critical as you like, when the players have a deep respect for the manager. And when they get good results consistently.

Last night, some may compliment the subs he made. However, we all know that Utd have individual quality on the pitch and on the bench. So, if Utd do score, there is always a fair chance a sub will be involved. However, I'm not quite sure what his gameplan is when he made those changes, they almost seemed a bit random or contradictory. In the 75th minute he brought on Cavani (for Pogba) so a fair assumption would be to add to the attack, Yet, at the exact same time he brought Matic on for Sancho. In 89th minute he then brought Lingard on for Greenwood, but also in 89th minute brought on Fred. Sure, both Fred and Lingard involved in goal, as was Cavani, but his double subs seemed to cancel each other out generally in terms of what they bring to the game. Even if the 89th minute subs could be called inspired, the fact he waited until the 89th minute would bring that into question.

And, regarding his post match interviews, you are right. I have zero interest in listening to what he has to say. It is like he has 3 pre-prepared speeches depending on the result, one for an easy win (rare), one for a lucky win (fairly regular) and one for a poor defeat (far too often). They are all pretty much the same with a few minor differences, but none offer any real criticism of insight as to what they will work towards.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

It really will. You back 4 on paper is very strong, they just dont seem to be clicking as a full unit yet, I fear for you a bit if you play Chelsea, Liverpool or City any time soon. If villa/ Young boys/ West ham can put the defenders on the back foot - a better club will have a field day.

I think the main issue comes from the lack of a true class CDM - Phillips could be the solution for you. And, as you suggest - Ole is not the man for a top 6 club.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
He could certainly play the odd game instead of Pogba, or even Bruno. At least give them a rest, but it keeps them on their toes. Sometimes it feels like certain players get too comfortable, as they know they'll play every game. I'm sure they get mental fatigue as well. I wasn't Lingard greatest fan a few years ago, but to be fair to him, he has shown a lot of drive and quality lately. It'll be interesting when Rashford gets back as well, even more selection headaches.

Agree with pretty much all of what you said. Lingards been a waste of space on the wage bill at united for a couple of years - but this year something seems to have clicked in him - great to see.

Selection headaches are a good problem to have. Just need the right man having the headache :ROFLMAO:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cant help but wonder where United would be without Ronaldo this season. Signing of the season without a doubt so far (I know that seems obvious but Lukaku was a big move too)

I don’t think you have to wander it’s blatantly obvious,in deep poo.
Lukaku was a big move but he missed an absolute sitter last night and hasn’t been mentioned.

The trouble with us atm is we have too many that just want to get forward,on the break we are extremely vulnerable.
Last night we could and should have been buried by half time.
I won’t say a bad word about Ole as 99% of supporters won’t but I’m also starting to question what are the players instructions.
We are so vulnerable through the middle and although Telles scored a worldie him and Dalot are just not good enough replacements,Dalot last night was destroyed.
Hopefully Ole has learnt more about his team and can sort the problem.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with pretty much all of what you said. Lingards been a waste of space on the wage bill at united for a couple of years - but this year something seems to have clicked in him - great to see.

Selection headaches are a good problem to have. Just need the right man having the headache :ROFLMAO:

I’ve always seen good in Lingard his work rate is phenomenal I just think when Ole came in he wasn’t doing the business.
I can’t remember the game but I remember Ole going mental at him during a game and the damage was done.
I think the loan spell to WH has done him the world of good.

Swango1980

Visit site
It really will. You back 4 on paper is very strong, they just dont seem to be clicking as a full unit yet, I fear for you a bit if you play Chelsea, Liverpool or City any time soon. If villa/ Young boys/ West ham can put the defenders on the back foot - a better club will have a field day.

I think the main issue comes from the lack of a true class CDM - Phillips could be the solution for you. And, as you suggest - Ole is not the man for a top 6 club.
The only potential positive playing the big teams is that, under Ole, my perception is we've looked better against them than the weaker teams. Against the weaker teams, the entire team seem to want to attach, run into walls, and then get battered when the opposition counter. Against the good teams, we play much deeper knowing they could destroy us if we give them space. That allows us to hit them on the counter, and suddenly our attack thrive on running into the space and attacking quickly. So, it is a weird one. Whether Utd play Burnley or Man City, I feel either could just as easily beat us. But, against City, I can imagine we could get more clear cut chances.

Basically, going into any game, I've no idea what to expect. The problem is, neither do the players or management. It is all very much hope for the best, hopefully Ronaldo / Bruno will do the business

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The only potential positive playing the big teams is that, under Ole, my perception is we've looked better against them than the weaker teams. Against the weaker teams, the entire team seem to want to attach, run into walls, and then get battered when the opposition counter. Against the good teams, we play much deeper knowing they could destroy us if we give them space. That allows us to hit them on the counter, and suddenly our attack thrive on running into the space and attacking quickly. So, it is a weird one. Whether Utd play Burnley or Man City, I feel either could just as easily beat us. But, against City, I can imagine we could get more clear cut chances.

Basically, going into any game, I've no idea what to expect. The problem is, neither do the players or management. It is all very much hope for the best, hopefully Ronaldo / Bruno will do the business

Identity is key. And you do lack a consistent approach these days. Under Fergie that just never happened.

Im no united fan, but I expect more from you. United always used to swarm you off the ball and destroy you when they had it. Home or Away. Quite like the current liverpool side maybe if I look for a modern day example. (United fans may hate that comparison :ROFLMAO:)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is pretty clear. Unless you play Matic, who I think most would say is a bit past it, there's no balance in the side. Trying to play Pogba in a two man midfield as it is, with someone like Fred or McTominay who are both box-to-box. There's no real structure.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not from that picture - doesn’t seem to be interfering with the eyeline of the keeper ?‍♂️

Very similar situation to the one vs Everton the other year - technically not in the goalies vision, but is in line.

Both scenarios went United's way - how mad is that?

Ooh, if only someone went back and checked the comments out for that. :D