The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Eh?

He saw it live. Gave it. Saw a replay. Still gave it. Did you want him to look at 36 replays and then give it? I thought we were all about quicken the play.

He didn’t watch the replay until the point where DCL tripped over TAA. Surely if he’s been asked to review the decision he needs to at least watch incident

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does this work when you can’t be offside in your own half?
Example. Ball lumped forward by Allison towards half way line. At time of pass, Salah is a couple of yards in Everton half, standing offside but not interfering. Ball gets held up in wind and lands a few yards shy of the half way line. Salah, seeing this, sprints to challenge and thus becomes active. The free kick is taken where he interferes not where he was originally seen to be ‘offside’.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Example. Ball lumped forward by Allison towards half way line. At time of pass, Salah is a couple of yards in Everton half, standing offside but not interfering. Ball gets held up in wind and lands a few yards shy of the half way line. Salah, seeing this, sprints to challenge and thus becomes active. The free kick is taken where he interferes not where he was originally seen to be ‘offside’.

Yeah that makes sense. I don’t remember seeing the incident which was actually highlighted, but thought the free kick was taken from just inside the Everton half so just assumed it was a very close traditional offside.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sure but Salahs my favourite. Artistic impression is second to none.

He has prob learned from the greats in the past - it will be nice to see someone reach the King Drogba levels on a single player levels but didn’t Arsenal have a couple of seasons where they had the most players booked for diving ??

Pin-seeker

Visit site
He has prob learned from the greats in the past - it will be nice to see someone reach the King Drogba levels on a single player levels but didn’t Arsenal have a couple of seasons where they had the most players booked for diving ??
Blimey we was discussing a player diving in a match today,not 10 years ago ?‍♂️?

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well isn't this turning into an embarrassing title defence from the best team the world has ever seen? The whole league is smelling blood, you know you're in trouble when Everton turn you over, could not beat the under 18's last year.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My lad called it quite well.The 2 previous times Sterling was shown the byline, his weaker foot. Both times he had it took off him. This time he does his massively exaggerated step over, cuts in and as soon as there’s contact he is going down.
Re Liverpool something has to change. Is the lad from Preston fit to play. If he drops in does Henderson or Fab drop in the middle. ? my worry for Liverpool is they are getting to the business end of the season and champs league and they can ill afford to have any injuries to Henderson or fab playing every game.

My post from 8th Feb re injuries to Fab and Henderson.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The free kick takes place where the offside player first actively interferes with play. Sometimes this means the freekick is in the other half. ?
You can’t be offside in your own half????
The Lino let’s play go on but if he then puts the flag up for offside it goes back to where the original offside was.
As you can’t be offside in your own half how can they take the kick from Liverpool’s half?

If they had scored from the free kick would it stand or would VAR pull them up for taking the kick from the wrong place?

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You can’t be offside in your own half????

I thought this as well but having looked at the law the player is offside in the opposition half but the offence doesn't take place until he becomes active in his own half.

"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play."

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah that makes sense. I don’t remember seeing the incident which was actually highlighted, but thought the free kick was taken from just inside the Everton half so just assumed it was a very close traditional offside.
He wasn’t though he was 15 yds inside the Everton half that’s why he was offside.
Everton player picks the ball up spins it into Liverpool’s half then takes the kick.
So not only in the wrong place but in the wrong half of the pitch.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought this as well but having looked at the law the player is offside in the opposition half but the offence doesn't take place until he becomes active in his own half.

"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play."

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside
Look at what the Everton player does just before he takes the kick.
The ball is on the ground in Everton’s half.
The ball is on the ground he picks it up and back spins it into Liverpool’s half then takes the kick.
Didn’t make any difference to us.
The offside rule is as bad as the handball rule now been tweaked to suit VAR.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shocking? Hang on. The refs at the moment can’t win. I like to commend the ref for sticking to his decision and doing it quickly. The stuff I’ve seen recently given for pens far exceeds that incident.

So if the VAR ref says you better have another look, you think you should only watch it once from one angle (the worst angle).

Ok if the first angle shows the attacker getting cleaned out, but when the initial contact is kneeing the defender in the head, how can he give that?

I'll be honest in real time and before any replays I thought it was going to be a pen, but after seeing it in all other angles, as well as the first it was never a pen.

One look once when your asked to review?

Poor from one of the 4 greater Manchester based referees. ;)

Good performance by the blues, though. Welcome back Tiger man, its been so long.(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

So hypothetically if a ball is played forward and striker is offside but the wind blows it back and said striker catches the ball on the edge of his own penalty area.
A free kick is given for offside on the edge of his own area.
Who thinks these laws up.