The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, because the 2 games are unrelated and being the Ref it is easy to miss some incidents.

I have agreed you should of had 1 definite penalty sunday and possibly 1 other.

Although I have read that Stan Collymore believes all 3 were not pens on sunday.
When you get to look at them replayed on a monitor as many times as you like?!?!?! (Which he did for both games)

Really, you still think it's easy to miss some incidents???

And yes, I'd seen Collymore on Twitter saying he thought all three weren't pens. I've seen literally no other neutral fan or pundit say the same. But the point I was making in my earlier comment today wasn't about those penalties per se, as much as the shocking inconsistency from Atwell on what he sees as a foul or not. I've heard many sources say over the past few days how highly regarded he is, how he's beyond question, how he'll be involved in the Euros because he's so good etc etc. Yet he cannot be consistent across two games a few days apart in how he sees a foul. I mean, if he's up there with the best.....sheesh!

PaulMdj

Visit site
When you get to look at them replayed on a monitor as many times as you like?!?!?! (Which he did for both games)

Really, you still think it's easy to miss some incidents???

And yes, I'd seen Collymore on Twitter saying he thought all three weren't pens. I've seen literally no other neutral fan or pundit say the same. But the point I was making in my earlier comment today wasn't about those penalties per se, as much as the shocking inconsistency from Atwell on what he sees as a foul or not. I've heard many sources say over the past few days how highly regarded he is, how he's beyond question, how he'll be involved in the Euros because he's so good etc etc. Yet he cannot be consistent across two games a few days apart in how he sees a foul. I mean, if he's up there with the best.....sheesh!
The reason he’s being talked about today is because he missed an incident! Refs only get to see one angle in real time, ie VAR spotted something and asked him to take a look. Isn’t that a good thing?

Look at the pressure he’s been put under for 3 days, whether he’s a cheat, his integrity etc.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
😬 Only mentioned as someone (A Forest fan) had said he’d not seen or heard 1 person back up the Refs from sunday and with Stan being ex-Forest, I thought I’d mention it.😇
In fairness pal - he's basically blocked all forest fans on twitter - even those who have no interactions with him (I'm blocked and never once replied to or retweeted one of his posts). Such a fragile minded bloke. He knows most of us don't like him much because he's a woman beating strap-on. Shame as he's the best player I've ever seen in a Forest shirt.

My point being... his "pro-forest" opinions are few and far between

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had a look at the remaining fixtures. You play Sheff United and Burnley, both away. Huge, huge matches but surely you fancy those. The other two are tough but if you win those 2, surely you are safe?
I see you are unfamiliar with Forest's game. 🤓

we never EVER win at Bramhall Lane, regardless of the league we're in....and our away form in general is about as impressive as Attwell's refereeing performances (;))

It would be the most forest thing to for us to Beat City on Sunday by some miracle to give us hope, lose to Chelsea and Sheffield United and then be sent down in the dying minutes on the final day of the season when some absolute rando for Burnley heads an 88th minute winner from a set piece.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The reason he’s being talked about today is because he missed an incident! Refs only get to see one angle in real time, ie VAR spotted something and asked him to take a look.

Yeah.....and he looked at it back on a monitor, gave a foul for the softest and most inocuous of touches by the attacking player and disallowed the goal as a result. Completely the opposite of how he viewed similar incidents on Sunday.

His inconsistency is the issue I have. I don't have an issue with him not seeing it in real time, it wasn't a foul.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Yeah.....and he looked at it back on a monitor, gave a foul for the softest and most inocuous of touches by the attacking player and disallowed the goal as a result. Completely the opposite of how he viewed similar incidents on Sunday.

His inconsistency is the issue I have. I don't have an issue with him not seeing it in real time, it wasn't a foul.
Was he not criticised for being wrong on Sunday by some? For those that thought he was wrong, would you just be happier if he was consistenly wrong every match?

PaulMdj

Visit site

So Attwell missed it, VAR reviewed it and obviously thought it was a foul, otherwise the goal would of stood.

They ask/send Attwell to the monitor to review it.

Here’s the issue, 1 of those people definitely decided it was a foul, so even if Attwell disagreed and allowed the goal to stand, it still meant 1 person thought it was a foul, however, Attwell agreed and the goal was disallowed.

Lots of opinions on what constitutes a foul, the difference with sunday (imo) was the reaction of the player, your guy threw himself to the ground whilst the Wolves player carried on.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was he not criticised for being wrong on Sunday by some? For those that thought he was wrong, would you just be happier if he was consistenly wrong every match?

We're all continually told stuff like this is subjective. Two referees can view the same incident and come to different conclusions - I get that. It's the reason you can never get true consistency across all games for the whole season.

What we should demand/expect at the very least at this level - the BEST league in the world (allegedly) - is that individual referees themselves are consistent. So after Sunday when Atwell decided there was nothing wrong in any of the three incidents, you'd be forgiven for concluding that he's an official who's lenient with contact. It's got to be a good old fashioned leg breaker before he gives it. You've got to catch the ball before it's a handball. You know that's just the way he is. That's the way he referees.

But no. The very next game he does an about-face and makes a crucial decision that was completely at odds with the way he viewed things a few days before.

That is what I have the issue with. And why I am baffled as to why the man is viewed as one of the top officials of the game who is possibly going to be put forward to the Euros as one of the best our country has. I'm not sure I can clarify my view any further.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
The reason he’s being talked about today is because he missed an incident! Refs only get to see one angle in real time, ie VAR spotted something and asked him to take a look. Isn’t that a good thing?

Look at the pressure he’s been put under for 3 days, whether he’s a cheat, his integrity etc.
This is the problem with VAR, they only spot something trivial and ask the Ref to have a look, or turn a blind eye to more serious infringements when there is an agenda or the VAR officials are plain crap, and I know which side I'm on. If that was against one of the Premier League's favoured boys, there is no way that would have been looked at, let alone ask a ref to have a look

simsini

Visit site
In fairness pal - he's basically blocked all forest fans on twitter - even those who have no interactions with him (I'm blocked and never once replied to or retweeted one of his posts). Such a fragile minded bloke. He knows most of us don't like him much because he's a woman beating strap-on. Shame as he's the best player I've ever seen in a Forest shirt.

My point being... his "pro-forest" opinions are few and far between
One of the other best players I've ever seen in a Forest shirt is Pierre van Hooijdonk. Strangely enough, he's not too popular either!

simsini

Visit site

Completely agree. Also, there is no way Stuart Atwell would have given a penalty for that incident last night if it was in the penalty area. You'd see a penalty given for nearly every corner in that case.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
One of the other best players I've ever seen in a Forest shirt is Pierre van Hooijdonk. Strangely enough, he's not too popular either!
Yep, very talented but slightly weird - like his countryman Bryan Roy.

Gibbs-White, when firing all cylinders, is probably the most talented player I've seen for Forest since Stan. He's just not found the consistency to be "on it" week in-week out....yet.

PaulMdj

Visit site
This is the problem with VAR, they only spot something trivial and ask the Ref to have a look, or turn a blind eye to more serious infringements when there is an agenda or the VAR officials are plain crap, and I know which side I'm on. If that was against one of the Premier League's favoured boys, there is no way that would have been looked at, let alone ask a ref to have a look
VAR has a limited remit which is part of the issue, they only review some incidents, ie, when a goal is scored or serious foul play etc so some of these trivial fouls are ignored or missed, which leads to shouts of inconsistencey, cheat or useless etc.

I’m sure we are not one of the PL favoured boys and I don’t believe in the agenda rubbish either.

If sunday hadn’t of happened no Forest fan in the world would of cared about last nights decision, but because of sunday, it’s another stick to beat Attwell.

Swango1980

Visit site
We're all continually told stuff like this is subjective. Two referees can view the same incident and come to different conclusions - I get that. It's the reason you can never get true consistency across all games for the whole season.

What we should demand/expect at the very least at this level - the BEST league in the world (allegedly) - is that individual referees themselves are consistent. So after Sunday when Atwell decided there was nothing wrong in any of the three incidents, you'd be forgiven for concluding that he's an official who's lenient with contact. It's got to be a good old fashioned leg breaker before he gives it. You've got to catch the ball before it's a handball. You know that's just the way he is. That's the way he referees.

But no. The very next game he does an about-face and makes a crucial decision that was completely at odds with the way he viewed things a few days before.

That is what I have the issue with. And why I am baffled as to why the man is viewed as one of the top officials of the game who is possibly going to be put forward to the Euros as one of the best our country has. I'm not sure I can clarify my view any further.
Pretty sure every single person would make inconsistent decisions for similar incidents, when they officiate over hundreds of similar incidents throughout a year. Added to that, after lots of controversy and press attention because an official made a decision (or not) one week, it is natural it may sway them in the opposite direction the next week, to avoid similar press attention

PaulMdj

Visit site
Completely agree. Also, there is no way Stuart Atwell would have given a penalty for that incident last night if it was in the penalty area. You'd see a penalty given for nearly every corner in that case.
It was announced last summer that there was a higher threshold for fouls committed in the penalty area after a record number of penalties in the last few seasons.

They’re also turning a blind eye to shirt pulling in the box due to the sheer amount from both sides at corners etc.

It’s rubbish, a foul is a foul imo, but it does go a little way to explaining why we see some inconsistencies, whether we agree with it or not.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don’t think he’s jumping ship at all. He said he was taking and needed a year off, which is what I fully expect him to do. He’s a manager who fully invests in his team, not a manager who just sees it as a job.
I get so many are pleased he’s going, because he has brought Liverpool back into the fight again but I also haven’t yet come across any fans of other teams who wouldn’t want him to become their teams manager with the exception of City fans….for now.
He gives an honest answer all the time and has been a good thing for the PL.
I don’t think for a minute if ETH was sacked at the end of the season and Klopp said he was going to Utd you would be upset one bit, but at least we know that won’t happen:)

Uh, yes I would.

simsini

Visit site
Pretty sure every single person would make inconsistent decisions for similar incidents, when they officiate over hundreds of similar incidents throughout a year. Added to that, after lots of controversy and press attention because an official made a decision (or not) one week, it is natural it may sway them in the opposite direction the next week, to avoid similar press attention
If a referee is changing the way he referees the game based on controversy, press coverage or other attention, that is corruption.