The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big result for Arsenal - got some key games coming up but they keep getting the results

Not sure how Arteta avoids getting sent from the sidelines , amazed that he hasn’t had a touchline ban yet - he does show passion but each game he seems to go over the top

What did he do that warranted a sending off? Acted like most of the top coaches do, was rightly booked when he left his technical area

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
its about time @Tashyboy came out of the closet ?
not seen any of the City game and saw the last 30 mins of the arsenal game, got to say that Arsenal looked very very impressive. Had a lovely day at Matlock baths ?
Re seeing Utd lose, from a personal point of view I would sooner of seen Utd win which would have helped us. I might of even put a squirrel on the forum. But at the end of the day Arsenal are the best team in the league.One thing about City, they are now in a position they have regularly been where they are chasing, they seem to enjoy it.
For the neutrals,Enjoy the run in.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This would suggest your football knowledge really isn't up to speed.
The whole Utd squad were poor last season, Rashford was part of that, you don't become a bad player overnight.
All in my opinion of course.

You do watch United occasionally I take it? Because your patronising comment suggests not.

For far too long Rashford has been capable of the extraordinary, but repeatedly made an utter hash of the ordinary. Some experts on here blamed his poor form over the last year to eighteen months on a long term shoulder injury. But a shoulder injury does not impact on decision making, and Rashford’s had become truly awful - regularly running down blind alleys into a clutch of defenders, never knowing when to offload to a team mate, and giving possession away cheaply time and time and time again. Free kicks were either struck directly into the wall or Row Z. But, hey. He had a shoulder injury.

The shoulder injury also, presumably, impacted on his finishing. Until this season, which has seen a resurgence under the new manager, I would say Rashford’s finishing, one on one, was woeful. He missed way more than he put away. That’s nothing to do with a shoulder injury. That’s a player whose career had stalled, and who was looking very much as though he needed a fresh start elsewhere.

I have been an Old Trafford regular for the best part of forty years, so rather than relying on edited TV highlights and press sound bites I have seen, first hand, how poor the entire team has been for far too long. You should be aware that Rashford started his career post Ferguson, when United were little better, if at all, than they were last season. That didn’t prevent him having a stellar start to his career. So he has proved in the past that he is capable of shining in an otherwise average side.

Prior to this season the performances had been largely lacking for a year or more. That’s not just down to being part of a poor side, because he’s clearly been part of a very average one for years. He is like a new signing this season, because of the confidence instilled in him by the manager.

Of course he hadn’t become a poor player - but he had become one who clearly wasn’t enjoying his football, was lacking in confidence, and wasn’t performing at anywhere near the level he should have been. He had been that way for far too long and, as a consequence, wasn’t worth his place in the side.

Football evolves over time, and players with it. Rashford has evolved and is now right back up there. Last year he clearly wanted to be anywhere else but on a football pitch, at least in a United shirt. And because I didn’t want to accept that my knowledge of football “isn’t up to speed”?

I haven’t spent a small fortune attending games to do so with my eyes shut, despite what you think.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What did he do that warranted a sending off? Acted like most of the top coaches do, was rightly booked when he left his technical area
He them continued to leave his box for the rest of the game without penalty... so surely a second yellow and sending off would have been entirely appropriate ?

D

Deleted member 15344

It was a general comment about how he acts on the sideline - and when the other top coaches go overboard they are also rightly criticised are they not ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
You do watch United occasionally I take it? Because your patronising comment suggests not.

For far too long Rashford has been capable of the extraordinary, but repeatedly made an utter hash of the ordinary. Some experts on here blamed his poor form over the last year to eighteen months on a long term shoulder injury. But a shoulder injury does not impact on decision making, and Rashford’s had become truly awful - regularly running down blind alleys into a clutch of defenders, never knowing when to offload to a team mate, and giving possession away cheaply time and time and time again. Free kicks were either struck directly into the wall or Row Z. But, hey. He had a shoulder injury.

The shoulder injury also, presumably, impacted on his finishing. Until this season, which has seen a resurgence under the new manager, I would say Rashford’s finishing, one on one, was woeful. He missed way more than he put away. That’s nothing to do with a shoulder injury. That’s a player whose career had stalled, and who was looking very much as though he needed a fresh start elsewhere.

I have been an Old Trafford regular for the best part of forty years, so rather than relying on edited TV highlights and press sound bites I have seen, first hand, how poor the entire team has been for far too long. You should be aware that Rashford started his career post Ferguson, when United were little better, if at all, than they were last season. That didn’t prevent him having a stellar start to his career. So he has proved in the past that he is capable of shining in an otherwise average side.

Prior to this season the performances had been largely lacking for a year or more. That’s not just down to being part of a poor side, because he’s clearly been part of a very average one for years. He is like a new signing this season, because of the confidence instilled in him by the manager.

Of course he hadn’t become a poor player - but he had become one who clearly wasn’t enjoying his football, was lacking in confidence, and wasn’t performing at anywhere near the level he should have been. He had been that way for far too long and, as a consequence, wasn’t worth his place in the side.

Football evolves over time, and players with it. Rashford has evolved and is now right back up there. Last year he clearly wanted to be anywhere else but on a football pitch, at least in a United shirt. And because I didn’t want to accept that my knowledge of football “isn’t up to speed”?

I haven’t spent a small fortune attending games to do so with my eyes shut, despite what you think.
Very good points and I can actually see and agree with what you were seeing.
Myself I saw a raw talent and although he was on a poor run I believed he would bounce back.
I suppose the worst thing would to have sold him to a rival,a la Van Persie and he starts producing what he producing now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was a general comment about how he acts on the sideline - and when the other top coaches go overboard they are also rightly criticised are they not ?

not to the degree certain areas are towards Arteta currently no imo

Neville spent 10 minutes on this, 10 seconds on Fernandes kicking out on the floor..............

Tashyboy

Visit site
Myself I saw a raw talent and although he was on a poor run I believed he would bounce back.
I suppose the worst thing would to have sold him to a rival,a la Van Persie and he starts producing what he producing now.

I saw Rashford v City a few times and his pace ripped us to bits, but as has been said at times his decision making was dire. However I don’t blame him. I remember once thinking if Pep had hold of him for half an hour he would be a different player. Until TH turned up I don’t think one UTD manager got the best out of him. Rashford is not the only player that has improved since TH turned up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I saw Rashford v City a few times and his pace ripped us to bits, but as has been said at times his decision making was dire. However I don’t blame him. I remember once thinking if Pep had hold of him for half an hour he would be a different player. Until TH turned up I don’t think one UTD manager got the best out of him. Rashford is not the only player that has improved since TH turned up.

He was superb today, especially first half, gave Ben White a proper hard time and had him subbed off at HT having been booked. Tomiyasu did better against him second half but he looks as good as anyone in full flow currently

Billysboots

Visit site

I really hoped that, under Solskjaer’s management, Rashford’s finishing would move to the next level. But then, of course, OGS spent little or no time involving himself in training, and Rashford didn’t so much stagnate as go backwards.

Things certainly conspired against him, but I have seen so many raw talents emerge at United only to go nowhere. It was absolutely apparent that Rashford had the talent, more so than some of the others who had seen their careers plateau when they were in their early 20’s. But for a long time that talent was being wasted.

There was a real danger of him going the same way as the likes of Danny Wellbeck, and that would have been a crying shame, but another season like last season would have probably seen him moving on.

I’m absolutely delighted that he’s back on track.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really hoped that, under Solskjaer’s management, Rashford’s finishing would move to the next level. But then, of course, OGS spent little or no time involving himself in training, and Rashford didn’t so much stagnate as go backwards.

Things certainly conspired against him, but I have seen so many raw talents emerge at United only to go nowhere. It was absolutely apparent that Rashford had the talent, more so than some of the others who had seen their careers plateau when they were in their early 20’s. But for a long time that talent was being wasted.

There was a real danger of him going the same way as the likes of Danny Wellbeck, and that would have been a crying shame, but another season like last season would have probably seen him moving on.

I remember when it was rashford Vs sterling for England and I was a big fan of rashford instead of sterling

Sterling went to the biggest team in land and was perfect fit there

Now it's looking like soon as he leaves the pep team he's gone off boil where as rashford is flying

Shame now saka has appeared ..

D

Deleted member 15344

So halfway through the season £2bn spent on transfers - who so far has been

Bargain signing

Best signing

Most impact on team

Worst signing

For me

Bargain - Pereira for £8mil , Botman for £30mil also

Best - Haaland right now is up there , maybe Zinchenko ,

Most Impact - Casemiro for me

Worst signing - Antony must be up

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

I agree with all you say about Rashford and what Ten Haag has done for him.
But I also think that since Steve Mclaren has come in he has helped Rashford a great deal.
I know Mclaren has been ridiculed before but there's no doubt about his coaching credentials.
So I think he should be given some credit too.

Tashyboy

Visit site
A fair result. United made it difficult for themselves at times, but the progress being made under ten Hag is huge. A club now very much heading in the right direction.

Massive result for Arsenal.
Personally I think both clubs today have made massive steps in the right direction. Remember how dire Zhaka was at Arsenal. ?
Ave said this for a few seasons about teams that City have faced and struggled. The one thing they had in common was they were organised, Leicester and Southampton over the years. Arsenal and Utd are now organised but with an outlet. I think Arsenal and Utd next year will see more teams sat back with numbers behind the ball like City and Liverpool get Now. City have looked ragged this year but Liverpool even though I called it early in the season about getting behind them I never saw them being where they are in the league.

Billysboots

Visit site
So halfway through the season £2bn spent on transfers - who so far has been

Bargain signing

Best signing

Most impact on team

Worst signing

For me

Bargain - Pereira for £8mil , Botman for £30mil also

Best - Haaland right now is up there , maybe Zinchenko ,

Most Impact - Casemiro for me

Worst signing - Antony must be up

I pretty much agree with you Phil.

Pereira showed glimpses of what he was capable of at United but was never going to flourish there.

Haaland’s goals speak for themselves, but in terms of impact on a team, Casemiro nicks that one. City have remained at the level they were, at least domestically, since his arrival. The change in United with Casemiro sitting in front of the back four is massive. There are a number of reasons for their league position, not least the manager, but Casemiro’s impact has been huge.

As for Antony, I’m willing to give him time but, for the most part so far, he has been very poor, especially given the price tag. I can’t believe how one footed he is. I will say Nunez is running him close, but Liverpool’s performance levels have been average across the board and, despite the lack of goals, I can see what Nunez brings to the side.

Billysboots

Visit site
I agree with all you say about Rashford and what Ten Haag has done for him.
But I also think that since Steve Mclaren has come in he has helped Rashford a great deal.
I know Mclaren has been ridiculed before but there's no doubt about his coaching credentials.
So I think he should be given some credit too.

Totally agree regarding Steve McLaren. Great coach, poor manager. Most fans acknowledge the two roles are very, very different.

D

Deleted member 15344

I pretty much agree with you Phil.

Pereira showed glimpses of what he was capable of at United but was never going to flourish there.

Haaland’s goals speak for themselves, but in terms of impact on a team, Casemiro nicks that one. City have remained at the level they were, at least domestically, since his arrival. The change in United with Casemiro sitting in front of the back four is massive. There are a number of reasons for their league position, not least the manager, but Casemiro’s impact has been huge.

As for Antony, I’m willing to give him time but, for the most part so far, he has been very poor, especially given the price tag. I can’t believe how one footed he is. I will say Nunez is running him close, but Liverpool’s performance levels have been average across the board and, despite the lack of goals, I can see what Nunez brings to the side.

I would also have to add Richarlison for Spurs , £50plus mil and zero Prem Goals so far

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bargain signing: Nick Pope for me, others Pereira, Mee on a free, Ericson on a free, Aaron Hickey, Gnonto

Best signing: Haaland at the price.

Most impact on team: Casemiro at United, Haaland at City the 2 obvious ones

Worst signing :Richarlison haha, over 50m and not scored a prem goal yet has he, also Anthony, Sterling, Aubameyang, Cucurella, (OK ill stop now Chelsea fans ;) )

In an odd way, most impact could also be Jesus/Zinchenko and the overall impact theyve had on and off the field and the change the 2 of them coming has had