The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really impressed by Newcastle

Sure they have money and have bought a couple really expensive players but they have also worked wonders with what they already had in almaron and joelinton (he cost a lost few years ago but hadn't set alight)

Bought sensible players like tripper and pope

They are refreshing to watch

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really impressed by Newcastle

Sure they have money and have bought a couple really expensive players but they have also worked wonders with what they already had in almaron and joelinton (he cost a lost few years ago but hadn't set alight)

Bought sensible players like tripper and pope

They are refreshing to watch
Can’t say I enjoyed watching them today. With eight minutes to go me and the lad were the only ones left on our row of 25 seats ☹️

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This match is set up for Villa to equalise and then Darwin Nunez to score an absolute screamer in the 95th minute to win it after all the chances he's missed so far.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
starting xi looks good, but not sure a premier league leader will have had many weaker benches on boxing day than the one we have tonight, depth of squad in danger of being exposed, be interesting to see if they add a few bodies in Jan

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
starting xi looks good, but not sure a premier league leader will have had many weaker benches on boxing day than the one we have tonight, depth of squad in danger of being exposed, be interesting to see if they add a few bodies in Jan

Similar decisions to be made at both Arsenal and Newcastle. Both could probably do with two or three top quality additions to the squads, with money to do it presumably available at both, but would bringing in those players upset the current balance of what is so obviously working for them at the minute? And are the right players available at the right price to make those signings feasible?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Similar decisions to be made at both Arsenal and Newcastle. Both could probably do with two or three top quality additions to the squads, with money to do it presumably available at both, but would bringing in those players upset the current balance of what is so obviously working for them at the minute? And are the right players available at the right price to make those signings feasible?

I think theyll buy IF they can get who they want at the right price, harder than it seems in January, especially when selling clubs know what you need! Wouldnt be surprised to see a loan or two which is less likely to rock the boat potentially. Timing is critical too as trying to get Saliba, Saka and Martinelli to sign new long term deals currently too

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think theyll buy IF they can get who they want at the right price, harder than it seems in January, especially when selling clubs know what you need! Wouldnt be surprised to see a loan or two which is less likely to rock the boat potentially. Timing is critical too as trying to get Saliba, Saka and Martinelli to sign new long term deals currently too

Where do you think Arsenal need to strengthen? To me they could probably do with a right back, although White seems to be doing OK there I think they need a proper right back rather than a natural CB covering that position. Also think a CM as an upgrade on Xhaka and a wide attacker, such a Cody Gakpo type player would improve them. And getting in a 20 goal a season striker would obviously be a big bonus, although not sure how many of them are currently available at the right price.

EDIT - other than that I would see it as bringing in players as cover for those you've already got. Not sure who you have to cover, for example, Tierney or Odegaard if they were injured.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It really is depth we need in several positions, the starting XI is pretty good:

Centre midfielder to cover Partey or play alongside in some games in Xhakas spot
Attacking player ideally someone who can play wide right and also centrally but to cover Saka mainly (esp now Nelsons injured again)
A striker, I expect we wont sign an out and out striker but will use Nketiah and Martinelli as cover until the summer at least
A defender, right sided or centre half.

Theres plenty of the players within the squad who now are able to play in multiple positions, but the quality tails off quite steeply after the first 12 or 13, I expect Edu/Arteta will try and add versatile players where they can

We have some very good youngsters but none are quite ready it seems, Patino who is out on loan may be the closest

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how were losing here sigh, sucker punch :(

I don't get how we are winning

Can't keep the ball

Defending ok but not retaining it after winning it

Pen was a pen tho as I don't think he dived he was defo put off his stride at speed but other than that we been rubbish

Didn't think that was even a foul let alone a booking just then for coufal .. he got 100% ball and after the ball had gone (that he played) he got man.. surely it's all ball