The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha, I love the way that, after he punches them or grabs them, not one acts with any retaliation. They look like they have suddenly been shamed and walk off in shock and disgrace.
Yeah, a bit before my time, but the respect people had for Clough must have been sky-high. Or people just had more respect in those days generally. Probably bit of both.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This is my concern. It's the herd effect. Supporters are seeing people invade pitches at other clubs and think it's ok to do the same. The more people who invade the pitch, the more chance of incidents like we've seen. They need to clamp down on this before it escalates.
And so a great pity that the Sky TV presenter, commentator and pundits at the Forest Sheff Utd game were revelling in the scenes at the end - without a single word of concern or condemnation that I heard.

Swango1980

Visit site
And so a great pity that the Sky TV commentators and pundits at the Forest Sheff Utd game were revelling in the scenes at the end - without a single word of concern or condemnation that I heard.
That is just it. Pundits and commentators are happy to take the moral high ground as soon as something goes wrong. However, until that point, they focus more on the jubilation of fans, with the pitch invasion being a sign of the passion, relief and joy of the fans. Of course, for most fans that is the case. However, if only 0.1% of fans are scumbags, if 2000 fans invade the pitch, you have 2 nutters running around looking to verbally or physically abuse opposition players or staff.

I'd be pretty nervous if I was an away player or manager in that situation. Can you imagine if Everton had happened to be playing a rival team, like Liverpool, where emotions run much higher? Or a team in which one or two of the players were known wind up merchants? That could really be a recipe for disaster.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Kai Havertz €80m, Timo Werner €53m, Ben Chilwell€50.2m, Hakim Ziyech €40m, Edouard Mendy €24m, Thiago Silva Free, Malang Sarr Free

All of the above, Sarr excluded, are still first teamers are they not? So not a waste. Werner is probably the least successful but he came with glowing CV in Germany and was chased after by a number of clubs. Worth going for, he just hasn't worked.

You have got to let that dislike go, it's better for you ?

There's nothing wrong with either Lukaku or Werner if we could get over our aversion to playing an early ball for them to run onto; the number of checked runs they make per game is ridiculous and frustrating.

The only disappointment in that list is Malang Sarr, who we paid far too much for.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That is just it. Pundits and commentators are happy to take the moral high ground as soon as something goes wrong. However, until that point, they focus more on the jubilation of fans, with the pitch invasion being a sign of the passion, relief and joy of the fans. Of course, for most fans that is the case. However, if only 0.1% of fans are scumbags, if 2000 fans invade the pitch, you have 2 nutters running around looking to verbally or physically abuse opposition players or staff.

I'd be pretty nervous if I was an away player or manager in that situation. Can you imagine if Everton had happened to be playing a rival team, like Liverpool, where emotions run much higher? Or a team in which one or two of the players were known wind up merchants? That could really be a recipe for disaster.

Nope there is much more than that.

90% of the time there is a "home" pitch invasion the following happens:-

1. They celebrate for 1-2 minutes, grab the players, selfies, jubilation sing songs and so on.

2. The scals then turn to the away fans to wind up, fight with. Depending on the club could be a few hundred, could be more. You also get people who wouldn't get involved in stuff also fancy a bit of it in their reverie.

It needs to be cracked down on again, as we'll end up with fences again, as unless you put 2,000 stewards/police out you can't stop it.

The daft things I've heard this week are:-

One of the commentators bellowing these are not football fans, they do not represent football - you know what, yes they are footy fans.

One pundit (Agbonlahor??) saying shouldn't the law ban it - it's been banned for years mate, but not often enforced.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I popped onto Squawka and they have an article ranking the best keepers of the season. https://www.squawka.com/en/best-premier-league-goalkeepers-ranked/ 4th best in the league this season. The two you'd expect are above him, plus the Wolves keeper who I've not really watched. Pope is not in the top ten.

I know he's not getting any younger, and I rate Pope highly, but if we signed Pope now he wouldn't be first choice next season. No chance he's better than Lloris yet. I think Hugo suffered through being more exposed when we lost Vertonghen and were playing clowns like Sanchez in front of him - same thing that happened to De Gea. Since Romero's come in and Dier has stepped up a bit, he's back to being solid again.

I actually saw rumours last week that we'd be signing Sam Johnstone from WBA as our new back-up/cup goalie. Not as good as Pope but still wouldn't mind it. Either way I think it's worth having an English second goalie because of the homegrown nonsense.

Avoid him like the plague. He been dropped from wba for causing so many errors that lead to goals.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That shouldn't be allowed between domestic clubs IMO, say it was a 40 million bonus?

Ok in international transfers, but not domestic.

Interestingly just been reading that Liverpool will have to pay Wolves several million pounds if they win the league as part of the Jota transfer. So that's Man City v Villa with a Grealish bonus due and Liverpool v Wolves with a Jota bonus due on the last day of the season to decide who wins the title.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with either Lukaku or Werner if we could get over our aversion to playing an early ball for them to run onto; the number of checked runs they make per game is ridiculous and frustrating.

The only disappointment in that list is Malang Sarr, who we paid far too much for.
I think Werner’s general game is excellent but his finishing isn’t.
The chances he’s had he should be up the top of the scoring list.
But as a footballer I think he’s really good.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Yes it is.
It’s quite nice imo.

But they have been allowed to buy the club ( some like it some don’t) so they can have whatever kit they like.
Money talks in football and most other places unfortunately.
We used to play 5-a-side in a Derby away kit which was pale blue and white stripes. We were wearing this and then Argentina invaded the Falklands. We got a few boos and whistles from the stands the following week. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We used to play 5-a-side in a Derby away kit which was pale blue and white stripes. We were wearing this and then Argentina invaded the Falklands. We got a few boos and whistles from the stands the following week. :LOL:
Reminds me of the 5-a-side team me and my mates had a decade ago. We fancied getting some sort of kit to avoid the need for bibs, so I went down to Sports Direct to have a look at what I could get. The cheapest option turned out to be a bunch of Olympiakos shirts they were flogging for some unknown reason - they were only 8 quid a shirt! Red & white stripes so generally didn't clash with what other teams were wearing. Later on another mate joined, he's a big feller and none of the Olympiakos shirts I got fitted him, but luckily he's a Brentford fan so he just wore his own Brentford home shirt and matched perfectly. :D

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My lad has just shown me a video clip. Apparently from the fan that Patrick Viera put on his backside.It’s from him. ? For what he says and does he should be banned for life. His 15 mins of infamy should cost him dearly.