The Flop Shot

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been working on the Dan Grieve short game over the weekend and so the release 3 for the flop shot is starting to come into my arsenal. It does require a decent lie (so not likely on our sodden courses) and faith and is a work in motion. To be honest the release 2 has been a powerful short game tool anyway. I've always struggled with a LW and so it hasn't been in my bag for years. There aren't many occasions where a player of my level would need to play this shot and do so properly
i've been watching his videos on Faceache and have been trying the techniques out on the range and around our 9th green before i go out and play on the course.

not sure what "release" it is but you basically stand close to the ball (toe down) and have the club back in the stance and swing across with very little hinge.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
i've been watching his videos on Faceache and have been trying the techniques out on the range and around our 9th green before i go out and play on the course.

not sure what "release" it is but you basically stand close to the ball (toe down) and have the club back in the stance and swing across with very little hinge.
These are the three releases

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I used to have a 64 degree when I was confident in my short game and was quite happy playing the flop shot.

These days I might try it once or twice a year. :oops:

D

Deleted member 15344

I play off 2 and can’t bring myself to play it with a card in hand. 56 degree and try to hole a 10 footer.

Maybe I should learn/practise.

It’s a shot I also rarely use as well - very high risk of making a mess , you need to have everything right in terms of lie and swing. The pros rarely use the true flop shot as well

But it’s also good to open up the face a bit more to get a little extra elevation, and most of the time it’s not really needed

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As with Junior and LPP I can play it and I will play it but the situation has to 100% in my favour....
Get it right and it can save you a shot, get it wrong and it can easily cost 2 or 3

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Video from 7 years ago when I lived in Liverpool. No kid and all the time in the world to relax and practice.

I'm a big advocate for having a decent amount of bounce on your lob wedge and using it.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I can pull this shot off with a high degree of success providing I've got the right lie.
If it's a very tight lie, I find it difficult to pull off, with maybe a 60% success rate.
With a good lie, I'm pretty confident.

I used to carry a 60° degree wedge, but now I just open the face & flatten the lie with a 56° degree wedge.
It works most of the time.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A good lie is not essential but it certainly helps.

I hit these out of the divot I made on the 2nd shot. Still managed decent results.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Interesting to see some low handicappers saying they never use it, I do often...but I think that's because there's more chance of me being the wrong side of the bunker or having a massive bush to go over, than them.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I use it and I practice it.
Why wouldn’t you?
Short sided or over a bunker it can definitely save a shot if it can be executed well.
Agree with others that it can go wrong, but any shot can go wrong.
If I’m playing it I will definitely try and hit it off the toe as it seems to stop quicker.