The First Time You Hit the Green on a Par 3

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Big moment in my life.
Must be about 66 years ago.
Downhill about 150 yards.
I can still remember the shot, exactly where it carried the grass bunker 50 yards short of the green,
The club [Hickory shafted cot down 3 wood]
Who I was playing with and the weather, especially the wind direction.
Strange game we play.:LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After my first round I realised it was best to have lessons. So never played again until after a couple of lessons and I was a quick learner. So first time I hit the green with a tee shot was probably fairly soon after starting to play regularly and very quickly became regular occurrence so nothing in there to jog my memory.

D

Deleted member 1147

My first ever round. In 1991.
I hit the pin on the par 3, 16th hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would lie if I said I knew for certain but it would most likely have been the 5th at Deaconsbank, Glasgow southside. A short flat par 3 - you could top the ball, and if it went straight and between the two little trees half way to the green it would most likely end up on the green.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

Golf shot says 33% overall scrambling which is pretty good but I hope to get to 40 or higher for this year.
Based on that I don't see any logic in laying up, you may as well go for the green every time unless there is a carry over water that you can't make.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Based on that I don't see any logic in laying up..

I don’t base it on that one stat, my gameplan takes a few factors into account. The scrambling stat is always skewed by difficult shots, tricky/unlucky lies and green difficulty/shortsiding.

I feel my overall scores for 18 holes are the best measure of my gameplan and as they are meeting or exceeding my expectation I think I have found what works for me.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don’t base it on that one stat, my gameplan takes a few factors into account. The scrambling stat is always skewed by difficult shots, tricky/unlucky lies and green difficulty/shortsiding.

I feel my overall scores for 18 holes are the best measure of my gameplan and as they are meeting or exceeding my expectation I think I have found what works for me.
I think your game plan is holding you back from shooting your lowest possible scores ?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think your game plan is holding you back from shooting your lowest possible scores ?

I agree, my game plan will have the effect of changing my score distribution and therefore affect both ends of the bell curve.

In other words I won’t shoot really bad scores but I won’t shoot amazing ones either.

Last edited: