The Decision Has Been Made

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
All in all I am a very happy man and if you want to go for a fitting in the Surrey area this is worth looking at. Ask for a guy called Andrea Timms and he'll see you right.

Having done that session myself I can only second Homer's write up and recommendation for Andrea. He's been in the business a long time and he does know his stuff.

As for Andrea being a bloke, he wouldn't have looked out of place in the second row this morning

He's not small Homer but that's a bit harsh! :D

And sold you a shed load of gear at massive mark up prices.

Yup, trawling the internet once you've decided & price matching the best they can find must be a huge mark up :rolleyes:

He just had 3 1/2 hours of someone's time. An hours fitting for free maybe but people have make a living.

Absolutely right, and then that leaves you free to make your purchase elsewhere with a clean conscience if you choose to.

mikee66

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hope you are happy with the G25's mate, I just hope you have done your due dilligance when it comes to them??

They age very very quickly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Biggest question around all this is "What will the effect be on Homer's handicap?"

While I wish him well, my prediction is....

Any comps played until he gets the new sticks will be buffer at best, but more likely +0.1, as he'll have lost confidence in the current kit.

First 1 or 2 comps with the new gear won't produce anything sparkling and the 'cause' will be 'getting used to the new gear'! Then there'll be a good result, say a couple under net, and celebration because 'the new gear is working' followed by the usual 'feeling pretty good and results are just around the corner'. Then it'll be the end of the season with the usual 'working on such and such over Winter'.

Alternatively, there'll be a couple of good results and the handicap will get frustratingly close to single figures, maybe even into the high 9s - 10 range, before Winter descends.

Another question is whether the sticks have actually been ordered - and from who(m)! Homer still hasn't stated (here) that he's handed over the wedge for that, merely that he's made the decision! He's paid for a fitting - which he was promising himself to do anyway - and ended up with the same clubs (maybe not quite the same spec) as his Pro suggested, so who does he purchase them from - if either! The fact that a specific figure was mentioned indicates, to me, that an overall deal wasn't done and the cost was simply for the fitting. I've heard it's a pretty good facility and that they know their stuff. As such, the cost seems fair.

This story could (and, knowing the participant(s) is likely to) drag on for some time yet! I'm going for a bit of internet searching and a couple of phone calls, then a return to the Pro, a proper Ping fitting by him and a 'priced matched' purchase. But what if the Pro's fitting doesn't come up with Green Dot?!

I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to the next episode or dreading it!

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Biggest question around all this is "What will the effect be on Homer's handicap?"

While I wish him well, my prediction is....

Any comps played until he gets the new sticks will be buffer at best, but more likely +0.1, as he'll have lost confidence in the current kit.

First 1 or 2 comps with the new gear won't produce anything sparkling and the 'cause' will be 'getting used to the new gear'! Then there'll be a good result, say a couple under net, and celebration because 'the new gear is working' followed by the usual 'feeling pretty good and results are just around the corner'. Then it'll be the end of the season with the usual 'working on such and such over Winter'.

Alternatively, there'll be a couple of good results and the handicap will get frustratingly close to single figures, maybe even into the high 9s - 10 range, before Winter descends.

Another question is whether the sticks have actually been ordered - and from who(m)! Homer still hasn't stated (here) that he's handed over the wedge for that, merely that he's made the decision! He's paid for a fitting - which he was promising himself to do anyway - and ended up with the same clubs (maybe not quite the same spec) as his Pro suggested, so who does he purchase them from - if either! The fact that a specific figure was mentioned indicates, to me, that an overall deal wasn't done and the cost was simply for the fitting. I've heard it's a pretty good facility and that they know their stuff. As such, the cost seems fair.

This story could (and, knowing the participant(s) is likely to) drag on for some time yet! I'm going for a bit of internet searching and a couple of phone calls, then a return to the Pro, a proper Ping fitting by him and a 'priced matched' purchase. But what if the Pro's fitting doesn't come up with Green Dot?!

I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to the next episode or dreading it!

Wow. You've given this some serious thought haven't you? My prediction, Homer will get the Pings (from where - who cares?) and rip it up, be down to single figures in no time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Having done that session myself I can only second Homer's write up and recommendation for Andrea. He's been in the business a long time and he does know his stuff.

He's not small Homer but that's a bit harsh! :D

Yup, trawling the internet once you've decided & price matching the best they can find must be a huge mark up :rolleyes:

Absolutely right, and then that leaves you free to make your purchase elsewhere with a clean conscience if you choose to.

He quoted and said he would price match and he and I sat in the bar TOGETHER and looked at sites like Snaiton, AG and most of the regular names and he came across and matched as promised. The charge was £90 for 3 1/2 hours so less than £30 per hour for a quality club fitter and some instruction thrown in. We could have gone on longer if I'd been ultra fussy on trying loads of different specs or models but had done my homework and knew what I was looking for. Not many pros I know charge too much less than £30 for tuition for an hour and I don't see fitting as being different to a lesson

For all of that and no pressure or allegiance to any make. In fact he said during the fitting that if he finds any of the staff pushing a specific brand as their own preferred choice they are out. To that degree it is as independent as it gets and although there was no Cally, we had enough choice in Yonex, TM, Mizuno, Ping, Wilson and Cobra to give most golfers enough choice

Chris1980

Head Pro
Visit site
I chose to buy ping i20's this week, due to the results i was getting at my fitting( 1/2 inch longer green dot) as cud have taken other nicer looking clubs ie 825 pro's which were nearly as good and looked great but its all about what results are best for u! If the G25's did it for u then apart from getting used to the distances theres no reason why you cant be playing well straight away. Enjoy the new bats homer, still plenty of time before winter descends!

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He quoted and said he would price match and he and I sat in the bar TOGETHER and looked at sites like Snaiton, AG and most of the regular names and he came across and matched as promised. The charge was £90 for 3 1/2 hours so less than £30 per hour for a quality club fitter and some instruction thrown in. We could have gone on longer if I'd been ultra fussy on trying loads of different specs or models but had done my homework and knew what I was looking for. Not many pros I know charge too much less than £30 for tuition for an hour and I don't see fitting as being different to a lesson

For all of that and no pressure or allegiance to any make. In fact he said during the fitting that if he finds any of the staff pushing a specific brand as their own preferred choice they are out. To that degree it is as independent as it gets and although there was no Cally, we had enough choice in Yonex, TM, Mizuno, Ping, Wilson and Cobra to give most golfers enough choice

I think for the service you've received you've got an excellent deal. Enjoy the new bats.

Whee

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Fair play to you Homer, sounds like you're more than happy with what you've sorted out - I hope they turn up in good time and you play well with them from Day 1.

I must say, you do very well not to react to some of the goading you get on here for displaying your passion for the sport. Bizarre that you get stick for being passionate about golf, on a golf forum.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gratz on the new shineys Homer.

I have to say I think £90 for a proper club fitting of that length is a bargain. I have had free fittings and paid for fittings and the place where I paid for a fitting the clubs were price matched and there really was no pressure to buy any clubs, the fitting also felt more through too.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not if you were the fitter you wouldnt be saying that. :D
I have to say good luck with them Martin, with this much discussion and hope, I'd be expecting immediate results.
I have never seen so much guff associated with changing a few sticks. Im sure touring pros spend less time debating it.

Gratz on the new shineys Homer.

I have to say I think £90 for a proper club fitting of that length is a bargain. I have had free fittings and paid for fittings and the place where I paid for a fitting the clubs were price matched and there really was no pressure to buy any clubs, the fitting also felt more through too.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Am I missing something? What took 3 and 1/2 hours if you only tried the stock shafts?

Sounds like you are happy with the process and thats a huge part of the battle, good luck with the new shinies :)

mikee66

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ended up with stock Ping shaft in everything. There wasn't really a lot to be gained from the other options and to be honest for my level some of the numbers were marginal in terms of value added benefit. Kept it simple. As for Andrea being a bloke, he wouldn't have looked out of place in the second row this morning

Just out of curiosity can I ask what your swing weight was?

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
To be perfectly honest with you Homer it sounds as if your chasing the typical golfer trait nowdays of trying to buy a game.As your previous posts show you take your golf too seriously and now you think throwing thousands of pounds on new gear will change things for you but fitted or not seldom do handicaps come down with new gear. I know there will be golfers on here who disagree but after the initial purchase buzz players games generallly revert back to what they were.Like ive said before you can either play this game or you cant, but you definatly cant buy it, and as for paying for Ping fitting:confused: