The course you'd like to play for the rest of your life.

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I genuinely don't understand how you can say this. Every single time you play a course it is different whether it is pin and tee positions, weather conditions, speed of the greens and even down to the shots you hit. You might nail your drive on a hole and have a 7i left to the green and the next day knobble it and have a 3 wood.

Seriously, I think you need to expand your golfing horizons (y)
Yeah but it's like infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters eventually writing out the complete works of Shakespeare. On a long enough timeline you would have eventually covered every blade of grass in every scenario.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, I'm ready to move on if that's cool with everyone else. I'm deeply sorry that my simple answer to a simple question upset you all. :ROFLMAO:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah but it's like infinite monkeys with infinite typewriters eventually writing out the complete works of Shakespeare. On a long enough timeline you would have eventually covered every blade of grass in every scenario.
This isn’t a judgement on you at all, but given your previous experience of top courses (you’ve made it very clear you’ve not played many/any of them), it doesn’t surprise me you have this opinion. I’d get bored if I played the same ‘average’ course all the time, but I think the courses at the very top end of quality would lead you to change your opinoon

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This isn’t a judgement on you at all, but given your previous experience of top courses (you’ve made it very clear you’ve not played many/any of them), it doesn’t surprise me you have this opinion. I’d get bored if I played the same ‘average’ course all the time, but I think the courses at the very top end of quality would lead you to change your opinoon
For the sake of harmony I shall revise my answer then.

"If the one course I'd play for the rest of my life exists, then I haven't played it yet."
:sneaky:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Thing for me is, if I had to play the same course, for the rest of my life, on my own, then yes, I would get bored.
But I don't. I play with lots of different people, and even in the same 4 ball, with the right 4 ball, it would still be a good laugh.
It ceases to be about the golf though, so I am not so sure the course matters that much, as long as it is no goat track.

D

Deleted member 3432

You don't have to play top tracks to get enjoyment out of the game surely.

I couldn't care less if someone loved playing on a goat track every week as long as they got enjoyment out of it.

We are all at differents stages in our golfing journey and we all play for differents reasons so as long as people love the game thats good enough for me.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

I couldn't care less if someone loved playing on a goat track every week as long as they got enjoyment out of it.

We are all at differents stages in our golfing journey and we all play for differents reasons so as long as people love the game thats good enough for me.

I don’t know where youve got me insinuating you have to play the best courses to get enjoyment from the game? 🤷🏽‍♂️

D

Deleted member 3432

I don’t know where youve got me insinuating you have to play the best courses to get enjoyment from the game? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Post #84

Doesn't matter though does it, we are all finding different ways to take our enjoyment from the game. You being a very good player obviously like the challenge of longer, tougher courses and test yourself on a good number of them.

I'm a reasonable player but stick to try and master (very occaisionally) my own course, only playing one away course this year and Orikuru for example is taking enjoyment from something different.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

One of my favourite courses (Furzeley) isnt very long at all (par 62) but it has a number of nice holes which are a little quirky and are enjoyable to play.

In contrast there's another course which is much longer (Dummer) but i found it very boring.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of my favourite courses (Furzeley) isnt very long at all (par 62) but it has a number of nice holes which are a little quirky and are enjoyable to play.

In contrast there's another course which is much longer (Dummer) but i found it very boring.
Furzeley 😂😂😂

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's something else isn't it!? Played it a few years back when a mate got married in Vegas and we had to do it, awesome although the fact you can't step off the pristine grass onto the desert areas to play your shot annoyed me!! Fantastic course and staff

I haven’t played it to be honest 😂
It looks amazing though and I’d love to spend my days out there in the blazing sunshine 😎

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was made redundant a good few years back and so had plenty of time to play golf every day. I played my home course everyday, usually on my own. I didn't get bored as every day was a challenge to shoot the best score each time I could. We may not be the most picturesque course around but there was enough to enjoy. I would rather play a top course (Sunningdale Old being a preference) but if it had to be my home course it wouldn't be the end of the world and I don't see myself getting bored

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me, a course for the rest of your life is as much about the club as the course, probably more. i would love to feel happiness as I drove in, a nice club house overlooking the course and then a great course. My two favourites would be Bearwood and Parkstone. Love them both for all reasons mentioned. I am not too sure of the club element of links courses but I reckon Saunton and Royal Porthcawl would be top of the list for the lovely settings, great courses and likely strong member feel at the clubs.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Castle Stuart, just love the place, helps i normally play well there.
Good atmosphere in the club house having a dram before and after your round.
Just wish they would make it into a members club.