The best advice for someone getting into golf

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just wondering what your best bits of advice would be to a friend or colleague contemplating starting in golf?

Mine, from the friend that finally helped me along was initially, 'Don't!'

He may yet be proven correct but setting that aside, what would you offer?

If I was put in this position I think overall it would be something along the lines of, ' until you can get at least 7 out of 10 (7) irons off the deck and fairly straight then have lessons and stay away from a full range course- it'll only put you off prematurely'

'Don't' - didn't quite encompass this advice but i'm sure it was in there somewhere- thanks Pete :D

bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
do not go out and buy a full set of clubs untill you have a consistent swing. Wait untill you are decent enough to play, after a few lessons, then go and get fitted.

T

thecraw

Go and enjoy it.

Simple as that, if you dont enjoy it theirs no point continuing!

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
second that craw,

remember its a game and should be fun, billy G i see where your coming from but, i tell you what i wish i started playing on courses rather just going to the range because you give yourself a mindset where you start worry to much about it.

I used to go to the range once every couple of years when i was a kid. i liked it but it wasnt as much fun as playing the game for real.

If i had been on a course as a kid i know for a fact i would of started playing properly then instead of starting late. The truth of it really, i didnt know anyone who played golf and nobody got me into it!

Also this is just my opinion, A beginner should be given the opportunity to go and get what every clubs he wants whether its a 1IRON or a 3WOOD and let he or she decide if that club is difficult to hit. As soon as someone says
'you dont want one of those theyre well hard to hit'

they might be to you or i etc but as soon as someone says that 1. they get a bit of a mental block with the club before they tried it, 2. by creating that worry it takes the fun aspect away.

If a beginner turned round to me after his practice and said 'I got on ok with a 7 iron but couldnt hit the 1 iron for [****]'
then id say you might find that with the longer clubs, but at least hes been given the opportunity to find out forhimself. you never know he might turn round and say he hit the 1 iron the best id say well done!

So my best advice is be adventurous, don't look too hard into the game and equipment. Go 'Enjoy' yourself!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
1) Get lessons from the outset. Learn the basics correctly without having any bad habits to cure

2) Get out and play as often as possible. Play the local muni, poitch and putt, 9 hole, anything to get out and use to playing as many different shots as possible

3) Get a decent set of clubs but invest in a quality putter. You don't have to buy top of the range clubs to start and there are loads of quality brands (MD, Nicklaus etc that offer good entry level stuff). The one thing to invest in is a good quality putter as this is where 50% of the game is played

4) Practice. Hit as many balls as possible to learn the basics and ingrain a decent swing

5) Learn the rules. Make sure you know the rules so you don't cheat albeit inadvertantly. Make sure you are aware of the correct etiquette

6) Enjoy it. Its meant to be fun. If you want to you can set goals (1st handicap etc) but make them realistic and achievable but go out and enjoy the game, the surroundings and the company

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
get lessons, practice these on the range,

play as often as possible, par 3's are good (you'll start with too much club but so what). Get out on a course as soon as you can, you don't have to play all the holes. come summer there will be time in the evenings or early morning to go out on your own (though it's more fun with others) without bothering anyone <u>or letting them bother you</u> . 99% of people you meet on a golf course are prepared to help you; talk to them, sometimes they just want to be asked.

don't dismiss package sets but be aware you will replace everything in the bag and there's not much return on package clubs. package sets are built for the beginner
don't dismiss second hand but have someone with you who can steer you away from the worn out or unsuitable.
try before you buy, if you can't walk away.

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm with MVP and Homer on this. Practice is great, but until you've played a proper course and realised what a wonderful experience (both good and bad) it is you won't really know what you are practicing for.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Also agree, the sooner you get onto a real course the less intimidating it is. That said, learning to play golf is a bit like learning to drive a car, do not go out at the busiest times of day until you are more confident as you will only end up getting flustered.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Also agree, the sooner you get onto a real course the less intimidating it is. That said, learning to play golf is a bit like learning to drive a car, do not go out at the busiest times of day until you are more confident as you will only end up getting flustered.

This is fantastic advice. I stil get flustered if the course is really busy and I fire the odd one right onto another fairway.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is fantastic advice. I stil get flustered if the course is really busy and I fire the odd one right onto another fairway.

second that good comparison! Surprised i never thought of it :rolleyes:

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I suppose the reason that I had cautioned against going onto a full course until you have a few core shots in the bag is that I know from bitter experience how frustrating it can be to scuff and top a dozen shots to get to the green simply because you haven't the basics of ball-turf contact figured out.

On reflection though, spending all your time on a driving range bears little relation to the wonderful game of golf so ive probably got it wrong - best to get out there and get a feel for what it's all about and why exactly it is that people spend fortunes standing on a little green mat staring wistfully into the middle distance with looks of concern on their faces.

If nothing else it will explain that bit and more broadly put the whole thing into perspective.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
why exactly it is that people spend fortunes standing on a little green mat staring wistfully into the middle distance with looks of concern on their faces.

Were you at my range today billy?

I spend £4 a week. If I went to the course (x2) it would cost me £3.60 in Petrol.

f.w.i.w. I started straight on a real course....only discovered the range when I went for a lesson, was told to go and work hard and couldn't face picking up 100 balls twice a week.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
300 balls, bit of a marathon session. Perhaps we should call you VJ. I hit about 350 at my first fitting session when I was just trying loads of clubs and I was knackered afterwards.