The Battle of the Auld Enemy-Goswick G.C.-20th/21st Feb 09.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: The Battle of the Auld Enemy- part 1 cont..

It was in England.
I wondered at what location in Berwick did England become Scotland.
Where we stayed, the nth east accent was predominant. In town I heard more of a Scottish twang. Could have been because we were drinking with the Scots boys DOH!!!!

It would be unfair for the lads from Perth, Aberdeen to have to travel to Wentworth say.

Berwick was ideal for midlands up and Scotland down. Yes Viscount, Murph & Tony had long journeys but where else could it have been held. Ganton perhaps.

Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made and with notice, car sharing would be the logical route.

Here in Yorks is about the middle of the country. I'd be happy to arrange but I fear my home track would not be up to the challenge of Goswick. Alwoodley, moortown, maybe.
What we don't want is everyone thinking it is a chore to travel and hence putting them off.
Personally, with the choice of Scottish tracks. I would be the first to put my name down.
I believe that Carnasty was mentioned. Who wouldn't be up for that?.
Us Englanders could make a long, jolly boys outing of it and maybe stretch to 4 days on tour to include the 2 day comp.
Given that this was organised on a spur, with notice, i'm sure that there would be a bigger turn out. Teams of 16 maybe and to mirror the RC format. Fourball, foursome and individual

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site

If there is anyone out there considering whether or not to go along to a forum meet it is the best laugh you will have. One advantage of these meetings that is not visible is that now we have all met I now know in which context to take comments made by vig, tony and the others because having seen and heard their sense of humour I would find it difficult to take offence at any comment they made in a post. The Scottish guys have met a few times and we get each others humour. Another thing I liked was that everbody gave some stick and took it in good heart.... Fraser, yer one of the funniest guys I have met.

I took a bit for drinking CIDER !!!!!!!!!! I dont care if it looked like ribena it was KOPPERBERG C.I.D.E.R.........

And the next person who has a go at my FLOWER ESSENT golf bag will have my mummy to answer to.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

Golf Bag, I thought you were carrying a first aid kit for us all! :D

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk

Hugely enjoyable couple of days golf making for some good reading so here's a quick account of my games.
Geordie our head greeny had done us proud hand cutting the greens for the big event so the course was in great nick.
Played with Craig against DCB and Fraser...tee shots at the 1st were made easier courtesy of J_F,made birdie 1up
Craig proved to be handfull off his hcp,compact swing and deadly on the greens winning all his stroke holes.DCB was finding his game after a couple of months off through injury and Fraser's driver not finding the fairways on the front 9...he was to take the longest drive at 17.
So it was 10&8....and much piss taking over the curry I believe.
Day 2 saw me take on DCB and Fraser again with Chris as my partner.Stableford format seemed to suit the Scots with both playing the front 9 much better to see Eng take a slender 1 point lead into the back 9 with the wind at its strongest, Murph played a storming back 9 to ensure a comfortable victory for Eng..sure that made the 5hr drive home somewhat easier.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

Last in, but I add my thanks to Dodger for a superbly organised event, to Dodger Senior for adding that frisson of terror to the the first tee and to the club for considering, even for a moment, playing host to the strangest society that there can be.

And what a strange society, virtual strangers all but instantly bonded into the friendliest of warring camps.
Putting names to faces, and being wrong in your image of some (Homer, badges for Ascot?).

The banter started early, how not with Andy there? But with pairings called and starts announced the banter became nervous, then hushed. So all out to armour for the fray.

Tension grew as names were tolled and J_F took the stand, and eased many a faint heart with his mighty blow.

Drawn in the last group partnered with Chris (Murph) against a formidable pairing, Dodger and Andy, I was yet another links virgin and last away - and mightly relieved to make a clean drive.
We halved the first, only to see the game running away over the next half-dozen holes. Somehow we clung on, nibbling one back, losing one to reach the 15th with both Chris and me with a putt to take the match onward. Sad to relate both had an identical fate, dead on for line but a foot short.
A deserved win for Allan and Andy, who show a neophyte how links golf is played.

So on to the serious business (Andy I owe you a pint) of the evening and if the day had not already done so, the evening proved what a great bunch were there. One or two small libations supped in the most polite manner amidst gentile conversation; who could ask more.

And on to the dawn, I at least awoken by the raucous screech of herring gulls to a bright dawn.
We start with the bad news of the loss of Robo (Tim, hope your lad is well soon).

An early off in company with Graham and battling John and, once more, Andy. A closer fought contest this, the wind making mock of us all at times. Though, yes, it must be admitted that I did so top a ball off pine straw that it went backward. Unfortunately that entertainment didn't put Andy off his game.

So from the perspective of a truly high-handicapper, was it worthwhile. Oh hell yes! I would not have missed this for the world, and to steal from Shakespeare;

"This day is called the Battle of Goswick:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when the day is named,
And rouse him at the name.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly feast his neighbours,
And say 'that day I did thus and so'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars.
And say 'These wounds I had on Goswick's day.'
Old men forget: yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages
What feats he did that day.
And Goswick shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

And gentlemen in England and in Scotland too
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here!

To some great partners, some great opponents but above all to a great bunch - thank you

And if it should happen that next year the call goes out for a return, be it North or South of the border - I WILL be there.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Well I maybe the last of the players to make a post. After falling asleep at a wedding reception on Saturday night and failing to get up on Sunday morning to give our wee Craig his breakfast, the forum was declared out of bounds yesterday.

Again I would also like to say thanks to Dodger for organising what were a great couple of days.

There has been a few reports of my day 1 match with J_F against a very consistent , and far better, pairing of Vig and TonyN so I shall give a report on my day 2 match.

I was paired with Peter (Guest) against Vig (with that damn new hybrid again!!!) and Mike (Guest).

Both myself and Peter started well and were two points clear after three holes, could have been three but for a poor three putt at the second from myself. Maybe yesterday’s bad miss on eighteen had got to me.

Vig and Mike settled down to get a couple of net birdies and two solid pars between them over the next few holes where Peter and myself committed the cardinal sin of fourball golf and had a couple of bad holes together and we were soon two points behind after seven.

Peter won a point back at eight but Vig god a solid three at nine repeating his excellent 4 iron of yesterday to restore the two point advantage. Two behind after nine was now a familiar story. Both Vig and Tony were very consistent on Friday but today Vig was struggling with his new Hybrid and Mike was struggling on the greens so both Peter and I still felt we were in the game.

I got one point back at the tenth but Mike’s par 5 on 11 after Peter ran through the back and I found the bunker with my second again restored the two point advantage.

My par at twelve got us back to one again. Mike holed a good three footer to prevent a two shot swing. Vig then nearly holed a monster putt for a two at 13 and both Peter and I got up and down for our three. We turned into the wind at 14 with all to play for. Two great blows from Peter got him onto the edge of the green and two putts gave him his par. Vig lost his ball after his second shot and Mike also from the long stuff on the right did well to get a six. A two point swing put us one ahead. None of us found the green at 15 and a bogey from me and Mike shared the spoils. Both Peter and I were short at 16 and failed to make par but a three putt from Mike let us off the hook. Both Mike and Vig found bad lies down the right and were unable to make the green and could only manage a double bogey. Three solid blows from myself got me my par and another two point advantage. A par on the last secured our win. I even managed to hole a 4-footer, unlike yesterday.

Vig and Tony it was a pleasure to meet you both and both Vig and myself I think were happy with a point apiece over our two day battle.

Biggest thanks are to J_F for stepping up to the plate and do “that” of the first tee while I was hiding behind a tree. I have never been so nervous on the first tee in all my life. Maybe it was the “On the first tee representing Scotland” in Alan Rodger Snr excellent introductions that caused it I have to mention that J_F never hit a bad drive all the way round after that.

I am still tired at work today maybe it was because of the walk to a 4 mile walk at 3am to find a Spittal B&B to “adjust” Vig’s hybrid for Saturdays play ;) ;)

Stuart

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

No Stuart

I think i'm the last to post need i say more than what has been said, a great few days golfing. Played with Pete,Tommo and J.F all gentlemen and great company great banter lots of comedy moments thoughout the two days

Dodger and Dad thank you.

Word of advice, if you get the chance to go to a meet dont pass it up.

SS2

Tour Rookie
scoresaver.co.uk

Another thing I liked was that everbody gave some stick and took it in good heart.... Fraser, yer one of the funniest guys I have met.

I took a bit for drinking CIDER !!!!!!!!!! I dont care if it looked like ribena it was KOPPERBERG C.I.D.E.R.........

There two points here, Mr Mad:

1. I spoke to Fraser last night and the 10&8 thing has made him determined to improve his game this year. I'm amazed he survived the slagging and abuse on Friday night. All I could say to him as the night went on was "You couldn't even half a hole ?" Still, he took it like a man and may return to a future meet if he is paid an appropriate appearance fee...

2. The funny-coloured cider issue: it was Red Kola all along, wasn't it ?

Bonto

Visit site

Thanks to you all guys for a great couple of days. Hope to do it again sometime. Pete

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Craig would be a great idea and I am sure it could be done but would need to think hard about where and when etc.I for one would be up for it.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

Welcome aboard Pete!

Yes...he HAS seen the light...and the light was good. So was the mild, the bitter and the dark ale.

Another convert. Only 5.9 billion to go.

Glad you enjoyed the trip. And 100% record, too. How many strokes are you giving me for our next game??!! ...... and no more lager tops jokes, please.

tincup

Head Pro
Visit site

I dont know about anyone else but I would be quite happy for it to be at Goswick again, but if everyone would prefer it to be elsewhere I would still be one of the first to put my name down.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

Craig I agree.

I said on Friday to Vig, I'd love this to be an annual event, I would happily make that trip once a year to play that course!

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site

First of all Stu, thank you for posting day 2.
I will put words and thoughts down at some point for a time in the future when I can sit and recall some wonderful memories and new found friends. My fingers are still sore from the marathon session on the keyboard yesterday and to be honest after the red mist descended on me for the first couple of holes, I was struggling to remember the whole round.
I remebered the long putt and the mole pushing it up after it appeared to have dropped. I remember putting for eagle on 11 and scrambling a par and most of my bad shots. Most of what I remember was watching yourself & Pete, playing good, solid golf in what I thought was to be a stroll for yourselves. I actually thought we were well off the pace until you revealed the scores somewhere around 13.

Thank you for not mentioning my tee shot on the 1st on day 2 but I have to fes up to it.

On day 1, my 15* hybrid was a "wand". I was so confident in it that playing a driver on the first, never entered my head.
There was a strong tail wind and I figured I could send one soaring into the distance. I don't know if it was the clod or my over confidence, probably the latter, but as I stepped up to the plate and completed my swing, i looked up to see the ball soaring, soaring, well shuffling to a point just short of the end of the gents tee box to which Alan snr said "the ball is still in play". I wanted to laugh but couldn't for the bile that was building inside. Cue stroke two. hybrid back in the bag, "old faithful" 3 wood out. Whack!!!! the result, I was still short of where JF had hit his drive on day one. I was mighty pleased that we were second last out.
shot 3 was out of the deep void, just to get back in play and then I was in a daze for a few minutes. I managed to compose myself on the second tee to hit a shot pin high on the green. The winter green. 2 holes 2 disasters. Out came the driver on 3. Now anyone that knows me and my game knows that if the driver is out on most holes, i'm struggling with confidence on my other weapons of choice.
the rest of the round passed in a bit of a haze.

A well deserved win for Stu & Pete (welcome to the forum BTW)

today Vig was struggling with his new Hybrid

Vig and myself I think were happy with a point apiece over our two day battle.

Biggest thanks are to J_F for stepping up to the plate and do “that” of the first tee while I was hiding behind a tree. I have never been so nervous on the first tee in all my life. Maybe it was the “On the first tee representing Scotland” in Alan Rodger Snr excellent introductions that caused it I have to mention that J_F never hit a bad drive all the way round after that.

I am still tired at work today maybe it was because of the walk to a 4 mile walk at 3am to find a Spittal B&B to “adjust” Vig’s hybrid for Saturdays play ;) ;)

Stuart

Thank you Stu for a great couple of days company. I was happy to come out of Saturday with my dignity after the first few holes and happy to share the spoils with yourself over the two days.

I LMAO at the last quote. I'm going to go and check for haggis in the shaft now :D :D :D ;)

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

I just don't think I can wait another year for one, maybe longer if it's a summer meeting next time.

Is twice a year asking too much given that the golf & food only cost £40 at Goswick, the accommodation £30 (split 2 ways for me)? You'd be lucky to get a single round on some courses for that.