The Battle of the Auld Enemy-Goswick G.C.-20th/21st Feb 09.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: The Battle of the Auld Enemy- part 1 cont..

1. I spoke to Fraser last night and the 10&8 thing has made him determined to improve his game this year. I'm amazed he survived the slagging and abuse on Friday night. All I could say to him as the night went on was "You couldn't even half a hole ?" Still, he took it like a man and may return to a future meet if he is paid an appropriate appearance fee...

SS2 if that's what it would take for him to attend another, I would pay it myself :rolleyes:
Pass on my regards the next time you speak to him, or get him to log in.
The amount of stick he got on Friday night was unbelievable and he could still laugh about it.
His "clouseau" accent was "hawfuel" LOL.

Absolutely top bloke. I actually thought that Madandra knew him well. When I spoke to Mad the day after, that wasn't the case.
Everytime I hear the word "half an hole" i will think of you both. And I have decided to set a reminder on my phone to go off at 7:50.. go figure :eek:
Friday night was one of the best nights out I have EVER experienced. My ribs were still hurting on Saturday morning.
When we went our seperate ways, we went for a "nightcap" with Graham & Ric, because they had a night porter that would serve us. We got to their digs, we were confronted by Rolf Harris with paint brush in hand, telling us he could only do one job at a time. so we made our way back to our digs for a coffee before hitting the sack around 12.30.

I was awake again at 2am with "repeating" onions and finally up at 5am.
I thought that I had had a vision of "santa" in the night but it turns out it was Stu climbing back out of the window after "doctoring" my hybrid :eek: :D either that or them onions were magic.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
If we are sensible about the next match and we cut the costs by car sharing and even room sharing then I think we could travel on a shoestring leaving money for beer vouchers.

Booking really early was a great cost saving on this occasion and I would recommend we block book a travel inn or similar.

Instead of having everyone chipping in saying yes or no to a location just do what Dodger did ...

BOOK IT AND WE WILL COME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

There is no way this can possibly be a one-off, it was just too d**n good.

Twice a year might tug the bank managers heart strings a bit but make the call and I'm in. It's also a sure bet that the numbers will be way higher next time.

(tbh I think I might need a year to get a game together (and the lens off the camera!)

post edit: I think Andy has it - block book a suitable hostelry (at a discount of course) and just fill it as come.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

I would have loved to have been part of this, it sounds as if a great time was had by all..
If I'm totally honest, only two things put me off attending.
Call me a wimp, but taking the chances on the weather being even remotely decent that far "up country" in February was too much of a chance for me to take.
Also, it was a helluva long way for me to come for two days golf. I'm down on the Sussex coast and it would have taken an absolute age to get there.
Now if this were to be held sometime between May-August I would definitely be up for the trip. I'd take a week off work and incorporate it into playing some of the other gorgeous courses around that way.
I posted earlier in the thread about being full of admiration for those guys who travelled the distance they did...and I am.
But as I say, I'm a wimp

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Wimp indeed it was Northumberland not Greenland you know :D,the weather aint really colder despite southerners thinking otherwise,not many times I think I don't want to go and play even in Feb,granted it got cool on Friday pm when the rain came but overall just normal weather for Berwick in February.
Hope you could make a meet,that was my 1st and won't be my last!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Wimp indeed it was Northumberland not Greenland you know :D,the weather aint really colder despite southerners thinking otherwise

The only reason I mentioned it was because I used to organise a trip up to Scotland for myself and some mates, the very first year we went in March.
Goswick was one of the courses we played, as well as Dunbar. Dunbar was virtually unplayable because of the wind...I appreciate wind usually comes into play on a links course, would seem strange playing along the coast without a bit of a breeze. But this was altogether different and made a mockery of the game. It was that bad that we had to walk in after about 9 holes, you couldn't even stand up! It didn't take away the beauty of the course though because we went back and played it three days later and all was calme (abeit wet!) And out of the 6 days we were there, it hosed it down on 4 of them. We learnt our lesson and our subsequent trips were held in May. I think we had one bad day out of all the further years we came up from then on in!
I would hate to travel over 400 miles to get blown off the course and soaked into the bargain....just thinking that whilst it can still blow a gale during the Summer, by holding it a bit later you are taking some of the "risk" of rain out of the equation.
Rob

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site

I just don't think I can wait another year for one, maybe longer if it's a summer meeting next time.

Is twice a year asking too much given that the golf & food only cost £40 at Goswick, the accommodation £30 (split 2 ways for me)? You'd be lucky to get a single round on some courses for that.

How about a twice yearly, season opener and closer. Say March/April & Sept/Oct.
I would "walk" if need be.
Good call on the block book accomodation. If a provisional number were guaranteed, good rates should be available. Crikey I've "pi$$ed £70 up a wall on a night out. I would far rather spend it on something as special as this.

I would happily pay £120 to play one round on a top course so two days golf on a good course for that money a steal.

I will make some enquiries at the big hotel chains regarding group booking costs to get an idea on rates.

I think that if someone grasps the nettle and just goes for it, people will come. I never dreamed that it would turn out like it did.
The course obviously has a part to play as well.

Long may it continue and what about a token trophy?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Youve been unlucky Smiffy as Dunbar and where we are is one of the driest places in the UK but know where you are coming from.

Start and end of year is always good for keeping green fee costs down,the real cost of the Forum trip would have been rearer £70/80 with it being normal tees etc but managed to negotiate a deal.Someone get a guy to join the forum from Southerness and we are laughing for the end of year gig!! :D

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

You know I actually spent less than I thought I would. I think i prob spent about £100-£120.

I must admit, I forgot to collect the money off everyone for the hats :(

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

next time Tony. You could of course get it in pints!

Allowing for the extra nights in Leeds and Berwick, mine was pretty much on a par with yours. There is still no-way I'd attempt Chris' feat of driving back after the game, it will always be a three-nighter for me.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

I genuinely think that 2 events per year, 6 months apart, say March and September, are perfectly feasable. Travel time and costs are obviously the main issues but car/driver sharing and block booking cheap hotels will obviously help with that.

Booking golf courses in March usually means winter green fees which helps with costs and the weather ain't any worse than summertime. September generally means more expensive summer rates so it's a choice of risking October weather (it's crap all year round at the moment anyway) for some winter savings.

The added bonus is that more forum members will have a chance to play and experience what a great trip we had and if they can't make one, for whatever reason, then you're not missing out for long until the next one. I'd rather have little and often, costs wise.

Personally I'm planning sticking £15/£20 a month away in anticipation of the next trip already. September/October anyone?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

It strikes me that this totally brilliant post and all the banter,comments,laughs,observations,confessions,thanks(to Dodger and co)and all who played,and want to play next time round and also to J_F for his Oscar winning movie of some of the events of this great event just has to be the most
commented on,replied to,watched,and replied to!
Do not tell me I am wrong........PLEASE!!!
The best forum on the planet.....aren't we lucky,lucky people!?
Well done to everyone! :D

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think you're right, toyboy. I don't remember a post having over 2000 views and 11 pages of replies

At the end of the day I think the Scotland England rivalry had a lot to do with it, too. The players were obviously mad keen to play but the non players at least had a wee allegiance to draw their interest. A team to back. Someone to root for. This even though there was not a hint of anything other than great friendship when we all got together. I don't think there would have been the same interest in another meeting without that team thing going on.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

Spot on John. Your dead right. I have been to quite a few meets on the forum, all thouroughly enjoyable but this one was something else. I didnt sleep for two nights in anicipation, I rehearsed my tee shot if not once, a thousand times. The rivally was not so serious, but altogether very strong.

I dont think I could wait till this time next year to do it all again. Work would be too dull. I am in for the sept/Oct meet provisionally!

Show of hands people!

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Hi Guy after talking to some of the lads on Friday night the travel lodged seems to be the best valve for money it only cost £32.00 for the night at travel lodge, it cost Rick and myself £65.00 at the queens hotel. Just checked the travel lodge at Berwick-on-tweed and its still only £32 for SEPTEMBER 25 only pick this date as I am on rest days so are we going for it??????
Just spoken to travel lodge and they will not do any discount for a block booking
Think we need start a new thread for a RE-MATCH

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site

Aye but remember Graham, that's £32 for a double room. The beds split down the middle so it's £16 each! I got the family room for £29 and Bonto slept on the spare bed, so it was £14.50 each.

So far as Goswick is concerned I have to say it's probably the best value golf I've ever had in 30 years of playing. I know Dodger got us a deal but it's amazing value even without that discount.

I know Dunbar GC does "winter" rounds for £25 but they're pretty fussy about when their visitors can play, for example.

I vote for Goswick again. I think everyone thought it was neutral territory!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site

My Vote too would be for Goswick too, and I would suggest people look into some of the B&B's instead of the hotels. I paid £20 and it was excellent, Would have paid about £8 for the breakfast we ate else where.