The 4th and last major happens this week...not that you would know!

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can’t believe it’s a year ago that the Beeb took on the PGA and broadcast some of the most cringeworthy commentary ever.

Looks like the only option is to watch online this year?

D

Deleted member 1147

Well I won't be watching, which is a shame as I love watching the golf (and Anna Whiteley), but I'm not paying to watch golf on my mobile (it being my only internet accessible device).

Just goes to prove that the USPGA is the least worthwhile major :(

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I won't be watching, which is a shame as I love watching the golf (and Anna Whiteley), but I'm not paying to watch golf on my mobile (it being my only internet accessible device).

Just goes to prove that the USPGA is the least worthwhile major :(

I think the PGA is free on the app. Also do you not have a laptop or a computer? If you did you could get an HDMI cable and connect to your TV.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think the PGA is free on the app. Also do you not have a laptop or a computer? If you did you could get an HDMI cable and connect to your TV.

nope - so like I say, I'm not watching golf on my mobile

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Some real problems with the golf schedule that are not addressed in the PGA tour changes from next season.

For me the majors are all condensed into a very short season. This is getting worse next year with the PGA moving to May.

One issue has been addressed. The Fed Ex Cup playoffs are now 3 events meaning there will be more space after this for the Ryder Cup. Basically this should give Fed Ex Cup players a week off before the RC.

Personally I would make the following changes;

* the PGA Championship lose it's Major status.
* Be replaced with an International Masters that fluctuates between Europe, Asia and Australia in late August
* Realistically this could be played the week after an International WGC event that can always be scheduled to be close to the International Masters venue geographically
* the Fed Ex Cup play off events to take place later in the year, after the Ryder Cup
* Ryder Cup could then move a few weeks earlier in September (which would definitely help with daylight issues)
* Would also like to see the WGC events be much more international - a links event would be great and again, take these round the world rather than holding everything in America.

Main issue with these changes is that the Fed Ex Cup is pretty much set in stone to take place before the NFL starts in America. The NFL basically takes in all the sports coverage and golf doesn't get much air time. Potentially this could be addressed by maybe having 3 day events or events scheduled to finish on the Saturday (NFL matches played on a Sunday).

Possibly a 3 day event where you go out in reverse order of Fed Ex ranking could be quite appealing with a limited field to end the season. More likely to have a tight finish as well over 54 holes.

Other issue with changes to the schedule (and having more international events) is that everything revolves around American TV and they obviously want to see golf played in the Afternoon for a US audience. The evening may be ok, but there just isn't anywhere that you could play that would result in evening coverage in America. (maybe if they played morning events in Japan, Korea or Australia could work).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 18588

Other issue with changes to the schedule (and having more international events) is that everything revolves around American TV and they obviously want to see golf played in the Afternoon for a US audience. The evening may be ok, but there just isn't anywhere that you could play that would result in evening coverage in America. (maybe if they played morning events in Japan, Korea or Australia could work).

All of your points are valid but you continue to overlook the major issue.

The golf market and TV audience in the USA absolutely dwarfs that in the UK, Europe or anywhere else.

As a result America will continue to dictate broadcast schedules and venues and the best players in the world will gravitate to the PGA Tour.