The 150th Open

Larry long dog

Visit site
It's still the course where most Pros would prefer to win at though!
What if, come the 72nd hole, you needed a birdie to win or force playoff, It's a great hole for that situation. The particularly good weather that has made the course rock hard has certainly had an effect this year though. Tournament golf is still a battle between players, with the course merely the board on which he battle is fought. Augusta's finishing hole isn't a particular challenging one either btw!

Agree with your other points, but the tee shot on the 18th at Augusta is as narrow and tough as they come and the greens a marble stair case.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They've been starting at 6.35 the last 2 days......
The reasons for the pace of play are well known but it only takes a couple of Schauffele-style incidents and it gets worse.
Plus, if the forecasts are correct, it's going to cloud over from about 8 and that'll drop the light levels....I can just see Rory or Smith trying to read the break on the 18th Green illuminated by headlights...:ROFLMAO:

If you re read your original post )#455 you said they started at 8.35.

I would not know as I am only just getting up by then:ROFLMAO: (most days)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
[QUOTE="Swango1980, post: 2524611, member: 26510"]I wonder how many non-golfers would appreciate their license fee being spent to show 4 days of golf? And, with much inferior quality. Sky obviously broadcast many golf tournaments, so they have the infrastructure and staff in place to go and do it well. If the BBC was to show the Open, even if it was every year, I'm pretty sure the coverage would be awful in comparison. I hated the last few times they broadcast it.[/QUOTE]

Probably the same as I do when they show the indoor bowls championship and crufts! Get what people are saying about golf in general, but it’s The Open, our Open, watched and revered around the world, it should be on the bbc.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Read some stat along the lines of that of first 50 who've teed off today 32 are under par for their round.
Looks like it's set up for one of the leaders to go very low

Red devil

Visit site
[QUOTE="Swango1980, post: 2524611, member: 26510"]I wonder how many non-golfers would appreciate their license fee being spent to show 4 days of golf? And, with much inferior quality. Sky obviously broadcast many golf tournaments, so they have the infrastructure and staff in place to go and do it well. If the BBC was to show the Open, even if it was every year, I'm pretty sure the coverage would be awful in comparison. I hated the last few times they broadcast it.

Probably the same as I do when they show the indoor bowls championship and crufts! Get what people are saying about golf in general, but it’s The Open, our Open, watched and revered around the world, it should be on the bbc.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. But the R&A along with TCCB, Formula 1,Rugby league and the Premier league chose the highest bidder and market forces spoke.
But rest assured most if not all of this money was being used "to grow the game at a grassroots level". And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably the same as I do when they show the indoor bowls championship and crufts! Get what people are saying about golf in general, but it’s The Open, our Open, watched and revered around the world, it should be on the bbc.
BBC showing athletics at the moment. They only have low rent sports, or ones that are minority or slipped out of public consciousness. The Open is too big for them now. I did think their coverage was perfectly good when they had it, and would prefer that they did.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Today could be your day. Cracking 65 from KK ?

(Just seen your post above ?. In with a chance though)
Course getting yet another pummelling. I wonder at what point does the R&A, even privately, consider the current combination of long hitting and classic courses no longer provides a total test of golf ? For me, we are already at that point.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Course getting yet another pummelling. I wonder at what point does the R&A, even privately, consider the current combination of long hitting and classic courses no longer provides a total test of golf ? For me, we are already at that point.
Please..just stop.
We know
We've heard..
Most of us don't care...

D

Deleted member 15344

BBC showing athletics at the moment. They only have low rent sports, or ones that are minority or slipped out of public consciousness. The Open is too big for them now. I did think their coverage was perfectly good when they had it, and would prefer that they did.

Well apart from broadcasting the two biggest sporting events with World Cup and Olympics , plus of course Euros etc etc

The BBC have to cater for all - not just golf fans , football fans , rugby fans etc

They don’t have “dedicated” Sports channels

We pay £100plus quid a year and that needs to stretch to cover everything including the radio , online etc

The Open isn’t “too big” for them - it was a sporting event that was “protected” meaning it could only be on terrestrial Telly but as soon as that was removed the R&A were always selling the rights to Sky or BT Sport because they could afford to outbid the BBC

I’m not a fan of sky but if I want to watch the sport I need to pay the subscription- and Sky do a very good job of broadcasting it

D

Deleted member 15344

Most don’t care

The players don’t care , the fans don’t care

The score that wins won’t matter - there is nothing that comes close to winning The Open at TOC

The cut was level par - it’s not getting pummelled, stop dribbling on about it