Texas Scrambles - a good measure of your game

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
This weekend I'm due to play in a Texas Scramble round my home turf. Played in a few at other courses and I love them. The reason- they're the best measure of your whole game and soon show up your own weaknesses. I soon learn that my chips never get picked as the best shot and that most 18 handicappers can play them better than I do.

Had a great Scramble around Downfield earlier this year where our team thought they were doing well. Got beat by 9 shots by our opponents in front who were holing pitches (and a full 6 iron) for eagles! Mental but great fun.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Totally agree John. We had a 56.4 (SS71) and were nowhere.
We had a great time and had a wee sweep for most shots picked by same group member. The winner got 3 double whiskies ...... Happy days.

Teetotal

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really like the social aspect to a texas scramble and its a good way of meeting new people. Have you ever played a format where everyone drives, you pick the best drive and then do your own thing from that point onwards. It knocked 10 shots off my usual score!

ace_in_the_pack

Medal Winner
Visit site
Texas Scrambles are definitely the most fun format and always make a nice change from the usual.

Have played in a few in last 2 years, recently we shot udner par and won the gross competition at a charity event only to be denied by some very dodgy handicaps.

But last year, playing with a few mates from the club off 1, 3, and 5 at the time - i was off 6 at the time - we shot a 53 (Par 71) gross, im not sure what the handicap system was but we won quite convincingly, even managed an eagle on stroke index 1, where I (thankfully) holed out from 165 with a 7-iron, it was also our final hole of the round due to the shotgun start, but it was the most fun I have had on a golf course ever i think

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I haven't played T/S in years....but sure as anything we shot low!!! By "a good measure" you mean discovering that everyone else does stuff better!
Many moons ago I got paired up with a monster driver in a format where we chose the best drive and went from there individualy. I kid you not......we took my first shot once and we played well under par. It was amazing, taking 8s and 9s to the long holes. He couldn't hit any irons so together, we were good.
I'm surprised you were ever chipping.....none of you hit the green???
Dave

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The only time I've played in a TS was a few years ago in the Middle East. It was Christmas Day and I really enjoyed it! What made it most interesting was that there were four of us in the team, including a lady player, and we had to use each player's tee shot at least four times. Tactics were interesting as we had to use the worst player's tee shot as soon as he hit anything reasonable and the lady player's when she had the 100 yard advantage they had on certain holes.