Texas Scramble allowances

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have a comp. next week and The Course Handicaps are 19 x10%, 8x15%, 6x20% and 3x25% =1.9, 1.2, 1.2 and 0.75. Are the playing handicaps 2, 1,1 and 1 OR 1.9 +1.2 +1.2 +0.75 = 5.05 Bad example.

However if the total of the 4 scores had come to 4.4 what would hve been the playing handicp(allowance for the team please?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The playing handicaps are 1.9 +1.2 +1.2 +0.75 = 5.05 = 5.

Thanks, sorry to labour a point if the 4 course handicaps had been 1.6,1.6,1.6,1.6 the playing handicap i.e the number deducted once the total score has been calculated would be 6.4 rounded to 6 as opposed to 8. Is that correct RF?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks, sorry to labour a point if the 4 course handicaps had been 1.6,1.6,1.6,1.6 the playing handicap i.e the number deducted once the total score has been calculated would be 6.4 rounded to 6 as opposed to 8. Is that correct RF?

Your initial question is about rounding up or down. You add together the unrounded values of the percentage of each course handicap and then round the total up or down as rulefan confirms.

.5s are rounded up.

The team's playing handicap in your second example is therefore 6.

To be fussy and to avoid confusion, there is only one playing handicap - the team's. The percentage handicap allowance is applied to the individual players' course handicaps and the results added to get the team playing handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes.

But download this:-
https://www.my-golf.uk/whs-mixed-tee-handicap-calculator/

A tip. If you haven't got the Handicap Indices use the Course Handicap and set the Slope to 113. Course Rating and Par are irrelevant in this case so set them both to 72.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Really appreciate Colin and RF’’s efforts. In our case our course handicaps are 22, 6, 6 and 2 which equates to 2.2, 0.9, 1.2 and 0.5 =4.8, rounded to 5. Hope all is good so far.

Previously, which no longer applies, there would have been <30 handicaps, now playing handicaps, from say 4.0/4.1 etc to 7. Now there will only be say 4 playing handicaps 4,5,6,7. Therefore there will be more reliance on countback Scores.

Have a got this right?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, your figures are correct and you're also right to say there will be more countbacks. You are also likely to see lower scores as the WHS system produces higher team handicaps than using a tenth of the aggregate handicaps.

I don't know what software your club uses, but ClubV1 has handled a couple of scrambles for us impeccably - including the countbacks.

badgergm

Visit site
Unfortunately when we had a scramble a few weeks ago, the handicap secretary decided that unrounded playing handicaps should be used, i.e. to one decimal place. Just does what he wants I think.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, your figures are correct and you're also right to say there will be more countbacks. You are also likely to see lower scores as the WHS system produces higher team handicaps than using a tenth of the aggregate handicaps.

I don't know what software your club uses, but ClubV1 has handled a couple of scrambles for us impeccably - including the countbacks.

We had one yesterday. We use IG and it worked perfectly well, winners decided on back 6.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Colin if the Course handicap was 13 x25% =3.25. Would the figure be 3.2,0R 3.3. What I was trying to clarify was whether to 1 or 2 decimal points. Thank you
The individual allowances are calculated to 2 dec places. So in this case it would be 3.25.
The individual allowance values are summed and rounded to a whole number for the team playing handicap

Have you tried the calculator in #5 ?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The individual allowances are calculated to 2 dec places. So in this case it would be 3.25.
The individual allowance values are summed and rounded to a whole number for the team playing handicap

Have you tried the calculator in #5 ?
Yes I did try it D but I could not download on my iPad