Tennis elbow

Whydowedoit

Hacker
Visit site
Well I had a lesson & the pro got me to narrow my backswing (I was swaying off the ball big time) & hit down on the ball. I probably took it too literally but when you hit a lot of balls in practise, it obviously aggravated a weakness. I couldn't pick up a club in my left or right hand only. It was really painful.

Anoetic

Visit site
As well as golf I also rock climb, and naturally put an awful lot of strain through my fingers, elbows, and shoulders, and in the past I have suffered from both tennis and golfers elbow, but no more. With golfers/tennis elbow you have placed a lot of strain through your wrists, elbows, and shoulders and you are reacting to it, and this is simply because your muscles work in pairs but that’s not how you are exercising. You need to work on the antagonistic exercises to work the opposite muscles to the ones you are naturally strengthening. In a lot of people this is found in the shoulders and triceps, hence why most pros now also hit the gym.
in order to start to cure the problem start to gently stretch out the tendon, and as mentioned the theraband flex bar is a great way of doing this…as the pain decreases you then need to start to build the supporting muscles, again a good way to start are narrow press ups where your elbows touch your sides as you push…. But the most important thing is that when the pain has gone you have to continue the exercises otherwise the problem will come back..
It is a degenerative issue, don’t look for the short term fix like the elbow straps, they may make the elbow feel better, but the damage will be getting worse

Anoetic

Visit site
I tried a light gym program but that just made things worse. Complete rest is the only thing which worked for me, frusrating as it is.
Jumping straight into a light gym session would make it worse depending on the severity of the injury. Very light stretching/ massage is the way to go first, it makes the recovery quicker than just complete rest as tendons like to be worked. light gym afterwards on the antagonistic exercises is the prevention that is then needed.
see the link below for the best golfers elbow stretch and explanation without a flex bar
Tennis elbow needs a slighty different stretch