"Tending the flag" question

G

guest100718

17-1 - Flagstick Attended, Removed or Held Up
Note 1: If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.

Should have gone to Specsavers?:rolleyes:

Seems a bit of an odd rule, but I can guess I see why its there.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
another scenario I have seen happen is FC attending flag and tries to remove it when the ball is on it's way, only for the pin to 'jam' and the whole cup comes out the ground, the ball hits the cup which is now above the ground level and stops dead, neither holed nor hits flagstick...........

ruling?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
another scenario I have seen happen is FC attending flag and tries to remove it when the ball is on it's way, only for the pin to 'jam' and the whole cup comes out the ground, the ball hits the cup which is now above the ground level and stops dead, neither holed nor hits flagstick...........

ruling?

Maybe the flying pigs could knock the ball in the hole and it still count as they don't really exist...? ;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thanks, I knew it was just bad luck rub of the green type thing and you played the ball as it lay (even though it was going in:( ) however I didnt know about the liner 'moving' and much harder to rule on as the flag would have to have been lifted out by the FC with just inches to go and most do it well beforehand.......

Best process which I do, and many have already stated, is to ensure the flag is free to move before the putt is struck.......

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As long as the ball didn't bounce out, that's all right. See Decision 16/5.5

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-16/#16/5.5

OK, I've read that and I have to question what the point of the wording is.
To specify that the ball must be at rest but then have a definition clearly saying that the ball doesn't actually have to be at rest is absurd...it's either one of the other........
This is the type of wording of Rules that causes these Rule Myths....

At one point on the course a ball that is moving is deemed to be at rest but at another point on the course it's still moving....

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
a definition clearly saying that the ball doesn't actually have to be at rest is absurd

Definition

A ball is Holed
when it is at rest within the circumference of the Hole and all of it is below the level of the lip of the Hole.What does your comment mean?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From Colin's post above..

16/5.5
Player Holes Short Putt and Allegedly Removes Ball from Hole Before It Is at Rest

Q.A player strikes a short putt into the hole and removes the ball from the hole. His opponent or a fellow-competitor claims he heard the ball bouncing in the bottom of the hole-liner at the time the player was removing the ball from the hole, and therefore the ball cannot be considered holed in view of the Definition of "Holed" which states: "A ball is holed when it is at rest within the circumference of the hole … ." What is the ruling?

A.The ball is holed. The words "at rest" are in the Definition of "Holed" to make it clear that if a ball falls below the lip and thereafter bounces out, it is not holed.

The ball is clearly not "at rest" as it's still rattling around at the bottom of the cup....for it to be at rest it can't be making any noise.

I fully understand the ruling but what I'm saying is this is where golfing myths can originate.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
To specify that the ball must be at rest but then have a definition clearly saying that the ball doesn't actually have to be at rest is absurd...it's either one of the other........

I think you got the definition and the decision the wrong way round.

The decision says the ball was 'bouncing'. But it did not bounce out. This is a very specific and probably very rare situation and I suspect very few people are even aware of the decision.

My experience of golfing myths is that most of them were never in the rules in the first place.

Bouncing out is often encountered and the words in the decision clarify
" that if a ball falls below the lip and thereafter bounces out
, it is not holed."

In reality, a ball reversing direction (ie dropping vertically and rebounding vertically) it actually stationary for a brief moment.

Last edited: