Temperature effects on distances?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a rule over the past 4 years my distances have dropped due to several factors, but prior to lockdown I was extremely shocked by just how much.

Now I’m not taking the full blame here as it was 1* with what XC weather said was a steady 15-17mph cold cross wind that was slightly into. The shock come from a well struck 6irob carrying 135-140, with a couple hitting 145 carry.

During the summer months I would expect a carry of 160-165 so this is equating to a rough drop of 25-30 yards, around 18%

Out of interest do people have a rule of thumb for calculating reduced winter distances. IE standard carry distances based on 20*, 5% off for every 5* below?

Note, fully expecting stick for weak distances but this is a work in progress.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Anyway..as I may or may not have posted once or twice down the years....
Approx 1 yard per 3° below 70° F is what you lose purely down to temperature
Other factors kick in too.(y)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So 1* would equate to 34* Fahrenheit. 36* difference so 13 yards. ?

That would equate to 155 ish then a 17mph wind would confirm the other 5-10 yards.

Kinda works out, cheers buddy.

D

Deleted member 3432

As a rule over the past 4 years my distances have dropped due to several factors, but prior to lockdown I was extremely shocked by just how much.

Now I’m not taking the full blame here as it was 1* with what XC weather said was a steady 15-17mph cold cross wind that was slightly into. The shock come from a well struck 6irob carrying 135-140, with a couple hitting 145 carry.

During the summer months I would expect a carry of 160-165 so this is equating to a rough drop of 25-30 yards, around 18%

Out of interest do people have a rule of thumb for calculating reduced winter distances. IE standard carry distances based on 20*, 5% off for every 5* below?

Note, fully expecting stick for weak distances but this is a work in progress.

If its really cold add a couple of clubs, if its really cold and the air is damp add another club.

If its windy add one, two, three or four clubs as required....

Nothing shocking about the ball wanting to fall out of the air in winter especially when you are playing off iffy lies where the strike is going to be less than perfect.

D

Deleted member 3432

So 1* would equate to 34* Fahrenheit. 36* difference so 13 yards. ?

That would equate to 155 ish then a 17mph wind would confirm the other 5-10 yards.

Kinda works out, cheers buddy.

Forget temps, after a couple off holes just keep clubbing up until you keep coming up short. Amazing how much more club you can add and still not go long.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Generally in the winter I have always clubbed up one and normally play the back of the green distance. If I pure it softer greens generally hold, if it’s a bit of a poor strike it’s generally there or there abouts

I was just really shocked between November 19 distances and December 20.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me it is cool plus half a club
getting cold plus one club
It is cold plus 2 clubs
What am I doing here plus 3 clubs

You need to factor in layers of clothing as well as you are never going to swing in winter woolies as well as just a polo and shorts.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think this thread proves the fact that regular tracer sessions through the year are worthwhile just for distancing checking as air density will change, temps will change, freedom of swing etc.

YandaB

Visit site
I much prefer to go with a percentage difference, the impact on a long wood/iron is much bigger than a wedge. I go for 5% less at about 10+ degrees and 10 % at nearer to zero compared to summer distances.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Y&A, like you I’m a percentage man because as you say 15% on a 200yrd club is a greater impact than that on your gap wedge.

What I was shocked at was how much tighter the difference was between irons, ie your normal gap of 15-20 yards dropped closer to 5-10

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ha ha great description ?

This could be total nonsense but I wonder if the performance of steel shafts is affected too?
It seems logical that in freezing conditions a steel shaft would flex and bend less than it does in 80 degrees... That's purely thinking out loud, no idea if there's any truth in that or not.

I had mate that used to have one set with steel shafts and one set with graphite the latter he would use in winter.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
to lessen the effect of cold on distance always ensure your balls are warm:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tried yelling the misses that I’m hitting like a lady because she doesn’t warm my balls before I play and my shafts cold, “ store you clubs by the bloody radiator then “

Clearly well over her head!

Did contemplate playing regulars in the winter.